AGS 3.4.0.7 - Almost Beta

Started by Crimson Wizard, Thu 05/05/2016 18:53:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

Sure, I'll PM it to you.

I'm sure it's probably just my bad messy code. And actually, that may exactly be the problem, have no idea what the game.inv_activated value is... it should be zero (I think) cause I haven't activated anything. That part of the code was actually on my "to improve" list, but since it was working I haven't bothered with it yet.

Anyway, in the mean time, I'm back using 3.4.0.6 so I can continue coding.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 07/05/2016 00:46:56
I'm sure it's probably just my bad messy code.
Even with messy script, game should not crash like that. This exception indicates that something very bad is going on inside the engine.

BTW, I think I found something related, but then if I am right, I cannot tell how it could work before...

For your case, try to add "game.inv_activated > 0" condition, like:
Code: ags

if ((IsInteractionAvailable(clicked_x , clicked_y, eModeTalkto)) || 
    (game.inv_activated > 0 && inventory[game.inv_activated].IsInteractionAvailable(eModeTalkto)))

Cassiebsg

Okay that did it! :-D

Thanks bunch! It also seemed to have solved a "glitched" I had on it before.
Funny, that after you asked about what the value for that was, I also started thinking that 0 was a value and would always turn it to be "true".

Crimson Wizard

I found there is a bug which exists at least since AGS 3.2.1. If you do

inventory[game.inv_activated].IsInteractionAvailable(...)

when game.inv_activated = 0, the game will crash.

I will add this to bug tracker.

I honestly do not know how that could pass for you before.

cat

Great news! Looking forward to using it with the next project.

abstauber

Terrific news - thanks for your hard work.
Btw: Is the official Bugtracker now located at Youtrack or is it still this forum's module?

Monsieur OUXX

I, for one, would like to salute the new additions to the scripting language, which is slowly starting to lose all its little marks of awkwardness.

Atavismus

Dave Gilbert

Downloaded and testing now! Will dutifully update this thread if there are any problems. I'm replying now merely to echo the "Thanks CW!" praises of everyone else. Thanks CW!

Dave Gilbert

Everything works fine so far, but when I run a test build I get this dialog window:

I can hit the "run" button and play the game, but is there a way to get rid of this completely? I've tried unchecking the "Always ask before opening this file" box, I've tried running in admin mode, I've tried changing the security settings. Nothing seems to do the job. This didn't happen with the previous version of the engine.

Thanks again!

-Dave

Calin Leafshade

You need to find the acwin.exe file, right click, properties, unblock.

Dave Gilbert

Thanks Calin. Sadly, that didn't work either. Although the problem seems to be on my end. I click "unblock" and then "apply" and then exit, but when I check it again it says that the application is still blocked.

edit: OK nevermind. I snagged the tool mentioned in this thread and that seems to have solved the problem. Thanks for the help!

edit2: Well, crap. It managed to solve the problem ONCE and then instantly reverted itself. My computer is being stubborn it seems.

edit3: OK so the problem was that I was running AGS from the "program files" directory which has extra security on it. I moved it to another folder and it works fine. Hurrah!

Knox

Nice work, downloading now! I've had to put my project on hold for quite a while but now I think I can finally get back into it. Looking forward to bugging you all with new feature requests, hehe! :grin:
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: abstauber on Mon 09/05/2016 12:39:26
Btw: Is the official Bugtracker now located at Youtrack or is it still this forum's module?
Still the forums, because I got lost in preparing all the new releases lately. But hope is not lost :tongue:.

Actually I think we could starting using it when developing next version (which may happen soon).

Cassiebsg

Hey

Not sure it's something I'm doing wrong, but my Project Explorer keeps "jumping" to the middle pane, instead of the left side like I want it to. Every time I open my project it's located in the middle, then I move it to the left, work, close the editor, and next time I open my game project it's again located in the middle.

Is there a setting I'm overlooking somewhere that will save the panes like I want them? I never had this issue before with 3.4.0.6.

Edit: Disregard, I've just found out what I was doing wrong... I was opening 3.4.0.6 instead of .7... :-[

Crimson Wizard

Just to make things clear, I would like to "freeze" the 3.4.0 now, in the meaning that we won't be adding any more features in it, only fixing some stuff. 3.4.0 will receive beta status and be kept in this state for some time to let people test it little more and report any problems.

I think I mentioned this once, but I will repeat myself: we are planning to reduce time periods between version releases, regardless if they are major features or do not have much, to produce stable versions faster. The 3.4.0 was developed for more than 1.5 years, keeping some issues unfixed for too long, which caused numerous troubles.

To put this simple, there will be a set time length, like 3 or 4 months for example, after which we create a new version and try to make it stable; then continue with next version and so on.

Igor Hardy

wow, great birthday gift! Thanks Crimson, son of Crim! :cheesy:

AGD2

Thanks again for this release! :-D Been using it for a week or so now and my experience has mostly been a smooth one.

However, there's one issue I've noticed, so far, in relation to queued music. In my game's Title Screen (room 300), there's a lead-in music track set to play one time, followed by a queued, looping music track:

SetGameOption(OPT_CROSSFADEMUSIC, 0);
mMaintheme_jingle.Play(eAudioPriorityVeryHigh, eOnce);
mMaintheme_loop.PlayQueued(eAudioPriorityVeryHigh, eRepeat);

When the game is run, the lead-in track plays, but when it finishes, the queued track doesn't kick in. The first track just stops abruptly and there is silence. This used to work before I upgraded to AGS 3.4.0.7. If I change the crossfade value from 0 (none) to 4 (fast), it does play the queued track.

Strangely, there are similar lead-in and queued music tracks set to play in other rooms/script locations, which all use a crossfade setting of 0, and none of those instances have this problem. It only seems to to happen in the title screen. (Possibly because it's the first usage of PlayQueued in the game?)

Cassiebsg

Oh oh...

Seems like I did something "stupid" again... I know I changed some stuff no white, but not sure what or why it would even affect the font display... but now my Font display in the editor is all white (no white fonts displayed on a black BG, just plain white)! Fonts look just fine in game though. (roll)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AGD2 on Fri 27/05/2016 15:34:21
However, there's one issue I've noticed, so far, in relation to queued music. In my game's Title Screen (room 300), there's a lead-in music track set to play one time, followed by a queued, looping music track:

SetGameOption(OPT_CROSSFADEMUSIC, 0);
mMaintheme_jingle.Play(eAudioPriorityVeryHigh, eOnce);
mMaintheme_loop.PlayQueued(eAudioPriorityVeryHigh, eRepeat);

When the game is run, the lead-in track plays, but when it finishes, the queued track doesn't kick in. The first track just stops abruptly and there is silence. This used to work before I upgraded to AGS 3.4.0.7. If I change the crossfade value from 0 (none) to 4 (fast), it does play the queued track.

I will look into this, although I cannot think of any recent change related to queued music...

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 27/05/2016 22:53:10
Seems like I did something "stupid" again... I know I changed some stuff no white, but not sure what or why it would even affect the font display... but now my Font display in the editor is all white (no white fonts displayed on a black BG, just plain white)! Fonts look just fine in game though. (roll)

Could you elaborate, what do you mean by "I changed some stuff no white"? Also what fonts are you talking about? like game fonts, or literally all fonts in the editor, including scripting window? I am confused.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk