Movie Character ---> Pixelated Character (mustache issue)

Started by silverwolfpet, Tue 03/05/2016 12:55:30

Previous topic - Next topic

silverwolfpet

As promised, here is Johnny!
What do you think? ;-D We pretty much like how he turned out and we're aiming to make the hair move as he walks. Nothing too fancy, just visually pleasing. ^^

Danvzare

Very nice indeed, and a good likeness of the character. Nice artstyle as well.

The only bit of critisism I could give, is the 90 degree angle on Johnny's left shoulder (the right side of the picture).
Personally, I'd smoothen it off a bit, like this:
[imgzoom]http://orig04.deviantart.net/3307/f/2016/141/b/7/johnny_by_danvzare-da38b7z.png[/imgzoom]

silverwolfpet

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 20/05/2016 10:06:47
Very nice indeed, and a good likeness of the character. Nice artstyle as well.

The only bit of critisism I could give, is the 90 degree angle on Johnny's left shoulder (the right side of the picture).
Personally, I'd smoothen it off a bit, like this:
[imgzoom]http://orig04.deviantart.net/3307/f/2016/141/b/7/johnny_by_danvzare-da38b7z.png[/imgzoom]

Awesomesauce! Thanks for pointing that out - we fixed it now :-D

Well, excellent news - Johnny has his full walk-cycle. Plustard as well.
Onwards to the portraits!

Warning! Actual image size!
Spoiler
[close]

So far we have this going on, and we're preeeeetty sure it's not a good art decision. I mean, yeah, we have the actors who can pose live for this (which is an advantage) but we don't wanna take the player out of the mood. The small number of pixels might suggest that we should use stylized versions or cartoonified... what are your thoughts on this?

Maybe adding a background to them might make things look better? Or perhaps the style itself is not ok (by using photorealistic pics). Hmmm...

Blondbraid

I'm not sure whether photos or cartoon style would be a better choice, but I do think
it would be good to use a background for the portraits so they don't melt into the background...

silverwolfpet

Perhaps a background would make it too big/blocky?  This is what we have so far.

silverwolfpet

What about Johnny. Do they both look okay?
We're about to tackle the facial expressions and we need to make sure the base/default image is looking awesome.

Danvzare

Maybe it's just me, but Johnny's portrait looks a little creepy.
Those wide eyes and that big smile, come together to create a rather unsettling image. At least, in my mind.

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

silverwolfpet

Okay okay, how about these versions?

We think Plustard's Portrait is 100% finished.
Not sure about Johnny though, but he does look a bit more human. What do you think?

Danvzare

I love the circle and triangle backdrops on the portraits.
Johnny's portrait still gives me the creeps though. It's the white above Johnny's eyes that make him look like a serial killer.

Here's my quick fix:
[imgzoom]http://orig11.deviantart.net/507d/f/2016/150/4/b/johnny_portrait_by_danvzare-da4b0em.png[/imgzoom]

Haggis

The 'lunatic' look though is actually in keeping with Johnny's character - I've seen the pilot episode and lets just say he's not all there. The portrait is actually pretty good in that regard.

Danvzare

Quote from: Haggis on Sun 29/05/2016 10:08:19
The 'lunatic' look though is actually in keeping with Johnny's character - I've seen the pilot episode and lets just say he's not all there. The portrait is actually pretty good in that regard.
Oh, well in that case keep it as is. It's perfect. 8-)

I should really watch that pilot episode.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk