Gfx from "The Ceremony". Feedback much appreciated :)

Started by KyriakosCH, Mon 27/06/2016 23:41:04

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

A few of the graphics (the interface one is placeholder, ie those 'buttons' are just to tell me where to place stuff).

What do you think of these rooms/scenes? Anything about style, tone, or if they work for a psychological horror game...

(game info, time of release etc can be found in this thread: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53669.0 )
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Danvzare

To be honest, I like everything. Including the placeholder interface.
I actually thought the interface was final. Although with all of those artifacts on it, I can understand why it isn't.
I'd also recommend changing the speech font.
But you don't want me commenting on that stuff. It's the rooms and scenes that you want advice on. :-D

Personally, I like the art used for the rooms. It seems quite atmospheric to me. The bed in that final screenshot, looks a little bright in relation to the room. And I'm not fond of the black bars at the side of the rooms in most of the screenshots. I think those could be improved.
But as far as atmosphere goes. I think you've captured it pretty well.

KyriakosCH

Thanks! :D

Any advice for a good font? (and dl place, if you have one...)

Danvzare

Cassiebsg

Personaly, not being left handed, I would rather see the interface the other way... save, load...about on the left and the actions verb on the right.
But this is just me, thinking that it would be more comfortable to click on the right than on the left. (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

KyriakosCH

Left usually symbolizes evil/the unknown as well ;)

I am not left-handed either. The Interface is not done yet anyway :)

Danvzare

I rather like the actions being on the left side.
Then again I'm left-handed.

Cassiebsg

There's always the option "are you left handed or right handed?"
If left-hand draw Action GUI on Left and Menu GUI on RIGHT
Else the other way around... (laugh)

KyriakosCH

:D

Btw, sorry for my noobility ( ;) ), but how do i install some of those new fonts? (do i manually move the file somewhere?)

Mandle

Go to fonts menu on the right bar in AGS and right-click a font. Then choose "Replace font"...Then AGS will ask you some stuff about font size and such...

At least...that's what I believe happens...or maybe I dreamt it...

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 02/07/2016 14:16:43
Go to fonts menu on the right bar in AGS and right-click a font. Then choose "Replace font"...Then AGS will ask you some stuff about font size and such...

At least...that's what I believe happens...or maybe I dreamt it...

Nice!
Got it working now :)

I also created a few more screens and follow-up 'rooms' :)

KyriakosCH

Anyone got ideas for shaping a nice interface?... :)

Cassiebsg

Why are the screens so slim?
Also, I'm having trouble figuring out what that last screen is. :-[

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 03/07/2016 22:07:02

Slim? I am slim, but the scenes are rather compressed, if that is what you mean ;)

Re the final one, it doesn't matter, cause to get there you have to lie down. It is the bed :)

nihilyst

I guess he means the dimension of the rooms. For example, the corridor to the right of the coatrack looks like I would have to squeeze through. The bedroom looks rather cramped, too. I don't know how I would reach the drawers behind the bed. The lack of free space leads to a feeling of anxiety and constriction, I give you that, but the rooms still look unnaturally small to me. Could be a result of the Blender camera's focal length, though.

Danvzare

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sun 03/07/2016 22:10:27

Slim? I am slim, but the scenes are rather compressed, if that is what you mean ;)

Re the final one, it doesn't matter, cause to get there you have to lie down. It is the bed :)
Well there are huge black bars on the sides of most of the backgrounds, that make them a lot thinner than they actually have to be.
Also, the words slim, thin, and compressed, are somewhat synonyms.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 04/07/2016 11:02:58
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sun 03/07/2016 22:10:27

Well there are huge black bars on the sides of most of the backgrounds, that make them a lot thinner than they actually have to be.
Also, the words slim, thin, and compressed, are somewhat synonyms.

I see the irony was lost :D

Anyway, i am far from ecstatic about the backgrounds myself, yet i am not a graphical artist professionally... It would not be easy for me to create far better-looking gfx i'm afraid!
Moreover i think that even the ones i currently made are ok, and work with the game's nightmarish and labyrinthine tone.

Danvzare

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Mon 04/07/2016 13:04:19
I see the irony was lost :D

Anyway, i am far from ecstatic about the backgrounds myself, yet i am not a graphical artist professionally... It would not be easy for me to create far better-looking gfx i'm afraid!
Moreover i think that even the ones i currently made are ok, and work with the game's nightmarish and labyrinthine tone.
Well it was completely lost on me. (nod)

And as for the backgrounds. While they could be improved, I do think they're good enough as is, and pretty well done. :-D
Although this is the Critics' Lounge, so criticism should be expected.

Now as for the interface. Apart from cleaning it up a bit, (there appears to be jpeg artifacts on it,) it seems fine. At least to me.

KyriakosCH

Thanks! :D

I will have to alter the large black spaces by the end... ;)

Also a couple of rooms will likely just be sub-screen objects in other rooms (the door with the other character, and the bed, which will just have regular camera point of view).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk