Inspector Plustard -> The Game [Update 0.2]

Started by silverwolfpet, Mon 02/05/2016 20:37:21

Previous topic - Next topic

silverwolfpet

Howdy!

My name's Wolf, nice to meet you! Together with my brother, Mihai, we're making a game based on the "Inspector Plustard" series.
So far we've got this going:

We'll use Sierra-style dialogues (with portraits at the top of the screen).
The game will feature a Flashlight use and will be controlled via Keyboard and Mouse.

The story follows the adventures of Inspector Plustard and his associate, Johnny, as they solve a strange case. Typical murder/mystery stuff with a comedic twist.
The action of the game takes place between "The Fallen Groom" and "The Transylvanian Diamond" which are part of the "Inspector Plustard" Webseries we've been making.

The game starts off in a museum from which Plustard and Johnny have to escape because... well, spoilers. As you can see from the above image, we're slowly but surely starting to shape the game and its design style.

Progress so far:
Story: 19%  (if you focus only on the game and not the Webseries)
Rooms Finished: 9
Puzzles Implemented: 2
Music: 50% (we have the tracks and the major themes have been composed)
Scripting/Implementation: 17%

We're trying to make this in as little time as possible and we're looking into using live-video footage for the cutscenes, since the story ties in with the rest of our project.

If you have any questions, we're more than happy to answer!
Thank you for the opportunity of posting here. :D

Stupot

Looking good. Colour me interested.

silverwolfpet

AHA! First feedback, yes, thank you very much! Welcome aboard, Mr. Stupot+ ! ;)

Darth Mandarb

Please review the forum rules and update your first post accordingly.

Also if you want feedback on the graphics post in the critics lounge.

Thanks for the update.

Good luck with the production!

Blondbraid

Anyway, the game looks nice!

silverwolfpet

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Tue 03/05/2016 01:47:33
Please review the forum rules and update your first post accordingly.

Also if you want feedback on the graphics post in the critics lounge. 

Apologies - we thought that by going with a "mysterious approach" we will make it sound more interesting. Same goes for the feedback request, thought it would be more interactive for everyone. ^^'
We changed the main post accordingly, offered plenty of info and we'll keep the rules in mind when posting. Sorry for the trouble. :)

We'll take this up to the critics lounge should we not find some middle ground regarding graphics.

Thank you!!

EDIT -- UPDATE:

Decided upon the first screen of the game (respectively, a museum) and re-made the sprite for Plustard to better resemble the character.

Blondbraid

Looks like the game is coming along nicely, best of luck! ;-D

silverwolfpet

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 03/05/2016 22:34:11
Looks like the game is coming along nicely, best of luck! ;-D

Thank you kindly! :-D

Here's the latest update. We're focusing now on walking animations, dialogue portraits and a functional flashlight system.

Spoiler
[close]

CrashPL

Murder/mystery stuff with a comedic twist? You have my attention, good Sir. ;) Nice idea with the live footage as well, sounds really fun. :) Good luck with the project!

Gribbler

I love mystery detective games. Good luck with the production!

silverwolfpet

Quote from: CrashPL on Fri 06/05/2016 22:46:40
Murder/mystery stuff with a comedic twist? You have my attention, good Sir. ;) Nice idea with the live footage as well, sounds really fun. :) Good luck with the project!

Thank you very, very much! The live footage idea came from the fact that we'd like to use the game as a bridge between the Pilot Episode and The First Season.
It's just easier for us this way. Then again, we MIGHT use cutscenes as well... or a sort of combination out of those ideas. We'll just see what comes natural. :-D

Quote from: Gribbler on Sun 08/05/2016 11:42:50
I love mystery detective games. Good luck with the production!

Woo, thank you!

As intented, we're keeping you awesome, cool people updated.

We finished 4 Rooms and we're currently working on the first little puzzle. Made our first cutscene today too and it's really funny ;-D
What else, let's see...

Ah yes! We've implemented the walk-behinds AND the interaction button.
Finally made the Flashlight work smooooothly and it's really cool!  (see first post on this thread for a bigger screenshot)
We've inserted the stand-in portraits for the dialogues and so far they're working perfectly.

Made the Front and Back views for Plustard, as well as some extra sprites for the above mentioned cutscene. Working now on Johnny's sprite.
Thinking what kind of font would work nicely with the graphics we've made so far... hmmm... we'll post here if we find anything cool.

So far so good!

silverwolfpet

Heeeeeere's Johnny!

And a nice little update screenshot!

silverwolfpet

The default portraits are DONE!

Also, we implemented a few new things - you can see on the images below :-D

Mandle

This game looks to be exactly the kind of thing I LOVE!

As does the actual series itself: I will be checking that out too!

What's the easiest way to view the show? Youtube?

silverwolfpet

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 29/05/2016 15:19:47
This game looks to be exactly the kind of thing I LOVE!

As does the actual series itself: I will be checking that out too!

What's the easiest way to view the show? Youtube?

Thank you for the kind words!
Yes, youtube is the easiest way to view it. Here's a quick link to the Series' Pilot Episode on our site, you can watch it there or download it from there and watch it at Full HD Res. :3

silverwolfpet

WOAH! Busy week! 8-0

You'll notice I wrote again "Character Switch" ...because THIS time it detects the inventory ID and switches that as well, along with the correct image of their coats.  ;)

Basic movement keys:  A  and  D 
Inventory keys:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5   - quick access, no submenus or HUDs

Also, the Q key will enable/disable the inventory  (in case it bothers you)  aaaand F key will switch characters (but only in certain situations for some puzzles).

Woohoo!

silverwolfpet

Just keeping you guys updated (I hope that posting here once every few months is okay).
The game is going really well, I started polishing the last details on the intro as I move forward with the rest of it (kind of working in parallel).

Most likely I'm not gonna post new images, but I can definitely tell you that the inventory system is done (complete with bug testing and made fool proof). The facial expressions have been boosted and implemented. The voice actors have been cast. The music is being implemented as we speak. The dialogue system got a little boost which makes it a bit better than before. All known bugs have been removed from the intro part. :3

Will keep you posted (once every few months) just so you know that this game is not dead.

Danvzare

Quote from: silverwolfpet on Tue 29/11/2016 22:52:18
Will keep you posted (once every few months) just so you know that this game is not dead.
I was actually starting to think this game was dead! 8-0
I'm so happy to hear it's still alive and kicking. :-D

Although may I suggest an update once a month, perhaps with a screenshot or two.
Posting once every few months seems a bit too sporadic.

silverwolfpet

I want to make sure I don't break the rules and double-post  o.o
How about this: I promise to update this monthly, but you guys better reply so I don't double post, haha! :D Deal?

Cassiebsg

You can double-post on this thread... just as long as it's justified. (at least I think you do... if not DM will use all his dark force to squeeze my last breath out of me.... 8-0 ) (laugh)

Keep up the good work. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 02/12/2016 18:47:56
You can double-post on this thread... just as long as it's justified.
Yeah, for example. If it's been over a week, you can probably double post just to bring your thread back up. But if it's been less than twenty four hours, it's definitely better to edit your post.
Of course we'll need to Darth Mandarb to clarify this for us. :grin:

Quote from: silverwolfpet on Fri 02/12/2016 18:03:23
How about this: I promise to update this monthly, but you guys better reply so I don't double post, haha! :D Deal?
Ok, deal! (nod)

Darth Mandarb

There's really no "rule" for double-posting. I just play it by ear. If you're going to post an update once a month, and you happen to be the last person to post to the thread, there's really no problem in having two posts in a row. I wouldn't lock a thread for a double-post (unless it became a problem) anyway.

Now... let's get back on target (nod)

silverwolfpet

UPDATE:  We've completed coding a rather difficult puzzle but very satisfying game mechanic which should make it quite interesting for you guys!

Added two new rooms and continued the story PLUS we found a tester to help us out. :D

Will post new screenshots soon! Sorry for the quietness, we were working on our Fantastic Beasts Fan Film which we just launched. Many projects, haha!

Danvzare

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk