Naomi picture

Started by Mats Berglinn, Thu 10/04/2003 20:02:06

Previous topic - Next topic

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Photoshop isnt very good for small sprites IMO. Try PSP or neopaint. They let you work better at the pixel level.

scotch

I like photoshop best for small sprites (or anything really) :p

But in truth at this level all you're using is a 1 px brush at 100% opacity.  Doesn't really matter.

Did you mean to IM me btw Mats_Berglinn?  it seemed a bit random.

Also is your game 256 or high colour?  high colour sprites should be shaded imo, or at least antialised in the interior.

Mats Berglinn

But I don't have any of those programs.

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Links are in the tutorial thread. :)

Mats Berglinn

Uh... I wasn't sure I could find those. Could you put the links here, please?

Flippy_D

They're in the critics lounge, in a sticky thread at the top.

Mats Berglinn

No, they're NOT. I have checked at those adresses and there are only tuts for PSP and none of the adresses mentions Neopaint at all. Where is the adresses for downloading those programs? Tell me before I go nuts!!! >:(

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Well you COULD have just googled the addresses. You can get PSP at www.jasc.com and Ultimate paint at http://www.ultimatepaint.com/ neopaint at http://www.neosoftware.com/npw.html

Not that the tools will make the technique, if you draw like that in photoshop, you'll draw the same in any program, just that I think they let you look at pixels better. You don't need to download them, you can just continue with PS if you prefer.

Mats Berglinn

So if I want to make Naomi more rounder and less squary should I download the programs or what? It's quite tricky to make small pixel characters round. I mean how did you make your avatar so perfectly round (not pixel like squares like my Crocis avatar)? It would be thankfull if you could give me some tips and hints. Oh and by the way thanks for the links. :)

OneThinkingGal and ._.

The avatar was in flash, which is more of a vector tool than a pixeller.

As for how to get them rounder, well shading helps, you don't have to draw round lines.

Mats Berglinn

Ok, thanks OTG. Here is another version of Naomi that have been altered after opinions of Jimi and Belphegor. With Paint I made up a human-skin like color to make it more realistic (Jimi's opinion) and I have put her legs together because Belphegor thought they were to seperated.

Myself I'm starting to get satisfied with Naomi but just in case I will see if you like it better too. Here's your last chance for options on how to change or make it even better.

DragonRose

I'm lazy and don't really feel like drawing, so here is Dragonrose's wonderful ASCII woman and man (both drawings only go to the hips)
|\/|
|/\|

|\   /|
| \/ |

Pretty crappy, eh? She's wearing a skirt.  Anyway, the idea of having breasts can be shown pretty well if you do a good hourglass shape, then a line under the pectorals.  Men are more triangle shaped, though they can also be drawn with just straight lines.

I'm begging, don't use the loopy W shaped breasts. Ordinarily, there just isn't that much definition between one breast and the other when a woman is fully clothed.

Hope that helps!
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

DragonRose

I'm lazy and don't really feel like drawing, so here is Dragonrose's wonderful ASCII woman and man (both drawings only go to the hips)
|\/|
|/\|

|\   /|
| \/ |

Pretty crappy, eh? Anyway, the idea of having breasts can be shown pretty well if you do a good hourglass shape, then a line under the pectorals.  Men are more triangle shaped, though they can also be drawn with just straight lines.

I'm begging, don't use the loopy W shaped breasts. Ordinarily, there just isn't that much definition between one breast and the other when a woman is fully clothed.

Mats Berglinn

Hey, Dragonrose. You double-replied. What do you mean with that you said about the breasts? I mean when you draw a character foward you can actually see them (or rather should see them) and when they are fully clothed they don't look so much difference to each other and also Naomi's melons both have them same size (even if it's quite uncommon, if you see what I mean). Anything else?

Jimi

I think it is good. But take into account how old Naomi is. If she is 19 or something, (like you Mats) I doubt she would have breasts that big!

DragonRose

Sorry about the double post. :-[  Anyway, I did a little 20 second edit in paint.  You already had a nice hourglass shape, so I didn't need to change that.  I just erased the loopy breasts, and drew a line underneath where they would be, then I shaded it.  It doesn't look like she's going to fall over anymore.

Mats Berglinn

Hey! Now you have ruined it! >:( >:( >:(

I won't accept that! It looks like she has a wide chest but with no boobs which is just horrible.

Jimi: She is around 19 but I like big breasts so what? Who said that young slim woman don't have big breasts? It's the same with fat women, some don't have big boobs. And before any of you guys ask, no they're not siliconed, they're real (if you would call it real since she's not for real).

Flippy_D

That's not ruined it, that's made it look a hundred times better, it's exactly what I was talking about, using shading to show shape. Anyway, presumably this is going to have a side on view, correct? well then, her breasts are not going to chage size depending on which way she's facing, so make it obvious on the side view.

You kids and your Lara Crofts.

Mats Berglinn

She isn't based on Lara Croft, trust me! Besides I have seen even bigger boobs than LC's (no kidding), so knock it off Flip!

I have by the way decided that my latest version will be the final version because I'm 100 % satisfied with it. That will be Naomi McCallister in the game Hawaiian Treasure. No more changes now. Maybe I'll post other sides of Naomi profile and from behind.

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Quote from: Mats Berglinn on Sun 13/04/2003 13:20:00
Hey! Now you have ruined it! >:( >:( >:(

I won't accept that! It looks like she has a wide chest but with no boobs which is just horrible.

Jimi: She is around 19 but I like big breasts so what? Who said that young slim woman don't have big breasts? It's the same with fat women, some don't have big boobs. And before any of you guys ask, no they're not siliconed, they're real (if you would call it real since she's not for real).

Well, that was rather rude. Actually no, it was very rude. You asked for help, she tried to help and you yelled at her.

If you didn't like the changes she made to it, you could have thanked her and told her that that wasn't the look you were going for.

She took time out to edit the pic to show you what she meant and got this in return. I don't think you'll find many people helping you if you keep this attitude.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk