AdventureJam 2016

Started by DarkWater, Wed 04/05/2016 13:07:21

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkWater

For those interested, AdventureJam 2016 starts this Friday May 6th and runs until May 20th
http://www.adventurejam.org

When checking out their “Resources” page, I thought it was cool that AGS was the first name on the list :-D

Stupot

A few AGS games came out of last year's AdventureJam (including Foundations, Pendek, Blind to Siberia, Late Last Night, What's in the Safe? and my own Power Nap, to name a few). I won't be taking part this year as I won't have time but I'm eager to see what is produced and will be cheering on any AGSers. Are you having a go, DW?

DarkWater

I'm really thinking about, but it largely depends on the answer to a question I sent them regarding graphics assets. :-\

SinSin

I am busy planning for this, Hopefully I will have something worth entering by the completion date.
Being a dad of two with a day job which often ends at 10:30 pm this could be a tricky. 8-)
Currently working on a project!

DarkWater

Ok, I just checked my email, and I got the reply back from them I was hoping for :-D

On their FAQ page they have a Q regarding if using pre-existing 3D models is allowed, to which their answer was…

“A: Creating a 3D game from the ground up can be rough when it needs to be done within a time span of 2 weeks. You are free to reuse any assets, or use freeware or commercially available assets. We only ask that you do not create any new assets specific to your AdventureJam game until May 6, 9:00PM EST.
If using freeware or commercially available assets, please credit the original creators.
”

That answer seemed to be a bit 3D specific, so I had inquired if using freeware/commercially available 2D assets was allowed as well, to which Cassie replied…

“Yes, you can use freeware/commercially available 2D assets.”

Since the Rules/FAQ didn't mention it specifically, I also asked if that goes for sound effects and music as well?
And Cassie's reply was…

“Absolutely! We have some links on our Resources tab if you need an idea on where to look for sound/music :) “

Since I only have minimal graphics editing/manipulating skills (which is why the only MAGS I've ever entered was the RotN one), I wasn't sure if I could enter. But now that I know for sure that you can use open source graphics, I might just throw my hat into the ring ;-D

SinSin

right on dude not get some planning done !!   and good luck man ;)

Gord10

I am planning to make a Unity re-make of Triangle Head's Adventure, but a pixel artist will re-draw the game.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

SinSin

Quote from: Gord10 on Thu 05/05/2016 15:39:56
I am planning to make a Unity re-make of Triangle Head's Adventure, but a pixel artist will re-draw the game.

Yeahh.

DarkWater

Quote from: Sinsin on Wed 04/05/2016 20:37:03
right on dude not get some planning done !!   and good luck man ;)

Thanx
Hopefully, I can come up with and sketch out rough plot in time :-\

DarkWater

Well… it's only been 24 hours and already there are 55 entries. 8-0

I did a quick glace through a few of them, and couple already have games uploaded. Yeah, like you waited till Friday to start, and didn't just upload a game you had already been working on for awhile >:( :-X

SinSin

Yeah it annoyed me at first too, but nevermind make it more about testing yourself. I'm 2 backgrounds in now and whether I make it in time remains to be seen. (nod)

DarkWater

As well as testing yourself, it also helps to get your name out there and on people's radar ;)

You're way ahead of me, I have a couple ideas, but nothing really fleshed out yet. Since you can use open source graphics, and my graphic skills are lacking, I'm considering making another RoN themed game :-\

BTW, I noticed that one of the recent entries mentioned their game is based on an earlier MAGS theme they had an idea for. So it looks like other AGS members are entering the JAM too :)

SinSin

Will be great to see everyone's ideas. I just hope I can keep up the momentum :-D

I have my player character. Just need to animate him after that I need a plot ...

Yes I'm doing this all backward lol..

DarkWater

Same here… I have a main character and backgrounds, now to form a plausible plot and puzzles around them ;)

I've narrowed down my 3 potential scenarios to the one whose plot is most likely to be completed in time. I decided to use the RoN Space Station theme pack, rather then the whole RoN town assets, which should help keep me from going overboard :-\

Also, I took a quick peek at the entries, which is now up to 74, and noticed that someone has enter what, based on their preview pics, looks like more of platformer/sidescoller game ???

Gord10

I am going good. I found an artist, she didn't start working yet, though.

Code: c#

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

namespace RoomScripts
{
    public class THA_Room_3 : AE_Room
    {
        public AudioClip acScream;

public override void RoomStart()
        {
            base.RoomStart();
            PlaySound(acScream, false);
            Wait(3.0f);
            Say("I shift shape.");
            Wait(1.0f);
            ChangeRoom(4);
        }
    }
}

I am writing an adventure system on Unity that allows me write scripts like above. It stacks commands in an array, then executes them in order.

The programming of the intro is completed, you can play it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j59cvi4yoym32y6/THA_Intro.rar
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

SinSin

I'm gonna check that out Gordo.. I actually cant wait!!

My scope has outstretched itself majorly here.. I'm thinking that my game will be a prelude to a full length one.. :-[

Gord10

I have completed the "engine"! All the required commands work and I am able to finish the game. All that's left are graphics, interaction scripts and voice acting.

Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Gord10

Game works in English!
What's left:
* Voice acting
* Graphics (he hasn't started yet, I hope he can finish in 1 week)

I have also written the room objects' code so that they have highlight sprites. They are automatically shown when cursor is on them. I guess there wasn't an easy way in AGS, am I wrong?
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

DarkWater

I had a family emergency this past weekend, and haven't had any time free time all week, so it looks like I won't be entering this year.

Good luck to all of you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk