AGS Awards 2015 : Winners Announced

Started by Jack, Fri 10/06/2016 01:09:49

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

and some big special congratulations to Jimi for winning the best Jimi award! I voted for you! ;-D :-D

Gurok

Good news, Myinah and anyone else interested. I recorded the entire thing and uploaded it to YouTube.

The production quality isn't the best. FRAPS crashed once and there might be some brief background audio later on.

Enjoy!

[embed=640,360]http://youtu.be/V2abzsMvJxA[/embed]

And thank you so much, everyone, for the AMAZING award. Thank you, selmiak! I really wasn't expecting it. TBH, I wasn't very prepared at all when it came time to accept it because I never thought we'd win. I can now say I've made an *award-winning* game. That's so amazing!

Also, congrats everyone who got nominated or won. I threw out a big thank-you on Twitter. It was a wonderful evening and it went so smoothly that Jack should really be congratulated too.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Snarky

Congratulations to the winners and to all the nominees! And better luck next time to all those who should have been nominated but were overlooked.

Disheartened to see the gratuitous tits return (I mean, even from just an "is this the best we can come up with?" point of view), although at least that was only after the ceremony itself had more or less wound down.

cat

Congrats to the winners! And big thanks to everyone who voted for Cornelius Cat :)
Also congratulations to Mess Goblin for winning MAGGIES!
Sadly, my favourite games of the year (Jacqueline White and The Visitor) didn't win any award.

The client was amazingly stable, I didn't encounter any crashes or issues. Good job on that! Still, I was missing a few features from last year (scrollable chat log, different speech colors, showing character name on hover,...). As Snarky, I was also very disappointed by the tits in the end. It was just so pointless and tasteless...
I was also a bit sad that MAGGIES and Innovation/Lifetime achievement were not announced during the ceremony.

I'm looking forward to next year, with even more great games being made!

Dave Gilbert

Oh wow. I completely missed the fact that this was happening! Perils of Daddyhood.

Thank you all so much! :) And major kudos to Technocrat and everyone else involved in Technobabylon!

-Dave

Snarky

Some thoughts on the ceremony...

Good points:
-The fact that it finally did go off, and that the client actually worked without serious bugs (I had my doubts for a while!)
-The move to high resolution and Direct3D support was a good call, and made the text in particular easier on the eye
-The semi-transparent chat window is slick
-I liked that the pace was considerably quicker than in previous years, though that was partly because there were few acceptance speeches
-A couple of the new background music tracks were very nice
-I liked the subtle animation of the AGS logo screen

Not-so-good points:
-I question the wisdom of rewriting the client "from scratch". I saw no major additions or things that last year's version couldn't do, and a LOT of cool and useful features and bells-and-whistles that were missing (e.g. not being able to use IRC /me actions, not being able to control what way the character was facing, no way to see the name of each person, the program not updating to show which categories had been announced and who the winners were, lack of music cues and the more elaborate nominee presentation from last year, etc. etc.), so this was in many ways a step back. I also experienced a number of smaller bugs, including stray characters showing up in walls, and already logged-on people not all appearing when you join. I look forward to the release of the source code to see what was changed under the hood.
-Relatedly, of course all the delays and last-minute cancellations, as well as the short notification for the final date and time.
-The snafu with the host not having the winners for the Innovation and Lifetime Achievement awards or the MAGGIES.
-Some minor mistakes from inexperience, like pausing the ceremony in the hope that the winners of an award might drop by to accept it. (Last year at least, nominees were contacted especially in advance over PM or email to remind them of the ceremony, and if they didn't show then well, they didn't show.)

I would hope this has taught us that we shouldn't put off preparations for next year until the last minute, and that we need stability so the organizers and developers can work together and with the community.

LimpingFish

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 13/06/2016 17:45:19
Some thoughts on the ceremony...

Agree across the board.

I'm glad that the ceremony finally came together, and thanks to the people involved, but in the larger scheme of things this year's awards were a bit of a...well, a bit of a shit-show, to be honest. Almost five months late simply isn't acceptable when most of the hard work (preparing the nomination process, the voting process, tabulation, etc) is already done. We sat on the results all that time for the sake of a bit of fun that most of us could probably wouldn't miss if it we didn't have it.

Next years awards (and I'll be putting my hat in the ring to help out come the time) should be over and done with by the end of February (or early March) at the latest, with a working client to go into testing at least two weeks before awards night. If we can't get a working client by that time, or we simply can't find anyone to do it, then we should go straight to IRC.

On the other hand, if Jack would like to start working on the client about, oh, I'd say, right about now, to implement all the features Snarky pointed out that this years client lacked, we should be right on target. :P

And lose the tits.

Congratulations to all of this year's winners!

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

StillInThe90s

Congrats to all the winners & nominees and thanks to everyone who voted for camp 1!
Unfortunately I missed the ceremony so thanks to Technocrat for filling in for me!

kconan

Glad to see that a ceremony happened at all, and congrats to the winners!

Fitz

Sorry I wasn't there, looked like tons of fun! Congrats to all the winners!

But vengence victory shall be mine ours! Next year In some indefinite future!!! (laugh)

Adeel

So, who got the Lifetime Achievement award and the one concerning the innovation?

Dropped Monocle Games

Thank you to everyone that voted for Mess Goblins :D
Sorry I missed the show Congrats to all the winners

ThreeOhFour

Was sorry I missed this, but the final date meant it took place at a time during which I was in the US and also attending a wedding, so I couldn't make it along. Proud to see TB do so well, congrats to all the winners and nominees, and I hope to see a little bit more diversity in award winners next year! Thanks, everybody! :)

KodiakBehr

I missed the first hour, sadly, but was able to catch the second half of the awards.  Thank you for choosing Rogue State as 2015's award winners for Best Programming and Best Non-Adventure Game.  AGS changed my life by making game development accessible in the absence of a formal education in programming, and five years later, seeing Rogue State on the stage alongside such fantastic titles has been a humbling and proud experience.

paolo

> Some thoughts on the ceremony...

Snarky, are you in my head? That sums up exactly my thoughts.

Congratulations to all the winners and well done for the smooth running of the ceremony.

AGA

Good work, Jack.  Especially due to having to pick up the hosting last minute.

The one comment I would make is that traditionally the awards ceremony had +m (moderated) mode on most of the time, which allowed only those with +v (voice) mode to speak at any given time.  It makes things a lot less messy if you don't have dozens of people talking across each other, and especially not talking while the award winners are being announced.  Normally +m would be removed temporarily after the announcement of each award, to allow people to applaud for a minute or so before the next announcement.  Perhaps this doesn't look as messy in the visual client, but if you're trying to keep a text log (which I'll upload soon!) it looks quite chaotic...

Jack

Quote from: AGA on Tue 14/06/2016 07:42:44
The one comment I would make is that traditionally the awards ceremony had +m (moderated) mode on most of the time, which allowed only those with +v (voice) mode to speak at any given time.  It makes things a lot less messy if you don't have dozens of people talking across each other, and especially not talking while the award winners are being announced.  Normally +m would be removed temporarily after the announcement of each award, to allow people to applaud for a minute or so before the next announcement.  Perhaps this doesn't look as messy in the visual client, but if you're trying to keep a text log (which I'll upload soon!) it looks quite chaotic...

I purposely left it out (though I might use such modes for other things in future), and I quite liked the result. It may be chaotic, but I think this way is more fun.

Hmm... I could also set that mode during announcement and have the chat temporarily flow through the command channel, that way we can still carry on whooping it up in the client and the IRC users can get only the nominees.

If whoever is organising next year wants me to do the client again, I will indeed add the missing features from the old client, and there is a bunch of new ones I had in mind but didn't get around to.

NickyNyce

Congrats to all the winners and nominees. A very special thanks to everyone that made a game, and also to everyone that played, commented on games, and voted. There were some amazing games made this year. Thank you to all involved in the awards too.

Snarky

Quote from: Jack on Tue 14/06/2016 12:07:49
Hmm... I could also set that mode during announcement and have the chat temporarily flow through the command channel, that way we can still carry on whooping it up in the client and the IRC users can get only the nominees.

That's an interesting idea, I wonder why no one's ever thought of that before? Oh, right! That's exactly how it had worked since 2011, before you decided to rewrite it. :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk