Plugin list empty? (needing help to import video :) )

Started by KyriakosCH, Wed 01/06/2016 17:38:36

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

Hi... I tried to find how to do this using the manual, and then the search forum feature, yet it is not clear if my own AGS (dled it a couple of weeks ago) should have an empty plugin list or is not functioning correctly on my computer (?). I saved the video file as OGG/OGV first, then tried with Mpeg and the command line, but in the script my video file was just never recognized (not filled in). I had stored it in the compile folder, both of the editor and the game i am making...

Please help :D I am just now adding the intro, while continuing to create the game itself. :) I use Win XP.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Khris

You don't need any plugins to play video files, and you don't import them. And AGS doesn't fill-in the file name (because the file name is a string literal, not an object known to AGS). To play an ogv video, place it in your main game folder, then call
Code: ags
  PlayVideo("filename.ogv", eVideoSkipAnyKeyOrMouse, 1);

Manual page: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/manual/ags69.htm#PlayVideo

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Khris on Wed 01/06/2016 17:46:49
You don't need any plugins to play video files, and you don't import them. And AGS doesn't fill-in the file name (because the file name is a string literal, not an object known to AGS). To play an ogv video, place it in your main game folder, then call
Code: ags
  PlayVideo("filename.ogv", eVideoSkipAnyKeyOrMouse, 1);

Manual page: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/manual/ags69.htm#PlayVideo

Something else must be wrong, cause i had already tried that and was getting the message "unable to load theora video 'Intro.ogv'

My intro room script (text loads up fine)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 01/06/2016 20:43:25
Something else must be wrong, cause i had already tried that and was getting the message "unable to load theora video 'Intro.ogv'

Do you have Intro.ogv in your game project's folder? The file should placed in same directory where other project files are, such as Game.agf, scripts etc. Then it will get compiled into game executable.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 01/06/2016 21:16:58
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 01/06/2016 20:43:25

Do you have Intro.ogv in your game project's folder? The file should placed in same directory where other project files are, such as Game.agf, scripts etc. Then it will get compiled into game executable.

Thanks, although now i get the message "idirectdraw media stream: get format failed" :D

I wonder if this is an issue with my XP install, given i use a virtual drive for it (virtualbox). I run linux as the main, and AGS apparently doesn't work right on linux...

Khris

I tried it in my XP VM and the ogv played fine. My host is Win 7 though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk