[Solved] Custom background for Say command?

Started by Stapper, Mon 30/05/2016 01:50:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Stapper

I've been scouring the forums and manual for days now and trying modules to find an answer, but I simply cannot find what I'm looking for.

Sure I can get a nice background for a dialog or make a custom GUI for it, but the placement doesn't work the same. The say command placement is really nice as it automatically centers the text above the characters' heads and adjusts when they are close to a screen border. I can't seem to get the same effect with a dialog box or GUI as these have to be manually placed.

Is there any way so I can get a background behind the say command? Or failing that is there a way so that the build in text GUI feature can be placed the same way the say functionality works?

dayowlron

If you use Sierra style there is a setting to draw a background around the speech. I am sure it can be done but it would take a lot of scripting to do it using Lucas style speech. Might require you to write your own say command and use extended functions.
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Stapper

The Sierra style is only for the dialog I think, it doesn't modify the Say command.

I was expecting this but I just wanted to make sure before exploring alternatives.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Stapper on Wed 01/06/2016 00:00:22
The Sierra style is only for the dialog I think, it doesn't modify the Say command.
It surely does, the dialogs are in fact converted to Say commands. Everything leads to same function in the end, and the way this function works is defined by Speech Style setting.

Sierra style does not display text on top of characters, like in Lucas-Arts style, though, but rather in predefined positions on top of the screen, so it may be or not be what you are looking for. Also, if I remember correctly, there is this quirk that Sierra speech does not work if you did not provide View for character portrait.

If you will prefer to go custom function way, I think you may also try using "DisplayAt" command instead of Say, because it is rendered with background, which you may customize.

Stapper

You're right, with the Sierra style it does look good, but I don't like the position of the text on the screen. It is too close to my HUD.

"DisplayAt" seems very nice at first glance, but I haven't found a way to display the text in different colors so that players can tell which character is talking.

So I guess I'll have to go with the custom option then. Thanks for your suggestions as well. They were really helpful :)

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stapper

Just to update, I have found the speech bubble script which solves my issue.

It put a background behind the speech and still dynamically positions it on the screen.

Thanks everyone!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk