Gfx style change for my game // what do you think?

Started by KyriakosCH, Sat 09/07/2016 18:22:55

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

UPDATE:
18/7
A somewhat darker approach, what do you think?

(older pics removed!)

[(obviously huge parts of the interface are either placeholder or utterly missing atm ;) )

Youtube intro video (with original music) is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CrrDkarGpI :D

Fellow poster in the forum, Chris -credited in the intro-, will be providing some more excellent piano pieces for the game...!
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

KyriakosCH

The following model of the Hagia Sophia (and other stuff) is one of my all-time better 3d works, so i will use it in the game in a sort of cameo ;)

(there it is a scale model out of wood or similar)...

Chicky

Hey KyriakosCH, Lovely work here. I checked out your Youtube link too, the piano adds a nice eerie atmosphere to your animation. I like how the light floods in at the end but wasn't too keen on the dips to black between the character's standing frames.

As for the graphics style, it gives me a vintage film feel, despite being 3D rendered :) If you keep up this standard for the whole game I think you'll be onto a winner!

KyriakosCH

Thank you!!! :D
I will go check your own work now.. (edit: The Man that only I can see, looks awesome...) 8-)

(outdated pics taken out)

KyriakosCH

(edit... :) )

KyriakosCH

A somewhat darker approach, what do you think?

Danvzare

KyriakosCH

^Might be your screen, i recall you claiming this before a couple of times -- screen tuning is an issue with darkish images ;)

That said, i got this view by one more person, and three others seem to not view it as too dark to see, so i will check again...

ThreeOhFour

It looks pretty dark to me also! I suggest at least making the text a brighter colour to make it a little easier to read.

Danvzare

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Mon 18/07/2016 19:08:59
^Might be your screen, i recall you claiming this before a couple of times -- screen tuning is an issue with darkish images ;)
Nope, definitely not my screen. It's probably yours.
My screen is so bright, that I have my brightness set to the lowest setting, and it's still too bright. I've actually had to put sunglasses on at night, just to stop the screen from straining my eyes. (laugh)
I also play Thief at a very low gamma setting, and usually have no trouble seeing anything.

I can see your image, and identify features. But damn is it hard to do so.
I would definitely not want to attempt to read an entire game's worth of text that dark.

Danvzare

Ooh, much better. More atmospheric in my opinion as well. :-D

Also, is that building in the lower right corner, that same model that you're really proud of, as it's one of your best works?

KyriakosCH

Monsieur OUXX

Your backgrounds are cool in their own style.

What I can point out is this : At the moment, your character doesn't have the right contrast and stands out (it looks gray on a black background).
Suggested solution: Create SEVERAL versions of your character (like, at least 5 versions), with different levels of darkness and contrast (quickly done in Photoshop/gimp/Paint.Net).
Then use the properly-lighted character in each room, to fit the ambient lighting.

Danvzare

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 20/07/2016 18:11:45
Your backgrounds are cool in their own style.

What I can point out is this : At the moment, your character doesn't have the right contrast and stands out (it looks gray on a black background).
Suggested solution: Create SEVERAL versions of your character (like, at least 5 versions), with different levels of darkness and contrast (quickly done in Photoshop/gimp/Paint.Net).
Then use the properly-lighted character in each room, to fit the ambient lighting.

You do know there's an easy way to adjust the light level of the character based on which walkable area they're one, right?

It probably wouldn't look as good as your suggestion, but it would be much easier.

KyriakosCH

Given lighting in this room - maybe some other too ;) - is part of the storyline, the view when you only use the small lamp can be as darkened (in fact it should) :

(removed outdated pic...)

But at some point in the game (i hope it is a demo chapter), you can use the hanging light instead, which obviously will make things far more visible :)

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 20/07/2016 18:28:46
You do know there's an easy way to adjust the light level of the character based on which walkable area they're one, right?
You're absolutely right. Until recently you couldn't make the character darker, only brighter. But now you can. That said, my suggestion was also aiming at creating versions with different lightings (from the right, from the left, fom behind...). also using the brightness featurre would degrade the contrast. But your suggestion is definitely the best quick solution.

KyriakosCH

^Yes, and i will experiment with that :D

Btw, better version of the -only lit by the lamp - version. (already made the lit by the chandelier one as well, but no, i won't show you) ;)

The following room (kitchen) isn't ready yet (lighting for starters produces a grain effect on the lower part of the room), but i wanted to show a different part of the game environment ;)

KyriakosCH

Yet more changes, nearing the completion of gfx stuff...

Just before the intro ends:

other part of the intro:

One of the cinematic--side scenes:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk