Letterbox Colour

Started by stepsoversnails, Fri 03/06/2016 01:23:23

Previous topic - Next topic

stepsoversnails

Hi!
I was wondering if there was a way to change the colour of the letterbox.
I know it might seem like a trivial thing to change but it would really help me if it were possible!
thanks.

Crimson Wizard

By letterbox, you mean black letterbox mode borders? Or... text box gui control, or something else?

stepsoversnails

I'm talking about the black vertical borders that show up on the side when playing a game in fullscreen mode.
Sorry, i should have been clearer!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: stepsoversnails on Fri 03/06/2016 01:46:21
I'm talking about the black vertical borders that show up on the side when playing a game in fullscreen mode.

No, you cannot change their color in AGS.

Regarding my previous question, I was little surprised, because that's first time in my memory someone asked about that, so I wanted to make sure that we are talking about same thing.

Danvzare

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 03/06/2016 02:03:17
that's first time in my memory someone asked about that
Holy crap, an original question! I didn't think those were even possible! 8-0
And thinking about it, it would be an interesting (albeit an unusual) feature. Being able to change the border colours would be kind of like the old ZX Spectrum games, where sometimes the border might change colour (especially during the loading of the game).

Although since it isn't a feature, I reccomend that you fake it instead. Just create two large objects at the top and bottom of a room, and have them change colours or something.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 03/06/2016 12:09:31
Although since it isn't a feature, I reccomend that you fake it instead. Just create two large objects at the top and bottom of a room, and have them change colours or something.
You do realize that normal black borders will appear on screen regardless?

These black borders do not depend on what you do in your game, they depend on game/screen relation. On some computers you will have them and on some you won't.

Danvzare

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 03/06/2016 12:11:28
Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 03/06/2016 12:09:31
You do realize that normal black borders will appear on screen regardless?

These black borders do not depend on what you do in your game, they depend on game/screen relation. On some computers you will have them and on some you won't.
Yeah, I realize that. It would still work though. I'm fairly sure I've played some games which have real black borders and fake black borders. Usually the ones which try to me cinematic. So I think it could work. If you have fake coloured borders, I bet people won't even notice the real black borders.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is. I don't know why he wants coloured borders. But I'm fairly sure that whatever the reason is, it would look just as good if it was faked, even with real black borders that may or may not appear on the screen with it. Besides, most people don't notice black borders because of how common they are.

RickJ

As a side note, you could just make backgrounds with a wide aspect ratio.  Then you could either allow it to scroll or lock the viewport at the center position.  In the later case you have a solid color at theleft and right vertical bar areas.

Khris

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 03/06/2016 18:20:28If you have fake coloured borders, I bet people won't even notice the real black borders.
I HIGHLY doubt that.

This isn't an unreasonable request; it can't be that much trouble to change the color of the letterbox. It's just the engine's clear screen color, before the actual screen is painted, isn't it?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Khris on Sat 04/06/2016 12:27:44
it can't be that much trouble to change the color of the letterbox. It's just the engine's clear screen color, before the actual screen is painted, isn't it?
Yes, this is true.

I was actually wondering if the reason stepsoversnails asking about this is because black border color is too much contrast to some game. It's like they let user change the surrounding color on some photo hosting sites to make viewing comfortable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk