Would this character generator I'm working on interest anyone here?

Started by Mouth for war, Tue 24/05/2016 22:35:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

Hey! So I was starting to make a little character generator for all of you lazy-asses who hate doing walkcycles ;) (Kidding) I will not limit this to only walking animations though because I know how many different animations a game needs. I won't do everything though but the basic stuff...pick up object...open doors etc. I'm not gonna have only cartoon characters either. I think a more realistic generator should be there too. There will be different hairstyles and body types etc. too. Maybe even add a simple roombuilder where you could randomize houses and stuff. The video is just a short demo of it and if you see a small stutter/jerky animation it's because the "stopped" frame is included in the walk as well. Sooooo...is this something anyone would like? :D Oh and I wasn't sure where to post this so if gen. disc. is wrong just move it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8vNg1Ud7k8
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Mandle

It looks like a really good start on what could become a useful tool. I would also suggest the options to change stride length/speed, arms "swinginess", head-bob, body-sway, etc...if it's at all possible.

Danvzare

This actually looks very good, and would probably be brilliant for anyone starting out.

I agree with Mandle's suggestions. I also think it would be nice to have some slight control over things such as head size, body size, and little deformations like that. So you can make each character look unique.

CaptainD

This looks very interesting!

Would it be able to export different styles?  Particularly sprites suitable for a 320x200 resolution game?

Snarky

Mouth for war

Ah I remember that walkcycle generator :D And Mandle...it IS indeed possible but it will take an insane amount of work I Think...Everything is seperate...legs and feet is one object...torso is one...head is one object and the hair is its own object...so it is possible for sure...I must find a clever way to create it all I guess :D

Captain D I'm not sure if I completely understand you with exporting different styles? do you mean different resolutions only? :)

Thanks Danvzare :D Like I said...all those things can be done but It will take a LOOOOT of time I think :D But....It only needs that big work once and then it's a generator for a lifetime haha :D

RickJ

You may want to have a look at Charas (http://charas-project.net/), an RPG character generator, for reference.  To succeed for adventure games I think there would need to be an easy way of adding different heads, torsos, clothing, hair, etc to a given model as previous posters have suggested.   

CaptainD

Quote from: Mouth for war on Wed 25/05/2016 22:37:15
Captain D I'm not sure if I completely understand you with exporting different styles? do you mean different resolutions only? :)

Yeah pretty much I guess - is it exported as a sprite sheet?

Mouth for war

Well each walk has 16 framesi think sowhen you save a view there will 16 individual frames for easy importing wherever you would need it :-) I guess resolutions would be possible too :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk