Maze style games

Started by Matagot, Tue 17/05/2016 05:59:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Matagot

I know I've tackled this question on if its possible to design games like Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder and have been given the answer on how that could be achieved, I've been planning ideas for a game that uses maze like movement but is not as complex like those dungeon games, in other words, there won't be any wandering monsters to fight. Monsters that are faced, for example, are dealt puzzle-wise. This would make way for a slightly simpler approach to such a game.

But onto my question:
When designing the game is it practical to use 'rooms' to depict each movement view? For example, if you clicked on a direction arrow to turn 90 degrees that just requires a change of room?

Gilbert

Depends on what you want. Using different rooms is possibly the easiest, but is certainly not practically for large mazes.

Preferred way is to use only one room for the whole maze, with like the ground as the background, and then layer sprites as walls according to the player's current position in the dungeon.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Matagot on Tue 17/05/2016 05:59:04
But onto my question:
When designing the game is it practical to use 'rooms' to depict each movement view? For example, if you clicked on a direction arrow to turn 90 degrees that just requires a change of room?

Like Gilbert said: if you've already been explained how to make such game, as you said, the people who explained it probably also explained to you that it's best to draw each angle dynamically, and even the whole maze in just one room. HOWEVER if it's a very small maze (more like a 3D view of a small house, let's say, for an "escape room" game) and if you've never scripted before, then maybe one room per room and angle is better. But that's really the only exception.

Khris

Regardless of how much time you spend figuring out the necessary scripting, it will be worth it.
Even if it takes you months, it will be worth it.

Matagot

So to put things into perspective, if I were to do the angle-per-room approach, it would basically mean about 75 state-saving 'squares' (each space consisting of four angled images) which would make way for a relatively short map and no doubt images by the tonne for larger maps.

QuotePreferred way is to use only one room for the whole maze, with like the ground as the background, and then layer sprites as walls according to the player's current position in the dungeon

QuoteLike Gilbert said: if you've already been explained how to make such game, as you said, the people who explained it probably also explained to you that it's best to draw each angle dynamically, and even the whole maze in just one room.

I'll give that a good experimenting. So I'll begin by designing a basic ground and ceiling background and then create images of separate walls and apply those like objects?

QuoteRegardless of how much time you spend figuring out the necessary scripting, it will be worth it.
Even if it takes you months, it will be worth it.

Oh yes! Since Eye of the Beholder, I've always wanted to make such a game. It'll be well worth the effort 8-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk