Gfx style change for my game // what do you think?

Started by KyriakosCH, Sat 09/07/2016 18:22:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Mandarb

The biggest problem I see is they are sooooo dark!

I did a quick demonstration on the "just before intro ends" image:

- punched up the brightness a lot
- centered the composition (unless you were going for a "something's out of whack" feeling in which case ignore this one)
- I didn't get the feeling this one was supposed to be dark and ominous so I brightened it a lot, but even 1/2 of what I did would make it read far better IMO

Also the bedroom w/ the chandelier:

- upped the brightness a lot as well

Now with this one I got the sense of a "midnight mood" type thing so if you wanted to stylize it a bit more you could do something like this:

I went a tad overboard on that one but it illustrates the point well enough I think :)

I did these very quickly but if you spend a little more time on the lighting I think the end results would be much improved!

KyriakosCH

^Nice... :)

I will have to rework the pics, likely with Gimp instead of relying on the original render for all..
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

KyriakosCH

I took a different direction. I didn't want to use some degree of pixelation, but i think it might be both more practical and a bit more atmospheric. Tell me what you think...

KyriakosCH

Trying a 800X600 render, tell me what you think... :)

In my view it is more workable.

Danvzare

I'm going to be honest with you.
I like it... I like it a lot! (nod)

It really shows off your artwork as well.

KyriakosCH

Thanks! :D

Do you like the ant as well?

It's not an ant-agonist, btw (i am so funny (roll) ) :)

Danvzare

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Tue 09/08/2016 10:57:59
Do you like the ant as well?
Ant? What ant?
Do you mean that spider-looking thing on the wall?
I hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it. It looks good as well. :-D

Gurok

Is this the ant (circled in blue)?

The cabinet on the right with a hole in it looks a bit odd, like the hole's not supposed to be there. Is it a front view of the left side of a buffet and hutch? I can't really tell what the gap is for.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

KyriakosCH

Yes, that is the ant. What else could it be, really? :-D

There are only three pieces of furniture, which may seem little but it is part of the plot; you are in a dream, and stuff there exist due to tied meaning and not as actual objects. The character (mental asylum patient) has a sort of quest in that red-wallpaper apartment. He morphs into the ant as well. :)

Gurok

So what sort of cabinet is that cabinet in the foreground of the right of the scene?
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

KyriakosCH

Usually one holds books or other small objects in that space of such a furniture. In the game there likely won't be anything, cause it is meant as a space which may (or may not) trigger something if you move your hand inside of it. A part of the story this chapter of the game is based on features the examination of whether the secondary objects in the main room do play any role at all, ie if by moving/re-arranging them something can happen. Think of a lucid dream where you try to learn the rules of the dream. It is pretty much the scope with those bits of furniture, while the focus is on the corridor (it has a small opening, but you don't fit inside with your human form, which is why the ant first comes into play).
Although the ant has other things to do as well. The 'dancing' is a main focus. And it isn't really a dance either ;)

Danvzare

KyriakosCH

Well, some spiders mimic ants, to make other beings believe they are some harmless ant, and then devour them (laugh)

KyriakosCH

A sketch of the main hall of the asylum (some stuff are going on there the first time you visit, eg those chairs will be filled and there is a speaker in the rightmost edge of the hall). See the isolated chair in the corridor? That is your favourite location ;) :)

selmiak

You know, you should show stuff like this in your indiegogo campaing. YOU want to make a mysterious horror game and don't want to spoil stuff, okay, but people are interested in WHAT they are funding and want to know more about the game ;)

Is this Kafka on the wall?  :-D

KyriakosCH

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 13/08/2016 13:02:24
You know, you should show stuff like this in your indiegogo campaing. YOU want to make a mysterious horror game and don't want to spoil stuff, okay, but people are interested in WHAT they are funding and want to know more about the game ;)

Is this Kafka on the wall?  :-D

Of course it is Kafka (nod)

KyriakosCH

Hm, testing, but what do you think of the lighting?

other version:

selmiak

all very weird, the light in your very first version was way better, more natural and actually coming from the lamps.

KyriakosCH

That is easy to re-do, thanks :)

Edit:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk