Having trouble with objects

Started by TheHostileBanana, Sun 10/04/2016 01:52:15

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHostileBanana

Today I started learning how to use ags and followed the tutorial without to much difficulty until I got to the objects part. I had previously had some trouble with the hotspots because for some reason the phrase "this door looks pretty solid" always showed up just after the description of one of the hotspots I had created. After unsuccessfully checking the script for any sign of this phrase, I gave up on fixing it and went on. Later, wile learning how to use objects, I found out there was an object that I hadn't created in the room. Since it was a door, I assumed it was what was causing that phrase to show up in a completely random place. I tried to deleted the door but after doing that and launching the game I get this error:  room1.asc(7): Error (line 7): undefined symbol 'oDoor'
I tried relaunching ags and deleting it again but I ran into the same problem every time I tried to save. I haven't found a solution for this anywhere. Please help.

Gurok

There's not enough information in the description provided to help you.

What was the error message you received?
Which game template (if any) were you using?
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Danvzare

If I had to take a wild guess at what the problem is (and trust me, this is a wild guess, since you've not given enough information), I'd say that somehow you've ended up with that certain hotspot calling that door's look at function, and now that the door (and its function) is gone, the game is unhappy that it can't find the function.

But like I said, its just a wild guess. A shot in the dark.

Like Gurok said, we need to know the error message you received.

TheHostileBanana

The error is: room1.asc(7): Error (line 7): undefined symbol 'oDoor'

Danvzare

Can you give us the room script for room1 as well.
From there, we should be able to figure it out. :)

Slasher

QuoteThe error is: room1.asc(7): Error (line 7): undefined symbol 'oDoor'
Did you rename / delete function etc ?

Khris

You're using the 9verb template to follow the tutorial, which is a bad idea. You should start a "Default Game".

Anyway, the first room's door object (oDoor) is referenced in the room script on line 7 and 55, and since you deleted the door, you should remove these lines, too, or the room won't compile.

TheHostileBanana

Quote from: Khris on Mon 11/04/2016 00:31:49
You're using the 9verb template to follow the tutorial, which is a bad idea. You should start a "Default Game".

Anyway, the first room's door object (oDoor) is referenced in the room script on line 7 and 55, and since you deleted the door, you should remove these lines, too, or the room won't compile.

Apparently the problem was that one of the hotspots had the function "oDoor" assigned to it, so I deleted the line and the function and now it's fixed. Should I restart on a default game or is there any real problem y could encounter by continuing with the 9verb template?

Mandle

The AGS tutorial is pretty good, but for a more in-depth series on AGS use I would highly recommend this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ml_DR76Cl4&list=PL21DB402CB4DAEAEF

I believe the files needed to work-along with this series might be missing or hard to track down, but you don't really need them: Either just watch the vids and absorb the info, or create your own simple backgrounds/sprites to test the methodology step-by-step if you prefer the hands-on approach...

I started learning AGS with this series as did many others here and there isn't much that it doesn't cover.

Highly recommended!

TheHostileBanana

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 11/04/2016 07:12:27
The AGS tutorial is pretty good, but for a more in-depth series on AGS use I would highly recommend this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ml_DR76Cl4&list=PL21DB402CB4DAEAEF

I believe the files needed to work-along with this series might be missing or hard to track down, but you don't really need them: Either just watch the vids and absorb the info, or create your own simple backgrounds/sprites to test the methodology step-by-step if you prefer the hands-on approach...

I started learning AGS with this series as did many others here and there isn't much that it doesn't cover.

I'll check it out! Thanks

Highly recommended!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk