MAGS July "Extinction" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Fri 01/07/2016 01:19:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

You can't beat a bit of MS Painting (laugh)

Nice one Mandle

Mandle

I plugged another hour or two into the game but I'm missing something in the logic-loop needed so I'm just gonna go to bed and think about it tomorrow...

GAME TITLE: Predators Prey For Plants

WHAM

Spent 11 hours coding today and my game is now feature complete. Only a few minor art assets need to be adde in, along with a bunch of non-critical description text for hotspots and items etc.
In THEORY the game should now be beatable, but I haven't yet done a start-to-end run of it, so I won't know until tomorrow.

Now sleep!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

WHAM

Shameless doublepost to declare that my game's final beta build has been sent out to testers today.
If no major issues are found I will do some further testing tomorrow and the game will be RELEASED on wednesday (13 days after project start)!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Mandle

My own project is dying fast as real-life pressure getting ready for a week-long summer camp with students next week increases, and my ability to figure out why my game is not working decreases...

We will see though: Wednesday will also probably be my make-or-break day...

Slasher

Hi Wham

Quoteand the game will be RELEASED on wednesday (13 days after project start)!
you trying to take my crown (laugh)

Give it the kiss of life Mandle

good luck mates

WHAM

I present to you: GNRBLEX!

Can YOU stop the extinction of Gnrblexian mind-maggot?

Click >> HERE << to download

Slasher

Downloaded GNRBLEX!

Just to say we're off to a great start (nod)

Mandle

IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIVE!!!

Well I got mine working finally after much keyboard-with-head-bashing...I will post some screenies later on.

Now for some tweaking and will probably release on Sunday.

Slasher

QuoteIT'S ALIIIIIIIIIVE!!!
Well, hopefully on Sunday (laugh)

Mandle

Well, I spent today smashing some bugs, improving speed performance quite a bit, but mostly testing for balance, until the game now does what I would expect it to do in various cases...

Tomorrow I will put a thin coat of polish on and release it! Yay!

EDIT:

The game is released, as you can see below and/or in the Completed Games thread.

I hope someone has some fun with it!

If you read through the text below you will see how it fits with the theme of Extinction...Or perhaps you'll experience extinction first-hand while playing the game itself.

Mandle

PREDATORS PREY FOR PLANTS

Extra Screenie:
Spoiler
[close]

G'day,

This game was created by Ross Kevin Moffat (AKA Mandle) for the July 2016 Monthly Adventure Game Studio (MAGS) contest.

The game is a simple simulation of the predators/prey/plants relationship.

At the moment there is no way to either "win" or "lose"...It's basically just a sandbox where you can explore the various interactions of wild animal and plant populations.

Observing the fluctuations of the different populations should give you some first-hand experience with the concepts of dwindling resources, boom-and-bust in plant and animal populations, and even extinction in extreme cases.

BROWN pixels are DIRT: All animals and plants CAN spread into DIRT areas.
BLUE pixels are WATER: All animals and plants CANNOT spread into WATER areas.
GREEN pixels are PLANTS: PREY need PLANTS to survive and spread. PREDATORS can also spread into PLANT areas.
YELLOW pixels are PREY: Herbivores...PREDATORS need PREY to survive and spread.
RED pixels are PREDATORS: Carnivores...Top of the food chain but will soon die without herbivores to prey on.

The panel controls are:

S or f5 to open the Save Map window.
L,R, or f7 to open the Load Map window.
Q,Ctrl-Q, or ESC to open the Quit Game (or continue) window.

The in-game controls are:

Left Mouse Click to draw on the map.
Right Mouse Click to change the draw cursor's colour.
Scroll Wheel Up/Down to change cursor size from 1-10 pixels.

The TITLE SCREEN at the start of the game is an actively running map. To change to a different map and start playing it you will need to either delete the TITLE SCREEN map bit by bit (yawn) or hit L or f7 to open the Load Map Screen where you will find a few sample maps as well as an ALL BROWN map, an ALL GREEN map, and an ALL BLUE map to start drawing on.

IMPORTANT: NEVER, EVER DELETE THE AGSSAVE.998 FROM THE SAVED MAPS FOLDER!!! THIS IS THE TITLE SCREEN AND IF YOU DELETE IT THE GAME WILL HAVE NO TITLE SCREEN ON START-UP AND MAY CRASH!!!

The game cannot be paused while running and you can draw on the screen at any time regardless of the scanning progression of the calculations.

You can pause the game if you need to step away from it for a moment by opening the save game, load game, or quit/confirm window, and then hitting the CANCEL or PLAY button when you are ready to continue.

If you leave the game running it will run forever. You can come back an hour, day, week, month, or year later and it will still be running your map.

As this game was made fast and rough in only a few sittings it is lacking many features that one would probably expect, such as population counters, graphs of growth and decline, etc etc. but even in this crude state I feel it could be useful in a classroom situation where cycles of boom-and-bust in nature, and/or extinction are being studied, or even just for your own personal study of such.

The game is 100% FREEWARE and was created on the also free ADVENTURE GAME STUDIO engine, which was created by Chris Jones.

I, Ross Kevin Moffat (AKA Mandle), give full permission to you to freely (but only for free) redistribute this game as you see fit.

I hope you have a fun, interesting, and/or learning experience.

Cheers!

Mandle

Egads! Triple posting!

I'm off to an island for a summer camp with students until next monday and I just wanted to wish best of luck to all who may still be working on their games, and hope to have a few more to play when I get back!

Seeyas all next week!

luisdementia

THE AWAKENING

A MAGS entry created by Luisdementia, Kastchey and Grok

Strapped to a medical tank in a seemingly abandoned facility with no recollection of what had happened, Subject #16 must find his way to escape this dreadful place and locate his Masters in order to survive.

Credits
Luisdementia -> Story, and original soundtrack.
Kastchey -> Art, and dialogue.
Grok -> Scripting, and sounds.

The original soundtrack is probably going to be uploaded to some internet site, so you guys can download it for free.

I hope you enjoy this game as much as I did creating it. This is my first game, and it's been an incredible experience. Have fun, and please, leave your thoughts and opinions about the game. :)

Cassiebsg

Congrats on the release! :D
Downloading it now!
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CaptainD

@Luisdementia and team - your game looks really interesting, downloading now!

luisdementia

Thanks so much guys. Hope you like it :)

Stupot

The competition has now ended and voting is underway. And it looks like a cracking selection.

Valhalla Extinction by Grok
GNRBLEX by WHAM
Predators Prey For Plants by Mandle
The Awakening by Luisdementia

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR VOTE
Send the title of your favourite game under the subject MAGS JULY

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating in the AGS database

Voting Ends: August 14th

(P.S. Let me know if I've missed anything.)

Mandle

YAY!!! Time to play some games!!!

By the way:
Spoiler

If anyone cannot get my game to run on their computer please send me a PM with some details of what happens when you try to run the game, and also what version of Windows you are running...It seems that it may crash under Windows 10, but I only know of one case so far so cannot confirm yet.

UPDATE: I have one confirmed case so far of my game running properly on Windows 10
[close]

I'm going to play through all the games and, after each game, update my opinion here so that the game is as fresh in my memory as possible:

I'm hiding my comments for now as they may contain spoilers or influence the voting public unfairly before they have played the games...

Valhalla Extinction:
Spoiler

A nice simple little arcade game that made my clicking finger very tired. It was entertaining for what it was, but the gameplay was a little too basic for my taste. I did like how the candles reappear if you can do well for a length of time. But I felt the gameplay was a little flawed by the fact that all you really have to do is wait until there is only one candle left and then just spamclick on it. I would advise the creator to make the game end when there are about 7 candles left, so that this cheap strategy is not possible. I also felt a bit let-down that your opponent is not visible on the screen . I can appreciate how hard that would have been to code, but still, it left me feeling that my competitive spirit might have been stronger if I could see the opponent I was fighting against. Also: I think the endgame timer for Freya is broken: mine said "32 minutes, -45 seconds". Overall: A nice effort for the tiny timespan in which the game was created.
[close]

GNRBLEX:
Spoiler

WHAT A GAME!!! This game feels more like it was developed over a year instead of a month!!! I just spent a very happy 2 hours playing this MAGS masterpiece and it is one of the most flawless MAGS games I have ever played. The game pulls you right into its universe without a massive exposition dump all at once (its staggered through the intro and tutorial stages perfectly)...And AND AAAAANNNNDDD: The puzzles!!! The puzzles are wonderful!!! I was SO happy to get stuck on puzzles in this game because I already knew via my experience of earlier puzzles in the game that it was not the game's fault that I was stuck, rather that I, myself, was missing some vital logical step. This is the exact case when I WANT to get stuck for a bit on puzzles, because my mouth starts watering for the AHAA!!! moment when I finally get it because it is going to be just that much more satisfying...Visuals and animation are amazing! There could be one or two more sound effects in certain places (the mag boots linking to the floor could be a nice solid zzzzz-CHUNK) but I understand MAGS time limits...I feel that anyone who plays this game could not contradict this statement: A work of art conjured into being by a master craftsman!!! Overall: Mind-blowing!!
[close]

Predators Prey For Plants:
I'm only including my own game here because I'm a bit worried that from the screenshots above people might think that my game is a joke entry, looking all MS-Painty as it does. It's not a joke entry. That title screen was actually created in-game and saved as a normal save file which the game calls at game start to double as the title screen. So yeah: The game is its own editor/map-creator. You can fluidly create and edit your sandbox playfield at any point in real-time while the simulation is running. A pretty neat feature I felt. Also, it is dead easy to save maps and trade them with other players, which supports my concept of the game being used as a teaching tool in science classes.
Spoiler

In lieu of my own review I will just copy/paste a (heart-stopping for me) comment from a dude who actually works in a professional game dev company (Wadjet Eye):

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Mon 25/07/2016 19:17:06
This is super cool! It's really interesting to create little biomes and then see them interact with each other. Lovely way to play with the concept, thanks a lot for this!

PS: Hooray for Australia! :D

Still soooo glowing from this warm-fuzzy comment!
[close]

The Awakening:
Spoiler

Hauntingly beautiful and very cinematic. I liked the unusual interface that combined inventory items on dialog choices. That was very cool. I had problems sometimes with other interfaces however and they need some polish to kill all the glitches. The story was quite good, although also something that has been done many times before. This is not always a bad thing I feel though as long as something new is brought to the table. I'm not 100% sure if it was in this case, but the cool touches like a main character sprite that changes appearance and even walkcycle to project his current situation and mood are impressive. The effect I loved the most however was the tracks appearing in the snow in the last cutscene. The visuals were amazing in all cases. The music was incredible (created by the author I believe). Overall: An amazing visual, audial, and cinematographical experience, but lacking just a tad in gameplay and user-friendly interface.
[close]

And so my vote must go to:

Spoiler
GNRBLEX by WHAM
[close]

Slasher

Well done guys.. I will play all games within the next week or so..

Best of luck (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk