The Greatest Muhammad Ali

Started by Adeel, Wed 08/06/2016 16:24:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Adeel

It's almost one week and I'm surprised that no one has posted this already.

The greatest Muhammad Ali---as I'm sure almost all of you would have known by now---is no more. May the champion rest in peace.

He was quite phenomenal. He was one of those very rare sportsmen. He was loved by everyone around the world. Generations were crazy about him! He was a common household name. Add that to the fact that the name 'Muhammad Ali' is already a very common here, and you can be sure that his name can't be easily forgotten ever. I personally know at least three 'Muhammad Alis'.

My father, my uncles, my grandfather, and a lot of elders around me often talked about him. They would tell how they made sure to not to miss any single match of his (which were broadcasted live, btw---something not common in Pakistan in those days). Despite never being fortunate enough to get to watch him live, I grew up having a lot of respect for him. And when I later came to know about his stance on Vietnam war, my respect for him only deepened.

Since this is a forum for old(school) people, I'm sure many of you must have seen his matches.  Tell me how the greatest Muhammad Ali was in your country as a phenomenon?

Slasher

Hi,

Ali was a sportsman you loved even when trying to hate him... he was the first to brag and boast but the truth was he could deliver and he did. His charisma shone like the brightest star and he warmed many a heart.

I remember getting up at 3 or 4 am to listen to a live fight on the radio... it was very exciting the whole family sitting there cheering him on... Great times.

Even though he had an illness he never stopped amazing me with his inner peace.

Greatest sportsman ever.

Ali will be sadly missed.

RIP

slasher

Grok

An amazing fighter and human being.

Adeel

This image, in particular, broke my heart:

Danvzare

Why are all the celebrities dying this year! >:(

Babar

Truly a legend, in and out of the ring.

Been a long time coming, but still quite a sad thing. Probably my own personal experiences with people with Parkinsons, but I remember getting quite weepy when he lit the torch in 1996...
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Adeel

Thanks to the Internet, I was able to watch Muhammad Ali's funeral procession live in a country far away from the place where it was being held. So many people attended it. All the people showering the Hearse with the flowers, touching it as it went past them, running with it whilst chanting "Ali, Ali, Ali"...it was a feeling which can't be described in mere words.

The Muhammad Ali's Memorial Service was also quite wonderful. All the eulogies offered by everyone were very beautiful, particularly the ones offered by his wife and Billy Crystal.

To be loved and respected by so many people around the world is truly a symbol of greatness.

Mandle

I don't know that much about the man personally (both my parents hated boxing), but my mate had the honour of being Mr. Ali's personal driver during the Sydney Olympics...He has a photo of the two of them with arms around each others shoulders, leaning back against the car, and Ali throwing a faux punch with the other hand at my mate's head...

He always says that the dude was most interested in just talking with people and finding out about them rather than talking about himself. There was hardly a moment of silence between them when driving around together, and Ali instisted on a first-name-basis when chatting (no "Mr. Ali" as my mate had been instructed to call him by superiors)...

So, from those stories: truly a class act and the boast and bluster was all just part of the show that enthralled the whole world while it lasted...

(I just kinda wish, despite the legalities and creepiness factor, that my mate had taped their convs...What a listen that could have been now...)

Adeel

I get what you mean, Mandle. Despite showing off himself as a very proud man, Ali was quite a humble person. He didn't mind traveling to far off, poor and/or war torn places for the noble causes. I don't think he ever forgot his roots.

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 11/06/2016 10:02:53
He has a photo of the two of them with arms around each others shoulders, leaning back against the car, and Ali throwing a faux punch with the other hand at my mate's head...

Can you please ask your friend to share his photos with us all? I don't know about others, but I would really love to see that photo!

E: Oh btw, Muhammad Ali's friend John Ramsey also shared the story of Ali's humbleness in the Memorial Service. His eulogy was amazing.

Mandle

Quote from: Adeel on Sat 11/06/2016 16:46:24
Can you please ask your friend to share his photos with us all? I don't know about others, but I would really love to see that photo!

I haven't managed to get hold of the photo I mentioned but here's one I got from my mate's facebook page showing him driving the man himself into a MacDonald's drive-thru:

And here's my mate's quote from that post:

"Steve, I wanna cheeseburger. Cheeseburger! No ketchup! I wanna cheeseburger!"
Darling Harbour Maccas it was and the checkout chick didn't even look in the back window and will never know who she just served a cheeseburger to!

Adeel

Thanks for sharing this gem of a photo with us, Mandle. Muhammad Ali indeed looks quite comfortable (and in good spirits) with your mate. Too bad the lady missed the change of getting a glimpse of the legend.

Please take your time, but I request you to kindly share that particular photo of your mate with us (if he agrees, obviously). I'll be watching this space. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk