Fester's World O' Wonders

Started by Jack, Tue 24/05/2016 19:52:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

A thread for the wondrous things that can be accomplished when creative people realise their potential.

We'll start things off with a marbleously catchy tune played on a device both modern and quaint.

Wintergatan - Marble Machine (music instrument using 2000 marbles)

Danvzare

Wow... that's impressive.
And something nice to listen to while I do other things. :-D

josiah1221

Nice, pretty slick aerodynamic move there!

Mandle

I think I would lose my shit if I saw one of those things walking along towards me without knowing what it was first.

Jack

Quotea rudimentary "breed" has evolved slowly, with the help of evolutionary computation techniques, into a generation of kinetic sculptures that to some degree can react to their environment. Janson has said "I make skeletons that are able to walk on the wind. Over time, these skeletons have become increasingly better at surviving the elements such as storms and water and eventually I want to put these animals out in herds on the beaches, so they will live their own lives."

Theo Jansen

selmiak

These dunewalking sculptures are just awesome :)

Mandle

Quote from: Jack on Wed 03/10/2018 01:26:17
Commodore 64 left outside for over a decade! Could it still work??

Would have been an even more amazing video if the final answer to the question posed in the title had been "No, not at all... No, it could not."

But this reminded me of an interesting opinion a scientist voiced when asked "Why would AI try to destory us?" and he said something like:

"If the AI's physical form was something like our metal-based computer/robotic technology it might decide that the biggest threat to its continued existence was oxygen, as oxygen is required to cause oxydation, AKA rust. It may begin efforts not to eliminate humanity in particular, but instead to eliminate oxygen from our planet."

So, our extermination would be just a side-effect of the AI's survival just like the extinction of many species is just the side-effect of what humanity is doing.

Kind of fitting, I thought.

josiah1221

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 07/10/2018 16:45:11
Quote from: Jack on Wed 03/10/2018 01:26:17
Commodore 64 left outside for over a decade! Could it still work??

Would have been an even more amazing video if the final answer to the question posed in the title had been "No, not at all... No, it could not."

But this reminded me of an interesting opinion a scientist voiced when asked "Why would AI try to destory us?" and he said something like:

"If the AI's physical form was something like our metal-based computer/robotic technology it might decide that the biggest threat to its continued existence was oxygen, as oxygen is required to cause oxydation, AKA rust. It may begin efforts not to eliminate humanity in particular, but instead to eliminate oxygen from our planet."

So, our extermination would be just a side-effect of the AI's survival just like the extinction of many species is just the side-effect of what humanity is doing.

Kind of fitting, I thought.

Ha, I've never thought of that, but it makes a lot of sense. Not to mention it would make a great scifi story for a movie or game!

Jack

Unless it had a learning disability, this AI could just immerse itself in mineral oil and get some sweet heat dissipation going too.

Then this happened:

When you're overqualified for the job

Jack

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 01/07/2019 23:17:49
Quote from: Jack on Mon 01/07/2019 22:48:47
Fallen Art
I love this kind of stuff.

That was not only incredible. It's incredible that someone could come up with a story like that. I'm in awe!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk