Critique on a character - priest

Started by Dave Gilbert, Fri 11/04/2003 12:47:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

This is Father Raoul.  I like the way he looks, but I'm having a lot of trouble with that bloody priest's collar.  Can anybody help?

enlarged:

Eggie

I like him a lot. Is he some sort of exorcist?

Flippy_D

Priest's collar's are more like a square of white, not a vertical strip (I am just waiting for m0ds to pounce on that one). He looks like the kind of person that goes around stealing other people's girlfriends. How incongrous.

Rhubarb

Great Character!

Are you using him in a game?

Rincewind

Hehe, he looks like a quite nasty priest.
As if he had put acid in the communion cup, and being really proud of it, too... ;D  
The collar should probably be higher up, more on his throat.

Otherwise a great character. Looks great.

SSH

If you must quote Monty Python, Rincewind, at least get it right!

Rincewind

Edit:
Ok, just realized you were looking at my signature...  ;D Sorry, but I couldn't remember the lines correctly...

Scummbuddy

When his side view is being looked at, his hair comes down just right that makes it look like hes demonic and that that is his brow.... I'd probably move it or change it somehow... but whatever.  and if you mirror that sprite, it wouldnt make sense that his hair is only coming down on his left, but its shown on the right... (if you get what i mean)

DOTT fell into this trap.  Bernard has his pocket protector on his left part of his shirt, but the way they mirrored images its always shown, and thats a mistake, but no one really cares...
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Jimi

I think what Scummbuddy said is very relevant. (How come you changed your name from ScummyB???)

I like the sprites, but I also made the mistake of mirroring it, and it looks like he has two guns, rather than one!

OneThinkingGal and ._.

The collar should be higher IMO. :) Around the neck. And yeah, should be square.

Here's a pic (dont laugh :P) http://www.smt-inc.com/actone/products/costumes/grafx/full/cu-0034-full.jpg

Nice work on the char tho. :) Me likes.

Las Naranjas

Of course what Flippy says is right, but I know that working in pixels, trying to make it wider would result in a assymetric image or a huge white band.

Short of resizing it (which I wouldn't advise, since it looks ace in that res) I don't know what to do.

If you do move it up like annie suggests it may work, after all, he seems to be wearing on the collar bone like a necklace rather than around the jugular. That may be congruous with the swagger suggested by that devilish scar, but the higher position may still help.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Flippy_D

Two bits of crit:

On the side view his left foot his horribly deformed.
His hands are a different colour on the front view compared to the others.

Erwin_Br

Here's another priest picture that might be helpful:

Priests don't usually wear guns, but this one is an undercover cop. (Just so you know)

--Erwin

Dave Gilbert

Yeah, I agree with putting the white bit on the throat thing, but it still doesn't look "right."  What do you think?

AndersM

I like the 'strip' better than the 'dot' keep the strip and make the collar a little greyer just to the left and right of the strip. When the character is in his norman size (I suppose that the posted one is zoomed in) it will give an illusion of a bigger dot.

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Hmmm was thinking of something like this:

Rincewind

Hm - I think OTG has got it right there, although the back of his neck still seems too bare... Shouldn't the collar be higher up there too?
I'm not sure though, because I don't spy on priests from behind that often...  ;)

OneThinkingGal and ._.

You're right, it should be. I only messed around with the front view. :)

MrColossal

also in his side view he has no butt and i'd recommend making the outline colour a little darker so that it shows better agaist his skin
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

aussie

Priests have lots of buttons on their outfit. Maybe it's the jumper-type approach that doesn't look right to you.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Xadhoom

Looks good. Really like his expression. I think he need to be a bit wider around the hips in the profile shot, though.
.::XADHOOM::.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk