Character Suggestions II

Started by SilverSpook, Thu 21/04/2016 14:26:19

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverSpook

Work in progress of a corporate executive-type character.  She intentionally looks like she was bred in a eugenics lab -- in the world of Neofeud, rich people have custom-made bodies that they change like clothes.

Comments / suggestions welcome!

Cassiebsg

So... they custom made her arms and legs intentionaly skeleton size? 8-0
They look way too thin to my eyes. I like the rest though. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 21/04/2016 14:31:40
So... they custom made her arms and legs intentionaly skeleton size? 8-0
They look way too thin to my eyes. I like the rest though. (nod)
I agree that the arms may look a bit small, and the black top could use a hint of texture (now it sort of looks like a black hole/ part of the background), though I think that the unnatural Barbie-physique and the super long legs tie in nicely with the eugenics as she literally stands above the common folk. Amazing work!

Khris

I wanted to ask how she's supposed to move in that skirt, but after googling "pencil skirt", that's actually how tight they are (roll)(laugh)
My only critique is that her right hand looks tiny, while her feet are quite long, even given the angle.

I'll also recommend putting her on a neutral background; painting on black is a bad idea.

SilverSpook

Thanks for the suggestions Cassie and BlondBraid!

I'll see about increasing the width of the arms and legs, but I do like the idea of conveying an unnatural "gengineered" vibe.  Like a vat-bred Fox News anchor.  A grotesque platonic ideal milked from the psyches of the American-Republican elite.

Cassiebsg

Well, don't change her if that's what you going for, but you risk players thinking "he can't draw right", rather than realizing that the disproportion is intended. First I was going to ask if she suffered from bulimia or anorexia, but then noticed her face did not had the same characteristic "features".

AnasAbdin

I just noticed this thread after checking her on your GiP thread.
I think she's too thin for a human if that's your intention 8-)
I already mentioned in the GiP thread that a piece of jewelry would be a nice touch around the long neck. I'm not sure about the side pocket thingy in the skirt. Leather gloved business women do not wear skirts with pockets ;) they use bags :-D

SilverSpook

QuoteI think she's too thin for a human if that's your intention...

...they custom made her arms and legs intentionaly skeleton size?

Runway models intentionally skeleton size themselves, yes. :)

Hm...  I think possibly the right arm could be resized a bit and the left is actually occluded by shadow (might touch that up).  But I'm using this sort of style as reference:

The supermodel shape generally involves a certain height and unnatural thinness.  I think it's a fairly recognizable body type.  These characters need to stand against the highly "flawed", bedraggled slum-dwellers whose bodies are literally falling apart in some cases (the ghetto robots) and some of which are genetic experiment throw-aways (transgenics).  The differences in the bodies should be as stark as the differences in their homes as seen in this pic:

Also, I doubt anyone will think "He can't draw right" because the rest of the art is all... Well I don't want to brag but it's reasonably on-point. :)  There will also be male counterparts and other versions of this model, but all very light-skinned, tall, and supermodelish. 

Here's a sample (still WIP) of one of the male "Stratoplexians" as I like to call them.

@BlondBraid: You're right about the shirt inside, haven't gotten to adding some detail yet.

@AnasAbdin: You're also right about the jewelry.  She needs to get blinged as ****.  When you're a billionaire it's   "Treat yourself" day every day.   :)

Cassiebsg

Well, just pointing out that the first picture you posted has that bulimic/anorexic face I talked about (check bones sunken in, making it look like a skeleton with skin on - beats me how that can a sign of "beauty" in our days (roll) ).
The second is perfect for your example of engineered people though. (laugh) But then you need accentuate her breast-hip-waist curves. If you compare your pictures, yours has much more meat on the waist, giving her a much more "chubby" look, that then is not corresponded with the arms and legs

This is of course just my opinion and just meant to give you something to think about. ;)

SilverSpook

I'm not sure I see what you're talking about now.  I think perhaps you're projecting a little. :) But that's cool.  The character is supposed to create strong feelings of resentment.  :)

Blondbraid

Quotebeats me how that can a sign of "beauty" in our days (roll)
Not to mention that most models are heavily photo-shopped ass well, but then again Francis Bacon did say that there is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion. Then again, he also said that the best part of beauty is that which no picture can express. :-\
I really love the idea of deliberately choosing to make her unrealistic, perhaps showing that the "real humans" can be just as unnatural as the robots and cyborgs...
Anyway, I think it's important to make the unnatural parts look like a deliberate stylistic choice, rather than an unintentional side effect of trying to idealize a beautiful person.
I'd say the comic heroines of Rob Liefeld is a good example of the latter! ;).

Danvzare

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 22/04/2016 22:44:10
Well, just pointing out that the first picture you posted has that bulimic/anorexic face I talked about (check bones sunken in, making it look like a skeleton with skin on - beats me how that can a sign of "beauty" in our days (roll) ).
The second is perfect for your example of engineered people though. (laugh) But then you need accentuate her breast-hip-waist curves. If you compare your pictures, yours has much more meat on the waist, giving her a much more "chubby" look, that then is not corresponded with the arms and legs

This is of course just my opinion and just meant to give you something to think about. ;)

You make a good point there, a much thinner waist to emphasize the breast-hip-waist curves, would definitely help promote the style he's going for.
After all, people wore corsets for a reason. If you've got genetic engineering on your side (and a warped sense of beauty), you'd give your body a natural corset look.
It would also match in with her slightly overly thin arms and legs.

SilverSpook

The initial suitskirt design was fairly firm material.  This second version has more stress lines and draws in at the waist a bit more.  Also thickened the limbs up a bit.

Also it's a different character (suit change forthcoming), but of the same Neofeudal class, with her own geostationarily orbiting timeshare and aeroyacht.  :)  I need to make several of these future Lords and Ladies that will be populating the Stratoplex.

Also, NECKLACE!!!  @AnasAbdin

Kumpel

Second version looks more natural to me (still the feet too long compared to the hands, as Khris suggested), but the necklace is much too shiny. It doesn't match with your other light design imho. Stands out too much.

Ark

Looks good! I think the necklace needs some shadows or else it doesn't feel like she's wearing it - more or less like this, I would suggest :) :

Blondbraid

Now she really reminds me of Bryce Dallas Howard in Jurassic world! :-D

SilverSpook

I agree the necklace could use some more tapering.  It should be fairly bright though,  being gold and such.

Also re: feet and hands-  you do realize she's wearing app 6 inch heels?  The body proportions I measured pretty precisely against an actual supermodel. 

If anyone has any useful suggestions concerring style and trying to project the character I'm trying to project (like AnasAbdin's necklace suggestion) it would be much appreciated. 

SilverSpook

Here's the lady sitting, sitting like a lady.  :)  She'll need to do a lot of this during board meetings and such.  :)

Cassiebsg

Love it! :-D(nod)

Edit: Her left arm seems still a bit off. Can't put my finger on it... it's like it's too short. Probably the angle that is cheating the eye. (roll)

Blondbraid

Nice! Did she dye her hair to match the chair? :)

Frikker

I think the left arm issue may lie with the shoulderline being slightly lower than the right, thus making the arm a bit shorter but I may be wrong now ive got the straight edge out.

Also now I look closer, the dark shadow down the inside of her upper arm and chest on her left side suggests that the primary light source is coming from the left hand side of the image, whilst the reflections/highlights on her hair suggest the opposite... just a small thing but its all in the details eh :)

SilverSpook

Thanks for the lighting check Frikker!

Ok here's the CEO of the Neofeud equivalent of Google after it becomes a trillion dollar company and becomes more evil:

He will also be in the room with the female Stratoplexian.

Blondbraid

Quote from: SilverSpook on Thu 28/04/2016 07:18:41
Ok here's the CEO of the Neofeud equivalent of Google after it becomes a trillion dollar company and becomes more evil:
He will also be in the room with the female Stratoplexian.
Well he sure looks like a bad guy, the almost-unibrow and jawline remind me of Rudolf Hess. (roll)
But the bright red tie clashes a bit color-wise with the bluish/purple color scheme in your previous screenshot. It could be pretty cool if you played up the contrast with the dirty and rust-colored poor areas and the rich areas reflecting the sky and being all silver and polished...
This game has an absolutely lovely art style! ;-D

SilverSpook

@Blondbraid: Yeah that's the concept here.  Everything from clothes to furniture to buildings to people, all super shiny and literally mint-condition.  Like nano-technologically fabricated in the last 24 hours or less, against the ancient beater cars and rusting falling-apart bodies and shanty scraplands below.

Thanks for the encouragement!

SilverSpook

Working on some emoting here.

"There's good news, and there's bad news.  The good news is, you saved a ton of money on car insurance.  The bad news is, I saved a ton of money on health insurance.  By laying you off."

Blondbraid

Hate to say it, but to me the top image looks more like a pouting child than an adult CEO, it looks a bit silly with the mouth looking like an upside-down U. :(
The second image looks great though, practically seething with schadenfreude! ;-D The only thing bugging me is the line between his mouth and left side of the nose, it looks a bit dark and bent weirdly, but otherwise great work!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk