Forest scene. (Considering camp fire ! )

Started by SinSin, Mon 23/05/2016 14:59:21

Previous topic - Next topic

SinSin

So I have been practising a Kyrandia art style.
Apart from more trees, what would you say about this image??

Currently working on a project!

Danvzare

Beautiful.
Although the randomly placed coloured pixels on the grass, make me think that my monitor has some dead pixels.

Other than that though, it's gorgeous.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Sinsin on Mon 23/05/2016 14:59:21
So I have been practising a Kyrandia art style.
Apart from more trees, what would you say about this image??

Nice :D

Love the early 90s style. Any link to more of your project? :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Kumpel

Some suggestions apart from the obvious bleakness:

- The left and the middle tree look a bit odd on the base to me. Maybe add some roots that are growing out of the grass so that they look more like strong and venerable plants.
- The bush thingy has the shape of a sleeping dragon (Is it a sleeping dragon? 8-0). It seems a bit small and very lonely compared to the scene you created. Give it a brother (or a sister). Maybe combine that one visually with the rock. Stands out too much imho.
- are these pixels on the ground leaves? maybe you should enhance these on some parts to improve that illusion.

SinSin

Thanks for the input.

That's no dragon, that's just poor pixeling. :)
As for the bush, its now not as lonely. I've also added more rocks and roots and given the sand more texture.

I've not got any other project links atm. I am working on something but I'm going to keep it on the down low until I have a substantial amount done. :)

Any more suggestions :-D

Cassiebsg

Yes, don't forget the squirrel collecting nuts. ;)
Lovely and very peaceful.
I like the new scene better btw. The first felt a bit empty and "nothing happening here".
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SinSin

Thanks,  :-D

I have to work on my composition.

I tend to draw from my minds eye (Which is generally blank)
its so strange, this started out as just me experimenting with drawing grass.

silverwolfpet

Quite nice! Excellent job on the details and I reaaaally love the river animation - simple yet elegant and effective ^^

I just like that there are things to see and you keep discovering new tiny tiny tiny elements as you keep staring at the background.
However, I have to agree here that the "colored pixels" - while looking nice - might make the player think there are things to pickup in those areas. Maybe reduce their number?

Looking forward to see more stuff from you and perhaps even a finished game!

Danvzare

Quote from: Sinsin on Mon 23/05/2016 21:15:43
That's no dragon, that's just poor pixeling. :)
Shh, don't tell people that you didn't intend for it to look like a dragon. Make people think you did it on purpose, so you look like a better artist. ;)

By the way, I love the little alterations you did. Especially those little eyes poking out of that tree. (laugh)

dactylopus

Just wanted to say that this is quite beautiful.  I think it captures some of that Kyrandia magic, which is great, because those games were some of the best looking in the genre at the time.

Monsieur OUXX

How many colors at most ?

The kyrandia style has two characteristics:
- very tasteful and soft (yet colorful) color scheme
- perfect use of contrast

Your color scheme is very good BUT considering how flat the ground is, maybe you should reduce the contrast of the "horizontal" grassy surfaces, to make it look softer and less busy.

The benefit of doing so is that it will make the ground compete less with the character and other important visual elements, in the eye of the player.

The easy way of reducing the contrast would be to remove the darker green shades (from the foreground only!), and stick to two shades of green there (I counted 4 shades of green)

======
EXAMPLE: Look at this part, and pretend that the shiny central part doesn't exist. Then all the surrounding grassy parts (in the foreground) have a low contrast. the rocks however have a high contrast.
Spoiler

[close]

======
Reversely, you made the foreground bush too contrasted in comparison with the rest of the scene. I wouldn't use the black color there, unless you also use it on the trees/rocks.

======
Finally, for your next background, always think of ways to make the ground NOT FLAT. See how they did in Kyrandia. It makes every scene more immersive.

SinSin

Thanks for your comments and tips. I'm working today but if I can find some time this weekend I'll update and try your ammendments Ouxx.(46 colours in my whole pallette btw)  ;-D

Edit

I may edit the lighting on this somewhat and then re update. Im kinda happy with where I am in terms of my Kyrandia style now (yes its not KYRANDIA Exactly IMA)   but its my own spin. :)  Honestly I've been working on my art style periodically for 11 years now. and this is possibly my best piece to date, please go easy on me lol..   

For now I am going to continue with my title..    Thanks to all again who commented !  ;-D

Mouth for war

Nice work! It's easy on the eyes and looks pleasant. I would like to see a small wooden bridge at the water though. That kind that bends...you know....curved/semi-cylindrical or how the hell to explain it haha :-D Good work !!!
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Cassiebsg

Nice work! (nod) And great fire effect on the trees and surrounding too!
However, my brains keeps telling me that, according to the amount of effect, that I'm looking at a huge fire... but only it's only a little one. Don't think it should give that violent flicker where you put it (due to being so far away), and then the ground/grass has nothing at all, where I would expect to see some.

Otherwise, it looks awesome! Good job! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 11/06/2016 09:11:53
However, my brains keeps telling me that, according to the amount of effect, that I'm looking at a huge fire... but only it's only a little one. Don't think it should give that violent flicker where you put it (due to being so far away), and then the ground/grass has nothing at all, where I would expect to see some.
Agreed, the flicker is too noticeable when compared to the size of the flame, and the fact that it's the daytime.
But it's still a really great picture. And as everyone knows, you can edit a picture indefinitely.

KyriakosCH

Very good work, SinSin! :D
Love the shadow play on the left tree.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Darth Mandarb

Great progression! I think this would serve just fine as a background in a game but it could still be improved a bit!

The issue I have is telling what time of day it is. Some indicators would point to night time such as the fade-out in the top/back of the scene and the light play on the trees from the torch. Yet the shading of the water and the foreground shrub seem more day-time to me!

I feel it leans more towards night so I did a quick (down and dirty) paint-over with some lighting suggestions. It's far from perfect but it illustrates the ideas well enough.

I just used quick brushes and wasn't "pixel" perfect (as the image was resized so it wasn't 1 to 1 to work on) so you'd want to redo this with pixel precision (not the super soft blurriness of this paint-over). If you shaded like this (maybe not so dark) and put that flickering light pattern back in I think this would be a near perfect BG!

Good luck and I hope this helps!

SinSin

Quote from: Mouth for war on Sat 11/06/2016 07:37:08
Nice work! It's easy on the eyes and looks pleasant. I would like to see a small wooden bridge at the water though. That kind that bends...you know....curved/semi-cylindrical or how the hell to explain it haha :-D Good work !!!
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sat 11/06/2016 12:22:31
Very good work, SinSin! :D
Love the shadow play on the left tree.
Thanks guys.

Nice work! (nod) And great fire effect on the trees and surrounding too!

Otherwise, it looks awesome! Good job! (nod)
Quote from: Danvzare on Sat 11/06/2016 11:15:48
Agreed, the flicker is too noticeable when compared to the size of the flame, and the fact that it's the daytime.
But it's still a really great picture. And as everyone knows, you can edit a picture indefinitely.

I've set about increasing the size of the torch, Nice idea regarding the bridge.

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Mon 13/06/2016 13:44:07
Great progression! I think this would serve just fine as a background in a game but it could still be improved a bit!

The issue I have is telling what time of day it is. Some indicators would point to night time such as the fade-out in the top/back of the scene and the light play on the trees from the torch. Yet the shading of the water and the foreground shrub seem more day-time to me!

I feel it leans more towards night so I did a quick (down and dirty) paint-over with some lighting suggestions. It's far from perfect but it illustrates the ideas well enough.

I just used quick brushes and wasn't "pixel" perfect (as the image was resized so it wasn't 1 to 1 to work on) so you'd want to redo this with pixel precision (not the super soft blurriness of this paint-over). If you shaded like this (maybe not so dark) and put that flickering light pattern back in I think this would be a near perfect BG!

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Thanks Darth, I love your paint over it has given it some great atmosphere.
I will give it a go and will report back ASAC  :D

Thanks again to everyone who has commented so far. :)

EDIT   Im not totally happy with the torch,  I may tweak it so that it is a camp fire..

Danvzare

Ooh, now that looks perfect. At least to me. I'm sure someone could think of something that could be improved upon. But it looks perfect to me. :-D

Kumpel

These tiny eyes need blinking :D maybe after 30 seconds or so (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk