Sniper and spotter being patriotic

Started by Blondbraid, Sun 08/05/2016 21:12:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Kumpel

Also finished it!

It was a very special experience to walk through all these rooms you had posted in your development thread :)

The puzzles were more on the simpler side but that made totally sense for me because of the brutal war theme which is predestined to seemingly offer only simple solutions like "kill and destroy or be killed and get destroyed"... Only the spotter mini game could have been a little bit more diverse gameplay wise. Some nice traps like
Spoiler
the glass shards I ran onto in my hastly playing style and immediately got my comeuppance for it (laugh)
[close]
would have been nice. Maybe a real sniper you don't see in an instant would have made this more interesting.

Like Mandle I mostly loved your huge background there but the scrolling looked really weird for me. If you wanna update your game maybe you should implement the smooth scrolling module in there (or everywhere :P).  Check it out!

Your characters have been fantastic. It was equally fun to play as the normal and to his life clinging guy Ivan or that bad ass brave girl Olga. Please think hardly about letting them do another battle :)

Congratulations Blondbraid! With this you developed your best game so far!

Blondbraid

Thank you, Kumpel! ;-D
It's great that you liked the game and also, thanks for the link, I will definitely look into that.
QuoteYour characters have been fantastic. It was equally fun to play as the normal and to his life clinging guy Ivan or that bad ass brave girl Olga. Please think hardly about letting them do another battle :)
QuoteI hope this game is the beginning of your series of more AGS games (nod)
QuoteLook forward to potential sequels!
I'm happy that people like this game enough to want sequels, and if there is a demand I'd be happy to start working on a new game.
I do have a few ideas for a new mission for Olga and Ivan...(Ivan probably won't help wolves learn how to fly though!) :)

blur

Could not complete it, because
Spoiler
after Ivan changed his underwear I could not continue, as I got the same dialogue as before ("...do as she says..."). Running on Linux with ags 3.3.5.5 and 3.3.0.1162 though, so perhaps it is a engine error.
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: blur on Fri 13/05/2016 11:25:10
Spoiler
after Ivan changed his underwear I could not continue, as I got the same dialogue as before ("...do as she says..."). Running on Linux with ags 3.3.5.5 and 3.3.0.1162 though, so perhaps it is a engine error.
[close]

You just have to:

Spoiler
Walk to the right-most edge of the screen and continue on.

I was a bit confused at this point as well and thought I had hit a deadend...But I believe the last thing Olga said was "Let's continue on whenever you're ready" or something like that...
[close]

(I PM'd this to you as well...Would be a shame for someone not to finish such a great game...)

Blondbraid

Quote from: blur on Fri 13/05/2016 11:25:10
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
You ar supposed to go forward, once outside the sick-room, go to the right past the boarded up door and window in order to progress!
[close]
If you or anyone else have any trouble solving a puzzle or knowing where to go in my game, you can start a thread in the Hints and Tips section and I'd be more than happy to provide a detailed description of the solutions!

cat

Finished playing!

It was a nice little game. I was a bit worried how a comedy in a war setting would be, but it actually worked really well!

The pros:
I really liked the graphics, they worked really well.
The characters were well depicted (literally and also from a writing point of view).
The writing was very good and made the game world believable.
Switching between characters and meeting in various places was a nice idea.

Some cons:
The game lacks polish. There are several glitches with walkable areas and walkbehinds, only default responses where there could be more specific ones, typos, boring default font, default wait cursor,...
I personally did not like that I have to click away the text. I prefer this to be automatic.

The puzzles were a mixed bunch:
Spoiler
I did like the 'sneaking' puzzle at the end, some easy inventory usage and item combinations. I found the solution of getting Olga's underwear hilarious.
However, the dialog puzzle where the soldiers would kill me I only solved by guessing and trying several options.
[close]

It is a very good first game, but it could be so much better with just one week of additional testing, proofreading and fine-tuning. I hope that you will put in the little extra work that could make the game go from good to great.

Blondbraid

Quote from: cat on Fri 13/05/2016 22:06:27
It is a very good first game, but it could be so much better with just one week of additional testing, proofreading and fine-tuning. I hope that you will put in the little extra work that could make the game go from good to great.
So glad you liked it! ;-D
While technically not my first game, I'm still inexperienced with AGS. I do agree that the game could have been more polished though, the reason I hastened things towards the end was that I wanted to spur myself to actually finish the game (I was worried that I would otherwise keep polishing the game forever if I didn't limit myself!). But seeing that several people mentioned typos and similar stuff, I am considering making an updated version...

Grok

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 13/05/2016 22:48:40
--- the reason I hastened things towards the end was that I wanted to spur myself to actually finish the game (I was worried that I would otherwise keep polishing the game forever if I didn't limit myself!). ---

I think that is a good strategy.

A lot of games (and other projects) has died from never getting out of the polishing stage of the process.
The options aren't necessarily
1) a less than perfect game or 2) a perfect game,
in reality it often is a choice between
1) a less than perfect game or 2) no game at all.

A live dog is better than a dead lion.
(or Havamal style; A man is better blind than buried.)

Once the game is released you can polish it up for a next version, or you can take what you learned with you to make your next project better.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Grok on Sat 14/05/2016 06:08:09
Once the game is released you can polish it up for a next version, or you can take what you learned with you to make your next project better.
Yes, I am already thinking of making a sequel.
Since I already have sprites and assets for the main characters, it would mean I would spend less time drawing and designing the characters and could devote more time on polish.

AnasAbdin

Cassiebsg

Finished it yesterday! :-D
Nice job, in all I enjoyed it a lot.

Spoiler

Like cat I was also ready to pull my hair out with the puzzle dialog. I mean I knew what I needed to do, add wood to the fire, but the path that lead there wasn't clear. And of course, I got shot a lot!
By reading what others have wrote, then I'm probably the only one that did the underwear puzzle the "right way", by exploring and asking everyone around for a pair... works good that way and makes sense when he finally "gives up" and asks her. (laugh) So, just turn off the option until everyone has been asked and you're good to go. ;)
I've also noticed some spelling mistakes, like in a sentence it was missing an entire implicit word... Can't remember what the line or word was, but probably a "his" or "is" or something like that.
I was expecting the german snipers to show up for a split second and then hide, hiding in plain sight isn't really hiding. ;) I know I told you to be careful and not do it too hard... but think you under did it a bit. (laugh)

Here's some suggestions for the deluxe version:
- Fix the top drop-down pop up menu. It should not show when in the Menu.
- Add a save function and a resume for the main menu. At one point I wanted to save and go to bed and couldn't find the save menu... managed to get to to the main menu, but then no way to return? (or maybe ESC worked... I didn't tried it.) Ended at I ended up having to redo the underwear puzzle again! I had just stopped after the puzzle was done.
- There is no way to see that you reached a "check point" / game has been saved. You know the next save was right in the next room, but I didn't, and I didn~t want to go to war sleepy. (roll)
- Consider replacing the Display with a more fancy/pretty window. ;)
- Maybe use the credits module for having a nice scrolling credits above the picture, instead of those "ugly" display.

As for graphics, the only thing I would love you to animate is Olga and Ivan climbing up the stairs. You spent an awful long time making that BG, spend a little more to let Olga and Ivan at least take a few steps.  It's just that I felt more disappointed than rewarded by that cutscene. For me, it broke a bit of immersion by being still.
[close]

Looking forward for more from you! And of course, Olga and Ivan... (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 18/05/2016 19:01:12
Finished it yesterday! :-D
Nice job, in all I enjoyed it a lot.

Looking forward for more from you! And of course, Olga and Ivan... (laugh)
Thank you! :)
I'm very happy that you liked it, and I too hope Olga and Ivan will soon go on to a new adventure!
However, I'm not entirely satisfied with this current game yet, especially since you and several others have pointed out several typos and bugs I missed before,
so I will try to fix this game up a bit and perhaps polish it some more. I'm glad that you pointed out some of the flaws, and while I might not change too much, I'll try to improve what I got.
If anyone notices a problem with this game that haven't been mentioned in this thread, please let me know!

cat

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 18/05/2016 21:17:05
so I will try to fix this game up a bit and perhaps polish it some more.

Thumbs up for that!

As a developer I fully understand your feeling of wanting to release the game, but a little bit of polish goes a long way. For a start, I'd suggest to create a translation file and give it to someone to proofread. I'm sure there are lots of people here who are willing to help.

Blondbraid

Quote from: cat on Wed 18/05/2016 21:27:45
Thumbs up for that!

As a developer I fully understand your feeling of wanting to release the game, but a little bit of polish goes a long way. For a start, I'd suggest to create a translation file and give it to someone to proofread. I'm sure there are lots of people here who are willing to help.
Good idea, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the tip! :)

Blondbraid

I have now uploaded a new and improved version of Sniper and spotter being patriotic! ;-D

Apart from fixing a few typos, walk-behind issues and a certain puzzle where you talk to a number of characters (those who played the game before will know what I'm talking about! ;))
I have also drawn new sprites for the waiting cursor and inventory menu, as well as added a few lines to various object interactions!

This game may not be perfect but I do hope these changes have improved it.

rorstudio

ok
this game is short funny and simple
and don't have so much "cranberries"(
improbable and ridiculous image of russian people ) in it
congrats;)

BTW
i am russian;)

Blondbraid

Quote from: rorstudio on Tue 24/05/2016 16:07:17
ok
this game is short funny and simple
and don't have so much "cranberries"(
improbable and ridiculous image of russian people ) in it
congrats;)
BTW
i am russian;)
Thank you, I'm glad that you liked my game!
I have tried my best to write fun and compelling
characters without resorting to stereotypes,
and it's nice to hear that you think them funny! :)

sthomannch

Good game! Nice graphics and dialogues and the puzzles were right, so I could go smoothlhy through the game. The character of the sniper was excellent. Congratulations.

Creamy

Finished! Two thumbs up, you get better with every game :)

I found one bug :
Spoiler
I was able to climb the patriotic rope before crafting it.
[close]
You might want to enable the  « solid » property to avoid character overlap.

Kudos for the charming graphics. They work surprisingly well in this grim setting.
The story was compelling too.

Blondbraid

Quote from: sthomannch on Tue 24/05/2016 18:17:36
Good game! Nice graphics and dialogues and the puzzles were right, so I could go smoothlhy through the game. The character of the sniper was excellent. Congratulations.
Quote from: Creamy on Fri 27/05/2016 17:58:49
Finished! Two thumbs up, you get better with every game :)
I found one bug:
Spoiler
I was able to climb the patriotic rope before crafting it.
[close]
You might want to enable the  « solid » property to avoid character overlap.
Kudos for the charming graphics. They work surprisingly well in this grim setting.
The story was compelling too.
Thank you! ;-D
Good that you spotted the bug, Creamy, I have already uploaded a new version where I have fixed the issue,
and if you or anyone else finds any issues with this new version, please let me know.

I'm also happy to hear that my games are improving, and hopefully my next game will be even better.
(I already have an idea, but so far just an idea, but I hope to start working on it soon enough! ;))

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk