Naomi picture

Started by Mats Berglinn, Thu 10/04/2003 20:02:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Mats Berglinn

For my next game Hawaiian Treasure I have created a hawaiian singer who will play an important role.

The pic isn't finished yet. There are things that I'm still unsure of so I have posted it for your critics. What do you guys think?

BOYD1981

the thing that i noticed right away is that her arms are a tad too big and they're also a lot longer than her legs...

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Flippy_D

Her skin is like red-raw, try a more ochre shade. Also, the trainers... outline them in dark grey for starters and then try to change the shape a bit more, look at your own pair (or, if you don't have your own pair, which is possible if you live somewhere hot, look on the net). The shoulders are unnaturally straight, shorten the arms, sculpt the midriff to a more feminine shape, modify her 'howhos' a bit, have a V-neck instead of the straight across there is at the minute, and maybe curve the face a little more.

Okay, that was as harsh as I get...sorry. I do like the hands.

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Women are made of curves not angles. :) Replace every line and angle with a curve.

Put curves in the hairstyle, it should slow downwards. Same with the shoulders, slim them down and slope them down. The breasts need work since they look like they're painted on. Make them larger, its okay for them to overlap the arms a bit. Then slim down the waist by tapering it then widening again(Think hourglass) Same for the legs, more curves. :)

Its a lot of crit, but most men have trouble drawing women, and vice versa. You should see some of the male chars I draw. :)  

Mats Berglinn

Quote from: OneThinkingGal on Fri 11/04/2003 00:33:16
Replace every line and angle with a curve.

Put curves in the hairstyle, it should slow downwards. Same with the shoulders, slim them down and slope them down. Same for the legs, more curves. :)  

Could you explain more about curves? There some things I don't really understand about these things. It would be more easier to change if you could make your explainings much more easier. I knew from the beginning that Naomi should have been slimer and that the "melons" were a bit small (but I didn't make them lager because I don't want you guys think I'm a pervo or something). I'll post a new version when I'm done with the changing. Thanks for the advices so far.

And yeah, I have problems with drawing women, both on computer or by hand.

Flippy_D

Clicky.

It's a manga page but manga is mostly in the hair and facial features (and muscle on men is toned down), this is a good template.

Mats Berglinn

Here is another change. I didn't know what was wrong with her hair (sorry, Onethinkinggal, but if you showed me an example of how the hair would be, it would be much easier for me to change) but I have changed her neck, gave her a feminal shape, highened her dress, made her legs longer and shorten her arms. Apart from the things that you guys have told so far... what have I missed which I haven't mentioned?

Mats Berglinn

Sorry, something went wrong with the pic.

scotch

well... are you going to fix it?

Flippy_D

SSH

It's Mrs. "StrongArm" McGurk, my old P.E. teacher!

I would say:

Good improvement on the shoulders and her breasts actually being in front of her arms instead of tucked underneath, but..

1) skirt too short unless she's a tennis player
2) lips too black
3) arms too thick (unless she's actually a transvestite)
4) shins too thick (they get thinner before the ankles)
5) breasts too big
6) neckline too straight... try a more round neckline?
7) don't feel you really have to get five distinct fingers in to the hand... shrink a real hand picture down

Mats Berglinn

To Flippy: Thanks!

Superscottishhero: No, that's Naomi McCallister, a hawaiian singer. Okay, I will make her skirt longer. Lips? I was going for a normal mouth but okay, I'll color it red then. I will change the arms and the shins but I really don't want to shrink her boobs down (what's wrong with that I like big-breasted women? It's the same as chicks likes strong guys or nice guys, so don't try to convince me). I'll change the neck but not the hands, even if I draw cartoony it doesn't mean I follow that "four-fingers-on-the-hand" cliché. So I don't going to change that. Anything else?

Flippy_D

Concerning the breasts (hmm), it's not the size, it's how you presented them... they're much curvier in real life, and you probably wouldn't notice them like that. Instead of drawing them, why not try shading to define it?

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Without changing the original TOO much:

The main problem with this is its not a woman's stance basically. Women don't stand with thier feet planted that far apart, nor do their arms stay that far away from thier body straight out.

I drew these a while back and they're dollz not sprites but you might get an idea of what I mean: http://yadayada.fateback.com/dollz.html

SSH

Quote from: Mats Berglinn on Fri 11/04/2003 16:38:09
I'll change the neck but not the hands, even if I draw cartoony it doesn't mean I follow that "four-fingers-on-the-hand" cliché.

Well, of course, it's just my opinion, anyway  ;) Compare it with my own drawings and you'll see that those who can't do, criticize...

But what I meant with the hands is not to have 4-finger hands, but rather that if you look at someone standing up facing you, they won't have all 5 digits facing you: more likely, their thumb and index finger are visible, but their other 3 fingers are only partly visible behind them.

EDIT:

::) Oh, OTG has done exactly what I meant. If I could draw I would have shown you, honest guv   ;D

OTG- If women don't stand with their legs like that, why does your avatar?  ;)  Seriously, though, great pics OTG! I did quite like Mats' "big hair" tho...

OneThinkingGal and ._.

OTG- If women don't stand with their legs like that, why does your avatar?  ;)  Seriously, though, great pics OTG! I did quite like Mats' "big hair" tho...

LOL :P I never even noticed. Oh well ^_^ there's a time and a place for every stance, and that one seems to suit the mood.  ;D

Mats Berglinn

Now I have made some more changes to Naomi and shaded her a bit after OneThinkingGal's example. I didn't know how to make the boobs rounder so I just shaded them. It's quite tricky to make things round without making them to big in Adobe Photoshop. How is it now.

Jimi

I think the skin colour is a little too dark. Try the colour I use:

Hue:15
Sat:240
Lum:198

I'm using it for Rodney McNab.

Vel

A critique expert opinion: STOP DRAWING IN PAINT.

Jimi

Quote from: Mats Berglinn on Fri 11/04/2003 19:29:23...It's quite tricky to make things round without making them to big in Adobe Photoshop....

He's not using paint!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk