MAGS June "Neglected Historical Eras" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/06/2016 01:48:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Voting has finished and the results are as follows:

• Columbus Lander by Mandle - 0 votes
• The a Cadaver Synod by Blondbraid - 4 votes
• Blackudder: to doubloon or ot to doubloon by Slasher - 6 votes

Well done Slasher. Victory is yours! You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for August.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

Columbus Lander by Mandle
The Cadaver Synod by Blondbraid
Blackudder: To doubloon or not to doubloon by Slasher

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR VOTE
Send the title of your favourite game under the subject MAGS JUNE

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite

Don't forget to rate and comment on the games' AGS entry page.

Voting Ends: July 14th

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: Neglected Historical Eras
This month's guidelines were set by cat and Miez

There are tons of games set in medieval times, the present or the distant future. But what about all those other settings and epochs? What about a game set in ancient Mesopotamia, during the French Revolution or the Japanese Edo Period?

Bonus points for including a real historic person or event (e.g. murder of Caesar, the arrival of Columbus etc.)

Wikipedia has a nice list to get you started.

Ending:  June 30th

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

DBoyWheeler

Wow, even after this MAGS is over, this idea could be perfect for other Adventure games.  Why should medieval, modern, and futuristic eras have all the fun, right?

Denzil Quixode

Hey, the first MAGS was June 2001 right? Happy 15th anniversary! ;)

Mandle

I'm in!!!

I'm claiming the Columbus theme: Gameplay is already about a quarter finished after an hour's work...

Goal: Gameplay centered around a classic old game, with some bells and whistles slapped on for fun...

Game name: "Columbus Lander"

The Great Underground Empire

I'm gonna try super hard to make this happen...I'm on summer break so there shouldn't be any distractions. :)

Going for a comedy cross of ancient Japan with a 30's mobsters theme, in "Wakizashi Malone: Samurai Detective".  Good luck everybody!

CaptainD

What a cool idea... I don't know if I'll be able to do something but it's certainly got me thinking about historical obscurities!

Events in the life of Sir Roger Mortimer could make a fascinating story. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Mortimer,_1st_Earl_of_March

Danvzare

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 01/06/2016 16:02:55
I'm claiming the Columbus theme: Gameplay is already about a quarter finished after an hour's work...
Ooh, I hope your game is historically accurate, because if it is, it could be hilarious. :-D
Remember, Columbus was an evil idiot. He thought the world was half the size that it actually was (people already knew it was round, and had already mathimatically determined it's correct size back during ancient Greek times), he discovered a land that had already been discovered before (it's even named after the person who had discovered it before him), and he started the slave trade.
He was one lucky evil idiot. You should be able to make a great game starring him. :-D

Mandle

Sorry, my game is not that in-depth...In fact, my wording was off...I don't really "claim" the Columbus theme...I just meant I would be going with that...

cat

Kumpel

Great topic! If I hadn't a ton of real life stuff to do, I would go for a Golden Twenties game... Inspired by "Midnight in Paris" and Picasso's famous café painting

I don't wanna spoil the fun but aren't Columbus and Roger Earl of March both set in medieval eras? ??? :=

Mandle

My take on it was more like: Not just a generic medieval-ish era like 90% of fantasy RPGs...

Part of the beauty of MAGS is that you can be extremely cavalier with how you interpret the theme:

Actually, I've just now decided that I'm going to switch to a tickling simulator game under the theme: "Neglected Hysterical Areas".... 8-)

Slasher

Blackudder and Baldick go in search of treasures still on-board sunken Spanish galleons in the West Indies with Sir Drake close behind (laugh)

If they fail to bring back a birthday present for Queen Elizabeth I it's head rolling at dawn..... So don't shave (laugh)

Radiant

cat

Quote from: Kumpel on Thu 02/06/2016 18:27:56
Great topic! If I hadn't a ton of real life stuff to do, I would go for a Golden Twenties game... Inspired by "Midnight in Paris" and Picasso's famous café painting
Please do so!

I don't wanna spoil the fun but aren't Columbus and Roger Earl of March both set in medieval eras? ??? :=
Since some historics consider the discovery of America as the beginning of modern history, I think this is a great era to pick.

Quote from: slasher on Fri 03/06/2016 10:14:44
Blackudder and Baldick go in search of treasures still on-board sunken Spanish galleons in the West Indies with Sir Drake close behind (laugh)
Sounds great!

Slasher

IF i do enter it will be:

Blackudder: To doubloon or not to doubloon....

Francis Drakes' exploits in the West Indies looting Spanish treasure from the sunken galleons for Elizabeth I.

Does Blackudder have a cunning plan that's cunning to enable him to grab some of the booty and be in Elizabeth I's favour?

QuoteBlackudder: "We must beat Drakes' boat to the West Indies and pinch some of the Spanish treasures."
Blackudder: "I will be extremely rich and the Queen will again favour me. Er, I mean us."
Blackudder: "Baldick. Get my boat ready. We sail for the West Indies tonite."
Blackudder: "We'll beat Drakes' mob."
Baldick: "We don't have a boat."
Blackudder: "Yes we do. It's that great big wooden thing that floats on water."
Baldick: "We did have a great big wooden thing that floats on water."
Baldick: "It's been repossessed."
Blackudder: "Repossessed?!"
Baldick: "On account that you have not kept up with your payments."
Blackudder: "As Noah said when he found a rather large hole in his ark: Well, that's just great!"
Blackudder: "Well, that leaves us with six pounds, three shillings and ten pence."
Blackudder: "Don't bother shaving, Baldrick."

Mandle

Sounds like Slasher and myself are headed into the same waters:

Columbus meeting Blackadder along the way could only end badly...

Slasher

QuoteSounds like Slasher and myself are headed into the same waters:
We both even have a map....Weird or what? (laugh)

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Argh! After hours of staring at and tweaking my code trying to figure out why it wasn't behaving as I expected I gave up for the time being and decided to work on the title screen instead...

About 5 minutes after closing AGS, while sitting on the toilet, the answer suddenly came to me even though I'd stopped thinking about it...

Isn't it always the way?!

Slasher

Great inspirations can come from toilets Mandle... Jimi Hendrix loved the acoustics and spent many a happy hour sitting on the toilet strumming away (laugh)

Update on Blackudder: Begining done. Ending done. Doing the middle parts now...(laugh)

Blackudder: "We must beat Drakes' boat to the West Indies and pinch some of the Spanish treasures."
Blackudder: "I will be extremely rich and the Queen will again favour me. Er, I mean us."
Blackudder: "Baldick. Get my boat ready. We sail for the West Indies tonite."
Blackudder: "We'll beat Drakes' boat."
Baldick: "We don't have a boat."
Blackudder: "Yes we do. It's that great big wooden thing that floats on water."
Baldick: "We did have a great big wooden thing that floats on water."
Baldick: "It's been repossessed, m'lord."
Blackudder: "Repossessed?!"
Baldick: "Yes, m'lord. On account you have not kept up with your payments."
Blackudder: "Well, we'd better find another one very quickly or the only wooden thing floating on water around here is going to be your head, you clamorous clodpoll!"

I want to see how the others are doing...and what they've chosen (nod)

Mandle

Yay!!! My toilet coninspitation was right on track and I managed to get some good floaters going:

I managed to get the ship's movement as fluid as I had intended (the problem was that I was rounding the floats into ints and then getting back the values from the ints instead of saving the floats as seperate variables)...

Anyways...enough about floaters...

Shit (intentional) is getting real now: If you look down at the bottom (not intentional) of the screen you might notice a "MORALE" title: This is what just ran out in this screenie, but I couldn't show the actual meter as it had just ran out...

Music added as well which makes replaying the damn thing during tweaking much more fun...

Blondbraid

I'm sure exited to see what games will be made from this theme, and what eras will be picked!

I don't have any good game-play or puzzle ideas for this competition myself, but I'm hoping
that someone somewhere will make a game about the Migration preiod, seeing that
it's such an obscure era and so poorly documented that some historians actually doubted that it even occurred! (roll)

Yes, I've actually read theories that a good chunk of the dark ages were fabricated because medieval kings
added a few hundred years to the calendar so that they could hold a thousand year anniversary during their reign.
So, the whole middle ages was a conspiracy all along! (laugh)

Adeel

To be honest, the theme for this month's MAGS is among my favourites. And what's equally amazing is the fact that my holidays have just started (which means that I have time) and on top of that, I'd been itching for developing a new game.

Alas, my lack of visual art skills more or less mean that it will not be possible.

Stupot

Adeel

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 07/06/2016 01:44:53
Doooooo iiiiit!

Frankly speaking, it seems unlikely. I just wanted to show my strong support for this theme at this point. :) I'll try coming up with something and contacting an artist or two, though.

cat

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 06/06/2016 18:06:41
I don't have any good game-play or puzzle ideas for this competition myself, but I'm hoping
that someone somewhere will make a game about the Migration preiod, seeing that
it's such an obscure era and so poorly documented that some historians actually doubted that it even occurred! (roll)
Wow, that would indeed be a great topic. I hope you will make a game about it - since it's so obscure, you probably have lots of freedom regarding gameplay and puzzles ;-D

Quote from: Adeel on Tue 07/06/2016 01:42:47
Alas, my lack of visual art skills more or less mean that it will not be possible.
MAGS is not about graphics, it's about making a game within one month. And with your comedic writing skills and enough time due to your holidays, I'm sure you will make a very enjoyable game (nod)

Retro Wolf

You could always do a text adventure Adeel!

CaptainD

@Mandle - a ship, a map of the Caribbean and crew morale - memories of Pirates! on my Atari ST all those years ago - awesome! :-D

Adeel:  Do eeeeet!  Draw stick figures in MS Paint if you have to.  Good content makes any level of art work, look at XKCD.

I personally am stealing liberating the works of Japanese artists like Hiroshige and Hokusai, just pasting in their landscape and city scenes as whole backgrounds, and their closeup portraits of people as my characters (with lip synced mouths superimposed).  I drew my own main character, but otherwise I'm borrowing wholesale to meet the time deadline.

It's kinda funny because it's shaped my entire detective plot around what art already existed, and I had to make it all fit with minor add-ons. :)

[imgzoom]https://i.imgsafe.org/6f6cde8194.png[/imgzoom]

ZapZap

I was thinking about making one about the trial of Socrates, already getting lots of documentation via Wikipedia, hoping to get some help with scripting :embarrassed:, and a lot with tunes :embarrassed: :embarrassed: (anyone up for "Sirtaking" the hell out of a game?)   
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

Slasher

My entry

Blackudder: To doubloon or not to doubloon....

Is now finished and it's testing / tweaking time (laugh)

Miez

So curious what you all come up with! Looking forward to playing the entries.  If time had permitted,  I'd have loved to participate. Some rip roaring Mayan adventure or a steamy neanderthal love story... Ah well, next time :-D

Slasher

First screenie

Blackudder and Baldick trying to figure out how to afford a birthday surprise for Elizabeth I:

Blondbraid

Nice-looking screenshots there!
I
Quote from: cat on Tue 07/06/2016 08:36:10
Wow, that would indeed be a great topic. I hope you will make a game about it - since it's so obscure, you probably have lots of freedom regarding gameplay and puzzles ;-D
I really, really love the theme of neglected historical eras, but sadly I still haven't got any ideas that I can make into actual game-play... :~(
Part of me was thinking about doing something with the cadaver synod,
but I can't come up with any good game-play elements, and I'm not sure from who's perspective to tell the story...???

Slasher

Running lyrics (laugh)

Sing along to...

Blackudder always dreams of riches
To fill his pockets full of treasure
To be a lord is what he wishes
With Baldick's company for pleasure

Blackudder, Blackudder
The scourge of all the seas
Blackudder, Blackudder
His exploits are naughty

Black, his heart is cold as ice
Black, his remarks are rather witty
His ship's faster than the speed of light
Baldick thinks he is prim and pretty

Blackudder, Blackudder
The crab upon the seas
Blackudder, Blackudder
You dirty rotten flea

Blondbraid

And now I can't get the Blackadder theme-song ut of my head! (laugh)
Please tell me that it will play over the game credits!

Slasher

QuoteBlondbraid: Please tell me that it will play over the game credits!
It indeed will... with a guitarist contributing plus multi-layered vocals...

Slasher

My MAG game this month is based on fact of an era when Queen Elizabeth I commissioned Sir Francis Drake to plunder the sunken / destroyed Spanish galleons in the West Indies (Carribean) and bring their treasures back to England.

Of course this is just the background setting for the story and it did not anticipate that one such person, namely Edmund Blackudder would become involved with the plundering of these sunken galleons.

With her majesty's birthday only 8 months away and Blackudder being skint, he needs a cunning plan that's cunning else he will get the 'chop'!

He overhears Sir Francis Drake blabbing on about plundering treasure from the Spanish galleons in the West Indies.

Blackudder decides to beat Drake to the West Indies and pinch some of the Spanish treasures for himself therby affording the Queen a birthday present and will assure him a place in her affections. He also hopes she will make him a Lord (he already presumes the title of Lord)....and above all: spare him the 'chop'!

Of course things do not go quite according to plan when Baldick (Blackudders' put-upon sidekick) tells Blackudder that his boat has been repossessed!

Includes revised lyrics.

New screenie in production

On board a damaged Spanish galleon

Shadow1000

Looks AWESOME, Slasher! Background art is gorgeous and the story sounds really promising. I look forward to this release!

SHADOW

Slasher

Thank you Shadow, i drew the background myself....

All's ready and just waiting to put the music in.. hopefully soon.

Am i going to be the first to reveal (roll)

Thanks.

Slasher

Blackudder: To doubloon or not to doubloon

My entry for June's MAG is a parady based on fact of an era when Queen Elizabeth I commissioned Sir Francis Drake to plunder the sunken or destroyed Spanish galleons in the West Indies (Carribean) and bring their treasures back to England.

Of course this is just the background setting for the story and it did not anticipate that one such person, namely Edmund Blackudder would become involved with the plundering of these sunken galleons.

With her majesty's birthday only 8 months away and Blackudder being skint, he needs a cunning plan that's cunning else he will get the 'chop'!

Blackudder overhears Sir Francis Drake blabbing on about plundering treasure from the Spanish galleons in the West Indies.

Blackudder decides to beat Drake to the West Indies and pinch some of the Spanish treasures for himself therby affording the Queen a birthday present and will assure him a place in her affections. He also hopes she will make him a Lord (he already presumes the title of Lord)....and above all: spare him the 'chop'!

Of course things do not start according to plan when Baldick (Blackudders' put-upon sidekick) tells Blackudder that his boat has been repossessed!

Follow Blackudders' exploits on the high seas.

Catchy parady song to sing along to with a twist of fate...

Play now and enjoy ;)
(Tweaked June 13th)

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2066/

Comments welcomed

Cassiebsg

Slasher, you put this all forum to shame! :-[
Looking forward to trying it... though I still need to finish all entries from last month... :-[

Slasher

Where's everybody hiding?

Come on, show us your jewels (laugh)

Adeel

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words, everyone. But I just don't think that my game will ever materialize. Sorry for disappointing.

Loving all the games showcased here. Keep up the good work!

Currently running slow because I got partway in, then discovered 3.3.5 still has the same Verb Coin bug that won't let your character walk.

So I just did a manual rebuild of my game with a copied over Verb Coin template from 3.2.1...imported anything that could be imported from the original file, hand copied over everything else, made sure everything was reassigned to proper views, sprites, general settings, global variables, etc...

Now my rooms are freezing, my mouse is freezing (but my touchpad isn't??) even after the engine and game are turned off, and cEgo isn't appearing in his starting room any more, even though I can see him standing there when I make the room's Characters visible.

Sooo...yeah.  Trying to figure that all out. :/

If it comes to it, I'll rebuild from scratch again tomorrow without importing anything, and see if that helps.  Or start from scratch and not use verbcoin.

Still hope to get mine done on time!

Blondbraid

I've decided to try and make a contribution after all.
Here is a screenshot of my game about the cadaver synod, which I in a remarkable strike of creativity, cleverly named The cadaver synod.
Several historians regard this historical event as the lowest point in the history of the catholic church, which is quite an impressive feat, considering they once had three popes. At the same time. (roll)

I decided to take a few creative liberties however, since I wanted to include a legendary figure who, among other things, became the inspiration for one of the cards in the tarot deck.
Can anyone guess where this is going? ;)

Mandle

Above entries are all looking AMAZING!!! Can't wait to have the time to play them!

I got quite a lot of work done on my game today:

Game mechanics are finally tweaked close to where I want them. Several physics errors also corrected...

The game is quickly becoming a potential educational experience about the voyages of Columbus: I've learnt a lot in any case...

Cassiebsg

Looking great! And Looking forward to play these! :-D

cat

Slasher

Cat
QuoteGreat to see so many entries coming up!
I agree and i would like to see a lot more people fuel the jet and get creating....

Some say a month is not long enough: That's why i try to show that it is possible despite any negativity about my games.

I'm not fast but i am determined, despite everything.

Come on guys, let's get this place rockin' with MAG games...

Your imagination is brimming so let's see them in action.

Mandle,Blondbraid, PlayPretend:

Glad to see your entries are coming along nicely (nod)

Mine is done so no turning back for me now (laugh)

Phew...I did a working rebuild in the Default Game template instead of Verb Coin.  Back on track!

Can't wait to see everyone else's! :)

Mandle

Yay!

I stayed up a bit past my bedtime tonight and managed to complete the mechanics to play Columbus' "historically accurate" first voyage, and also play the game quite a few times until I had managed my first in-game success on roughly following his route without crashing into land, having a mutiny ensue from low crew morale (bar at bottom of screen), or running out of supplies (new resource bar at top of screen):

At this point in the game I would just need to head east and back to Spain to collect a tidy purse of gold, and then spend that to perhaps upgrade my ships at the "shop", and/or hire some fresh new crew, and/or buy more supplies, before heading out on Columbus' second voyage...

I plan to include all of his voyages in the game, and perhaps a few fictional ones beyond that if things go well...

cat

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 16/06/2016 16:12:50
I plan to include all of his voyages in the game, and perhaps a few fictional ones beyond that if things go well...
Please have him travel the Panama Canal (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: cat on Thu 16/06/2016 16:42:39
Please have him travel the Panama Canal (laugh)

Hahaha! Maybe his ships plow through and dig it by accident...

Blondbraid

I stayed up a bit past my bedtime tonight and managed to complete the mechanics to play Columbus' "historically accurate" first voyage, and also play the game quite a few times until I had managed my first in-game success on roughly following his route without crashing into land, having a mutiny ensue from low crew morale (bar at bottom of screen), or running out of supplies (new resource bar at top of screen):

Now you've made me think of The magic voyage! (laugh)
(probably the most hilarious and inaccurate Columbus movie I've ever seen, the best part is when Columbus tries to show mutinous sailors he isn't mad... by bursting into song on an accordion!) (laugh)

I have worked some more on my own game, it starts with a simple puzzle to introduce the main character, and then it's off to the titular cadaver synod.

The premise is that pope Stephen the sixth or seventh, is holding a trial against his predecessor Formosus,
and you play as the scholar tasked with defending Formosus.
The thing is, this scholar don't know the laws, have no previous legal experience and haven't even heard what the charges are.
That's the probably the reason Stephen chose them.

I'm about to start working on the actual trial next, and I'm mostly using this painting by Jean-Paul Laurens of the event as my foremost inspiration:

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 17/06/2016 15:13:42
Now you've made me think of The magic voyage! (laugh)
(probably the most hilarious and inaccurate Columbus movie I've ever seen, the best part is when Columbus tries to show mutinous sailors he isn't mad... by bursting into song on an accordion!) (laugh)

I just watched the clip....HAHAHAHA!!! Amazing!!! Soooo much ironic humour subtly placed in a "kids" cartoon...

Also: Your game with the story of the "fool" chosen to defend the church's scapegoat..(And winning through in the end I'm assuming)...THAT'S a great story right there!!! Everyone loves an underdog story, especially when the fall-guy manages to deliver the fitting comeuppance to the dudes that set them up...

I also love how you have taken your colour pallette from the source picture shown above: I look from one to the other and, apart from the cartoon aesthetic in yours, they could have been done by the same artist...

But I've stayed up too late working on my own game so:

Time for beddy-bye!!!

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 17/06/2016 16:28:11
I just watched the clip....HAHAHAHA!!! Amazing!!! Soooo much ironic humour subtly placed in a "kids" cartoon...
I strongly recommend watching the whole movie, you could devote an entire forum thread on everything wrong with it; racist caricatures, gross historical inaccuracy, so, so many unintentional sexual innuendos, a graphic scene of Columbus getting hanged and walking away unharmed...
In the words of the Nostalgia critic, "You know, a children's movie!" ;)

As for my game, believe it or not, it's actually based on a real historical event and a trial that really took place in Rome in the year 897:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadaver_Synod

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried! (wtf)

I've said it in a previous post, but I'll say it again:
Several historians regard this historical event as the lowest point in the history of the catholic church, which is quite an impressive feat, considering they once had three popes. At the same time. 8-0

Mandle

I spent a very unreasonable amount of time trying to figure out a GUI button's issue today, only to find that by moving its location that that somehow updated its status in the engine and then it worked perfectly...

:~(

In other news: The game is working great right now and I'm almost ready to send it off to testers...

I managed to get the "crash into land" mechanic working without being too frustrating for the player and...

Here's a screenie of how I managed to make each voyage a different colour (An easy sentence to type hiding behind 2 hours of frustration):

CaptainD

Mandle your game looks really interesting! But then I always loved the game Pirates! so I may be a little biased... :-D

Danvzare

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 22/06/2016 17:46:47
Mandle your game looks really interesting! But then I always loved the game Pirates! so I may be a little biased... :-D
A little off topic here, but if you always loved Pirates! You should definitely play Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons.
It's like Pirates! but better. At least in my opinion. :-D

Also Mandle. I'm looking forward to sailing around on that map. The screwed up paths reminds me on Monkey Island 2. (laugh)

And Blondbraid, the blond haired monk looks like that rage face that says "You don't say!".
Also that comment the monk makes is hilarious. (laugh)

Slasher

Glad you have it sorted Mandle... can't wait to sail on the ocean waves (laugh)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 22/06/2016 17:59:00
Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 22/06/2016 17:46:47
A little off topic here, but if you always loved Pirates! You should definitely play Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons.
It's like Pirates! but better. At least in my opinion. :-D
Gameplay-wise, it reminds me of The new world. It's a pretty good game about planning and resources.
QuoteAnd Blondbraid, the blond haired monk looks like that rage face that says "You don't say!".
Also that comment the monk makes is hilarious. (laugh)
The similarity was purely unintentional! I sort of recycled some sprites from a previous game I made in order to save time. Anyways, here is another screenshot of my game: I took a lot of inspiration from the Jean-Paul Laurens painting of the event, you can compare for yourselves:
Spoiler
[close]

My game will have a bit of a weird pacing though, first a short inventory-based puzzle to introduce the main character, while the rest of the game is essentially just one long dialogue, but I do hope the premise will be interesting enough to make up for this.

Slasher

Mandle

So....Is the guy in the chair just suffering from dementia or is he actually dead?

I'm thinking the latter, in which case: Monty Python couldn't have done a better job of a farcical trial skit!!!

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 23/06/2016 15:39:02
So....Is the guy in the chair just suffering from dementia or is he actually dead?
I'm thinking the latter, in which case: Monty Python couldn't have done a better job of a farcical trial skit!!!
Well, if you are curious on the historical background, here is a link to an article on the trial, where the answer to your question can be found:
(spoiler-waring for events that took place over 1200 years ago! ;))
http://digitalcommons.law.uga.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1045&context=fac_pm

But I have also decided to put a twist of my own in the game, because I thought it would be funny to add a certain legendary medieval character into the story!
Among other tings, this character is said to have been the inspiration of the second card in the major arcana in the traditional tarot deck.
Can anyone guess which character I'm thinking of? :)

My game will be short, but I will include multiple dialog choices so that you have to play it two or three times in order to see it all.

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 23/06/2016 16:28:28
Among other tings, this character is said to have been the inspiration of the second card in the major arcana in the traditional tarot deck.
Can anyone guess which character I'm thinking of? :)

I'll have a guess:

Don Quixote: The Fool?

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 23/06/2016 23:20:27
I'll have a guess:

Don Quixote: The Fool?
Nice guess, but as much as I like Don Quixote, he will not appear in this game. :(
Now I do hope I don't spoil too much, but the card I referred to is commonly known as The High Priestess, and it also has another older title...

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 23/06/2016 23:31:17
Now I do hope I don't spoil too much, but the card I referred to is commonly known as The High Priestess,

I guess Joan Of Arc...

In other news:

I have had an amazingly talented voice actor volunteer for some SFX which I have plugged into the game and they work a serious charm!

I've completed the first and second voyages of Columbus and the third and forth shouldn't be too much trouble now that I know how to script them (kinda)...

I'm planning something special for the fifth, last, and fictional voyage...

Actually, now that I'm burned out on coding I should probably just go do the work on that...

* Mandle high-fives himself and says: "Natch!"

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 25/06/2016 17:16:57
I guess Joan Of Arc...
Good guess, but still a no. This person does share their first name with the maiden of Orleans though, so it's closer this time. :)

I do suppose you can see for yourself in the game soon enough, for it's almost complete now,
playable from start to finish (it isn't very long) and most of the sounds and graphics in place.

Now all that remains is to choose some music and draw a game over screen (attempting to troll an enraged pontiff will not be without consequence!).

Slasher

And don't forget the spell check..

Looks good..

Blondbraid

Yes, just noticed the error in my screenshot, good thing you mentioned! :-[
But other than that, all the necessary sounds and sprites are in place and I
have yet to discover any major bugs at least.

Cassiebsg

Uhm, to be honest I didn't even knew there was a limit on the objects. :-[
Guess if they don't get raised, I can give up on an idea I was going to try out... but that would mean I needed 48 objects extra, not to mention all the ones I already have on the scene, which is currently 5, but still missing a few for some animations. :-\.

Danvzare

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 26/06/2016 20:35:33
Uhm, to be honest I didn't even knew there was a limit on the objects. :-[
Guess if they don't get raised, I can give up on an idea I was going to try out... but that would mean I needed 48 objects extra, not to mention all the ones I already have on the scene, which is currently 5, but still missing a few for some animations. :-\.
I've said this on a different thread but I'll repeat it here, because I honestly think it could work.
Why not use characters as replacements for objects?
It'll be messy, but it should work in theory.

Cassiebsg

Oh dear, I posted on the wrong thread, so sorry! :-[
Is there a way for a mod to move these posts into the right thread here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53685.0 ???

Pretty please. (nod)
Danvzare, that would work, but too much work for what I want to do.

Sorry everybody, I'm not going to finish after all.  But good luck to the other fantastic looking entries!

Mandle

Quote from: PlayPretend on Sun 26/06/2016 22:01:29
Sorry everybody, I'm not going to finish after all.  But good luck to the other fantastic looking entries!

That's a real shame, but I know how it feels...I have missed the deadline a few times myself, but the games still exist for when I have the time/motivation to work on them again someday (or not)...

I did a LOT of work tonight, way past a sensible bedtime once again, but I'm glad I did as I very much underestimated the time needed to get the game ready...

Now I'm back on track, I have a cool (possibly seasickness-inducing) menu screen, and a bit of polish on GUIS...

Tomorrow night and Wednesday will be the final pushes to get the rest done in time...

BUT I WILL!!!

Cassiebsg

Stupot

How's progress? A little under 48 hours remaining. Start getting your ribbons and bows out.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 29/06/2016 02:51:44
How's progress? A little under 48 hours remaining. Start getting your ribbons and bows out.

In the last push... (I'm actually coding with my other hand while typing this, and drawing graphics with my foot)

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 29/06/2016 03:53:47
Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 29/06/2016 02:51:44

In the last push... (I'm actually coding with my other hand while typing this, and drawing graphics with my foot)
Hehe, I dread to think what you're using to stir your tea :-)

Cassiebsg

Mandle

Naw...I was using that dangly thing men have in the middle of their body:

Spoiler
My necktie (sorry...corny old Japanese joke...)
[close]

I'm out of gas for today...must sleep...

But I have a "playable" version of the game which has been sent off to a few "tester" if they are able to help out in the next 24 hours or so...If not, then that's all cool too...

Hopefully I can get the last bells and whistles chucked in tomorrow to make the game actually understandable and finish off the ending...or if not, then I will just release a partially incomplete version with apologies...for now...

G'night!

Cassiebsg

Blondbraid

Wow, and to think that I made my game with the mouse in one hand and my head leaning firmly on the other hand. I didn't even start working until halfway into the month! (roll)
But then again, looking on the final result it's about ten minutes of playtime, and it feels less like a historical courtroom drama and more like a fever-dream with popes in it than I originally intended.

Anyway, my game is complete now and I have put it up for all to play, and it will be fun to see your opinions on it! ;-D
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53697.new#new

CaptainD

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 29/06/2016 16:17:28
My men were lost at sea... :~(

I ran out of grog... although maybe my crew already had too much?!

Also, congrats Blondbraind for completing your game! :)

Mandle

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 29/06/2016 22:36:16
I ran out of grog... although maybe my crew already had too much?!

Looks like the Captain himself had a bit too much too...You're supposed to hang a left at Cuba!!! (laugh)

Mandle

Ducking in at the last moment, and much too much out of gas to provide any further screenies, but here is my entry:

Make of it what you may:

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE GAME

Not even sure if everything works right or not...

I will be testing it myself tomorrow, but for now I must collapse into bed...

Goodnight AGS...

EDIT:

Yeah, I couldn't sleep without playing through the game and making sure it was playable to the end...

Here is a screenie as proof that the historical four voyages of Columbus are possible at least...

The fictional FIFTH voyage is up to you, the player, to reveal however...

EDIT:

Oh...It seems I forgot to change the credits to include the names of my last-minute testers: CaptainD and Cassiebsg...I will rectify this heinous oversight ASAP...

I also forgot to mention anywhere in the "Game Info" that the game is autosaved every time you return to port (the shop), and reloads on the shop menu when you select "Load Game" from the title screen menu. So you should never have to redo a voyage once it is finished, unless you wish to start a new game and make different buying choices along the way...

I'm really interested to see if anyone can complete the game...I can...But I'm a bit of a pro at it by now after all my own hours upon hours of testing... 8-)

Blondbraid

Nice game Mandle!
It's a great idea and I loved the slapstick humor in all the sound effects and voice-acting as well as driving in circles,
it reminds me of the scene in Borat where he flies to America and we see the weird path he takes... (laugh)

Though I must say the endless spinning text on the title screen left me a little sea-sick. :-X

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 30/06/2016 20:56:35
Nice game Mandle!
It's a great idea and I loved the slapstick humor in all the sound effects and voice-acting as well as driving in circles,
it reminds me of the scene in Borat where he flies to America and we see the weird path he takes... (laugh)

Though I must say the endless spinning text on the title screen left me a little sea-sick. :-X

Cheers for the good words! It was an insane rush to get the game "finished", including breaking it time and again at the last minute...

Any comparison to Borat can only be a good thing!

We have CaptainD (and his patient 5-year-old) to thank for the voice acting. He PM'd me asking if he could help with any sound effects and I immediately jumped on him to do the voice acting for the crew's varying moods...I love the voices, and always smile at the charm they add to what otherwise might have been a bit of a bland experience...

Stupot

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.
I hope I didn't miss anybody.

Columbus Lander by Mandle
The Cadaver Synod by Blondbraid
Blackudder: To doubloon or not to doubloon by Slasher

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR VOTE
Send the title of your favourite game under the subject MAGS JUNE

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite

Don't forget to rate and comment on the games' AGS entry page.

Voting Ends: July 14th

Mandle

After playing all the games:

I loved The Cadaver Synod for its graphical charm and its farcical representation of bureaucracy taken to new heights of insanity when deciding on matters that would affect the entire course of the future history of mankind...Much like what we are coincidentally seeing now in America and Britain (or...actually..."coincidentally"??? Blondbraid...did you actually have such a subtext in mind? If so then please submit a resume to the British parliment...I hear they are looking for smart people...)

But I must, however, vote for "Blackudder" for these reasons which I will copy/paste from another thread and then hide because spam:

Spoiler

I just finished playing and I must just say:

Trust a bloody old fart of a Brit to completely understand the comedy recipe of Blackadder!!!

The gameplay is good...I mean...don't get me wrong...

BUT!!! The script of the game so perfectly follows an episode of Blackadder that it SHOULD be an episode!!!

Except, this time, I wasn't just waiting to laugh at the:

SPOILER ALERT
Spoiler
Eventual and inescapable failure of the "cunning plan"...
NO! I was dreading it after all my hard work getting all those treasures!
[close]

It's a much different feeling when you are watching someone else being the comedic fallguy than when you yourself are being that fallguy...

I knew that the...

EXTREME SPOILER ALERT
Spoiler
boat was going to sink (well foreshadowed by the way, and in the vein of the show where Blackadder never listens to Baldrick's occasional gems of actual wisdom)

but I really was hoping that the comedy formula of the show was not going to be applied in just my special case...

And then it was...And I had a good laugh at my own expense...
[close]

Slasher (yeah, I'm never going to call you "Mystery Man"), you are a natural comedian: You understand very well the formula of comedy, and how it should be hokey and campy and hinky, and anything else with four letters ended with a "y"...

I have never failed to get a smile and a laugh out of whatever games you manage to pull out of your arse in a week or two...

Please...oh...please keep doing what you do!
[close]

And, after having resaid all that:

Blackudder just had a lot more to do for the player interactive-wise...Even if they were simple things like finding obvious objects on the screen...I always felt that I was involved in deciding what to do next...

So I guess I felt more immersion, and therefore just a very bit more fun because of that factor...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 02/07/2016 09:29:14
I loved The Cadaver Synod for its graphical charm and its farcical representation of bureaucracy taken to new heights of insanity when deciding on matters that would affect the entire course of the future history of mankind...Much like what we are coincidentally seeing now in America and Britain (or...actually..."coincidentally"??? Blondbraid...did you actually have such a subtext in mind? If so then please submit a resume to the British parliment...I hear they are looking for smart people...)
With the new travel and passport rules, I'm not sure if they'll let me in... (roll)

But no, I started working on my game before the whole Brexit thing started, though I do think it's telling of our times if a parody of a trial that took place in the dark ages feels like contemporary satire.
As some dead guy once said, those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

I'm voting for Blackudder for similar reasons, as well as being a fan of Rowan Atkinson! ;-D

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sat 02/07/2016 10:30:33
But no, I started working on my game before the whole Brexit thing started, though I do think it's telling of our times if a parody of a trial that took place in the dark ages feels like contemporary satire.

(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

Miez

Good turnout this time! Looking forward to playing the entries...

Riaise

Columbus Lander by Mandle:

I'll admit, I'm useless at games like this. I only got onto the second voyage. I found the controls a bit difficult at first, but it got a bit easier with some practise. It was interesting to follow the route of Columbus, but it would have been nice to have some labels on the map. Great work!

The Cadaver Synod by Blondbraid:

This is a great little history lesson! It's a very interesting idea, although a bit light on gameplay. The graphics are lovely and it's very well made for such a short space of time. A very charming little game. :)

Blackudder: To doubloon or not to doubloon by Slasher:

Wow, the humour is absolutely spot on in this game and the dialogue is incredibly true to the show. The controls are a little bit fiddly - I didn't notice at first that the cursor was changing colour, so using different icons, or perhaps just more distinct colours, might have worked better. The puzzles were good, so overall, well done!

cat

Great games! I enjoyed the games a lot and it was interesting to see, what everyone would come up with for the topic.

@PlayPretend I hope you will still finish your Edo game.

Columbus Lander by Mandle:
Interesting concept and quite educational (though I didn't manage to finish even the second journey :P but I'll continue trying)
Loved the voice acting!

Bonus points for the historic aspect.

The Cadaver Synod by Blondbraid:
What a weird story - you made me read the Wikipedia article about this, so thanks to you I learned something new!
The graphics are nice and the writing is good. On the other hand, there is not so much gameplay. Would any of the dialog options I choose make for a different outcome?

Bonus points for the historic aspect as well.

Blackudder: To doubloon or not to doubloon by Slasher:
This was just hilarious. I don't know Blackadder but this was still fun to play. The dialog was funny and the ship was an adventure gamer's heaven - so much stuff to pick up. And it is even put on a nice list (the money count made me crack up).

Looting the ship and the funny dialog made this the winner for me.

Blondbraid

Quote from: cat on Sat 09/07/2016 22:55:28
On the other hand, there is not so much gameplay. Would any of the dialog options I choose make for a different outcome?
Well., there is one difference...
Spoiler
The dialogs will have different punchlines!

But otherwise, you can not affect the outcome of the trial and it always ends the same. Partially because I wanted to showcase the Kafkaesque absurdness of an historical mock-trial where the defendant was clearly judged beforehand,
and partially because I didn't have any time or ideas for implementing more non-linear gameplay.
[close]
Regardless it's fun to see that my game has taught players something about history, and it will certainly be exciting to see what the results of the vote will be! ;-D

Slasher

Spoiler
QuoteBut otherwise, you can not affect the outcome of the trial and it always ends the same. Partially because I wanted to showcase the Kafkaesque absurdness of an historical mock-trial where the defendant was clearly judged beforehand,
[close]
Sounds like our Parliament (laugh)

Stupot

oting has finished and the results are as follows:

• Columbus Lander by Mandle - 0 votes
• The a Cadaver Synod by Blondbraid - 4 votes
• Blackudder: to doubloon or ot to doubloon by Slasher - 6 votes

Well done Slasher. Victory is yours! You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for August.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

Miez

Congratulations to all contestants! Great entries, each of which I really enjoyed playing. And extra congrats to Slasher: good job!

Blondbraid

Congratulations Slasher!
Blackudder really felt like a winner from the start, with both fun story and gameplay.

Mandle

Congratulations slasher on a well deserved win, mate! I knew you would conquer MAGS with ease, but what I didn't expect was that you would do it in only half or less of the contest time! Freakin' amazing work!

And I can't wait to see what theme you pick for the September theme!!!

Stupot

Slasher has already told me the theme for August. It's called "4 weeks 4 games" :-P

Slasher

Thanks guy...

Everyone is a winner in their own way but of course being picked the main winner is a great reward and i shall cherish it.

thanks to all you guys and to all you entrants who entered (nod)
QuoteSlasher has already told me the theme for August. It's called "4 weeks 4 games" :-P
Nice idea Stupot... i could operate 4 computers at the same time (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sat 16/07/2016 01:46:01
Slasher has already told me the theme for August. It's called "4 weeks 4 games" :-P

Holy shit! I actually thought you were being serious, and then I thought "Yep...That sounds like Les alright..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk