AGS 3.4.0.7 - Almost Beta

Started by Crimson Wizard, Thu 05/05/2016 18:53:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

AGS 3.4.0.8 "Beta 1" is released and announcement is posted here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53665.0
I guess we should move further talk into that thread, since it is close to final release.

Specific changes since 3.4.0.7:

Includes all changes brought by 3.3.5 Patch 2 and 3 update:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53658.0

- Added Script API version switch to the project's General Settings. For every supported API version a "SCRIPT_API_vXXX" macro is introduced, where XXX are version numbers.
- Added explicit project option to use old-style dialog options API (in "Backward Compatibility" section). Introduced related "NEW_DIALOGOPTS_API" macro in scripts (if defined, then new dialog options API is used).
- Fixed compiler reporting errors as "runtime errors" under certain circumstances.
- Fixed compilation of struct member functions having name identical to existing global function.
- Fixed compilation of structs having members with names identical to non-basic types, global variables and game entities (such as characters, GUI, etc).
- Fixed continue statement did not work inside a switch block housed inside a loop.
- Fixed speech.vox was not copied to proper output folder when game is built for the first time.
- New splash screen!

- Added runtime support for experimental version of AGS with custom resolution feature that was never officially released, but nevertheless used to create few games, such as "All The Way Down". This means that you can run such games using the new engine.
- Minor fixes related to 3.3.5 file path features (some things were not reimplemented properly in 3.4.0).
- Fixed resource leak in the Direct3D renderer.
- Rised default sprite cache limit for desktop platforms to 100 MB (was 20).

- Reworked WinSetup to allow somewhat simplier selection of the graphics mode.

Cassiebsg

Ah nice! I was actually wondering how the new Beta was different from the .7 ;)
Thanks a bunch for all the hard work! Looking forward to upgrade, again. :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

m0ds

Hi CW, though I'm still on 3.3.4 I wanted to ask and check about something, regarding the Translations section in editor. It's a suggestion, but if it's already updated by 3.4 please let me know! Maybe I'll move up to 3.4 in due course, and if this mini change occurs hehe. Good that you are or have at least been keeping it all up to date :)

So, my small issue, is there any way Update and Compile on the right click of each translation could be seperated please? Have Compile at the top, because that's the one you use after every small update you make, and have Update right at the bottom or at least seperated away from Compile, because that's the one you generally only click once or twice throughout a project -- and it can have dire consequences if you click it in later stages of the game.

When you accidentally hit Update instead of Compile, bad things happen. And anyone who works quickly will know two conflicting things right next to each other in a right click mouse menu is unintuitive. So I'd ask please, that Compile gets its own seperated thing at top. I've hit Update accidentally a couple of times over multiple projects, and naturally it wipes what is compiled in a TRS and replaces it with a new blank translation, that you often have to sit and wait 2 minutes for AGS to build. Granted I should be keeping backups but when you're working on a game and clicking things left right and center, it's not ideal... But that's really the only button in the whole editor I've ever had an issue with (and only since I started working with multiple translations). many thanks!

Crimson Wizard

No, nothing has changed in regards of that in 3.4. Actually you can read full list of changes here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53665.0

3.4.0 is practically out, any further fixes will go to next update (whichever number that will be).
Also I advise to put your suggestion on an issue tracker so that it don't get forgotten.

Gurok

Ooooh does that "any further fixes" include the Mac OS port stuff that just got merged into master? If so, I can understand why. I mean, I know features are locked in right now. I do find it a bit weird that it went into master though. Is that so 3.3.x people can build for Mac? Will the Mac stuff go into 3.4.1?
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Gurok on Mon 11/07/2016 04:54:14
Ooooh does that "any further fixes" include the Mac OS port stuff that just got merged into master? If so, I can understand why. I mean, I know features are locked in right now. I do find it a bit weird that it went into master though. Is that so 3.3.x people can build for Mac? Will the Mac stuff go into 3.4.1?

There is a literally one minor change to the engine's general code brought by that pull request, so code wise it may be merged to with 3.4.0, it does not really matter that much.
On other hand, as far as I know, this port requires to be tested before it may be announced as working, so for now it is like we have an experimental component in the repository.

E: That is one reason why it went to master, second reason is actually so that 3.3 users could use it too, but really this is aimed for Wadjet Eye, because it is their OSX code, and they wanted to have a merged version for too long.

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 05/05/2016 18:53:56
Dialog Options

The highlight colour for dialog options (default rendering) is no longer hard coded as yellow (14). You can use:
Code: ags
game.dialog_options_highlight_color = xxx;

And set the dialog options highlight colour to whatever you like. The default is 14.

I have been waiting for this little change for so long. :cry::cheesy:

Crimson Wizard

lol, okay :).

I am going to lock this thread now, because it was dedicated to WIP version. In case someone did not know, there is a Beta thread going on here:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53665.0

It also includes updated (offline) manual now, so you can enter anything mentioned in the "What's New" in the search box and look for explanation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk