MAGS June "Neglected Historical Eras" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/06/2016 01:48:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Voting has finished and the results are as follows:

• Columbus Lander by Mandle - 0 votes
• The a Cadaver Synod by Blondbraid - 4 votes
• Blackudder: to doubloon or ot to doubloon by Slasher - 6 votes

Well done Slasher. Victory is yours! You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for August.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

Columbus Lander by Mandle
The Cadaver Synod by Blondbraid
Blackudder: To doubloon or not to doubloon by Slasher

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR VOTE
Send the title of your favourite game under the subject MAGS JUNE

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite

Don't forget to rate and comment on the games' AGS entry page.

Voting Ends: July 14th

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: Neglected Historical Eras
This month's guidelines were set by cat and Miez

There are tons of games set in medieval times, the present or the distant future. But what about all those other settings and epochs? What about a game set in ancient Mesopotamia, during the French Revolution or the Japanese Edo Period?

Bonus points for including a real historic person or event (e.g. murder of Caesar, the arrival of Columbus etc.)

Wikipedia has a nice list to get you started.

Ending:  June 30th

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

DBoyWheeler

Wow, even after this MAGS is over, this idea could be perfect for other Adventure games.  Why should medieval, modern, and futuristic eras have all the fun, right?

Denzil Quixode

Hey, the first MAGS was June 2001 right? Happy 15th anniversary! ;)

Mandle

I'm in!!!

I'm claiming the Columbus theme: Gameplay is already about a quarter finished after an hour's work...

Goal: Gameplay centered around a classic old game, with some bells and whistles slapped on for fun...

Game name: "Columbus Lander"

The Great Underground Empire

I'm gonna try super hard to make this happen...I'm on summer break so there shouldn't be any distractions. :)

Going for a comedy cross of ancient Japan with a 30's mobsters theme, in "Wakizashi Malone: Samurai Detective".  Good luck everybody!

CaptainD

What a cool idea... I don't know if I'll be able to do something but it's certainly got me thinking about historical obscurities!

Events in the life of Sir Roger Mortimer could make a fascinating story. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Mortimer,_1st_Earl_of_March

Danvzare

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 01/06/2016 16:02:55
I'm claiming the Columbus theme: Gameplay is already about a quarter finished after an hour's work...
Ooh, I hope your game is historically accurate, because if it is, it could be hilarious. :-D
Remember, Columbus was an evil idiot. He thought the world was half the size that it actually was (people already knew it was round, and had already mathimatically determined it's correct size back during ancient Greek times), he discovered a land that had already been discovered before (it's even named after the person who had discovered it before him), and he started the slave trade.
He was one lucky evil idiot. You should be able to make a great game starring him. :-D

Mandle

Sorry, my game is not that in-depth...In fact, my wording was off...I don't really "claim" the Columbus theme...I just meant I would be going with that...

cat

Kumpel

Great topic! If I hadn't a ton of real life stuff to do, I would go for a Golden Twenties game... Inspired by "Midnight in Paris" and Picasso's famous café painting

I don't wanna spoil the fun but aren't Columbus and Roger Earl of March both set in medieval eras? ??? :=

Mandle

My take on it was more like: Not just a generic medieval-ish era like 90% of fantasy RPGs...

Part of the beauty of MAGS is that you can be extremely cavalier with how you interpret the theme:

Actually, I've just now decided that I'm going to switch to a tickling simulator game under the theme: "Neglected Hysterical Areas".... 8-)

Slasher

Blackudder and Baldick go in search of treasures still on-board sunken Spanish galleons in the West Indies with Sir Drake close behind (laugh)

If they fail to bring back a birthday present for Queen Elizabeth I it's head rolling at dawn..... So don't shave (laugh)

Radiant

cat

Quote from: Kumpel on Thu 02/06/2016 18:27:56
Great topic! If I hadn't a ton of real life stuff to do, I would go for a Golden Twenties game... Inspired by "Midnight in Paris" and Picasso's famous café painting
Please do so!

I don't wanna spoil the fun but aren't Columbus and Roger Earl of March both set in medieval eras? ??? :=
Since some historics consider the discovery of America as the beginning of modern history, I think this is a great era to pick.

Quote from: slasher on Fri 03/06/2016 10:14:44
Blackudder and Baldick go in search of treasures still on-board sunken Spanish galleons in the West Indies with Sir Drake close behind (laugh)
Sounds great!

Slasher

IF i do enter it will be:

Blackudder: To doubloon or not to doubloon....

Francis Drakes' exploits in the West Indies looting Spanish treasure from the sunken galleons for Elizabeth I.

Does Blackudder have a cunning plan that's cunning to enable him to grab some of the booty and be in Elizabeth I's favour?

QuoteBlackudder: "We must beat Drakes' boat to the West Indies and pinch some of the Spanish treasures."
Blackudder: "I will be extremely rich and the Queen will again favour me. Er, I mean us."
Blackudder: "Baldick. Get my boat ready. We sail for the West Indies tonite."
Blackudder: "We'll beat Drakes' mob."
Baldick: "We don't have a boat."
Blackudder: "Yes we do. It's that great big wooden thing that floats on water."
Baldick: "We did have a great big wooden thing that floats on water."
Baldick: "It's been repossessed."
Blackudder: "Repossessed?!"
Baldick: "On account that you have not kept up with your payments."
Blackudder: "As Noah said when he found a rather large hole in his ark: Well, that's just great!"
Blackudder: "Well, that leaves us with six pounds, three shillings and ten pence."
Blackudder: "Don't bother shaving, Baldrick."

Mandle

Sounds like Slasher and myself are headed into the same waters:

Columbus meeting Blackadder along the way could only end badly...

Slasher

QuoteSounds like Slasher and myself are headed into the same waters:
We both even have a map....Weird or what? (laugh)

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Argh! After hours of staring at and tweaking my code trying to figure out why it wasn't behaving as I expected I gave up for the time being and decided to work on the title screen instead...

About 5 minutes after closing AGS, while sitting on the toilet, the answer suddenly came to me even though I'd stopped thinking about it...

Isn't it always the way?!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk