Niece's Birthday

Started by Gurok, Wed 15/06/2016 03:13:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurok

Hello,

I need some advice. I have a niece whose birthday is coming up (1st of October) and she likes these little things called Shopkins:

She's turning 11 and I've missed every birthday of hers so far (bad uncle, I know).

I thought I'd be a good uncle by getting her a 3DS and Pokémon Moon:

She likes collecting things. She doesn't have a 3DS. It was pretty much a no-brainer -- the perfect present!

This morning though, I discovered that the new Pokémon games won't be out till the 18th of November!

This leaves me in a bit of a predicament. The Pokémon games available before her birthday (1st of October) are the previous-generation titles, Pokémon X and Y. I don't want to get her a game that's three years old right on the cusp of a new one being released.

I'm thinking I might get her a 3DS + some other game instead, then Pokémon for Christmas. That works out rather well as it solves Christmas too.

I have no idea what to get her though. I'm hoping forum people who have a 3DS might be able to recommend a game.

So, what do you think?

Do you have any game recommendations?

Alternatively, should I just get her the crusty old Pokémon X or Y? Will she even care? I remember getting a Micro Vs. System for my birthday and being so sad that it wasn't a Gameboy, but it's not like she really knows about Pokémon at the moment.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

[delete}

Animal Crossing is quite cute.

Isabelle

Slasher

Hi Gurok,

at 11 children generally know what they think they want.

It's how you present a gift that is just as important as the gift itself.

Children at 11 have a basic understanding more so than we think they do.

If she likes Pokeman you can emphasis that there will be a brand new game out in november and that you have reserved a 'special' one for her.

Kids like this approach and are more likely to accept whatever it is you give them.

Maybe get her some Shopkins, as she likes them and explain about getting her some special pokeman games when they come out.

I think its about how you go about presenting a gift and not just the gift itself. Make it a magical event.

Either way i hope it all works out.

I am the dad to three boys (well, men now ;) ).

Getting an orange and a comic annual when i was a kid was something that excited me so much (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: Amelie on Wed 15/06/2016 05:37:12
Not familiar at all with Pokémon too.

In terms of older games, I have heard good things about the cute economic sim Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

I was about to recommend the same game but did not know the english name (it's "Doubutsu No Mori" here in Japan), and it's been a huge craze for years...

Yeah, it's basically a farming/job/friend-making/exploration sim for kids...and it looks so amazing when I see my students playing it that I wanted to play it too...

It definitely has enough gameplay value in it to keep your niece's thumbs happy from Oct to X'mas!

Danvzare

Pokemon X and Y aren't that old. And if she doesn't have those games, then it should be ok to get them. I can't see why someone would dismiss a game, just because it's a few years old.
But, considering you're planning to get her Pokemon Moon for Christmas (which is a great idea by the way), I think it's best if you didn't get Pokemon X or Y. Pokemon games are very similar to each other, which is generally ok, but not if you get two within the same year (she'll likely be torn about which to continue playing).

As for which 3DS games you should get her. Well, that depends on what type of games she likes.
Does she have any console games, PC games, or other handheld games? What are her favourites? Do those series have any games on the 3DS? What's her favourite genre? Does she prefer to blow things up, or does she prefer to play a peaceful and relaxing game?
You can't stereotype on these types of things. Because stereo-typically, boys should prefer violent games while girls should prefer peaceful games. But I've always preferred the more peaceful games when I was younger.

Yitcomics

My little sister has a 3DS and she absolutely love the Professor Layton series.

Other than that you can buy her a math book..... I kid,I kid (laugh)

Cassiebsg

Oh, and I thought you were going to ask about making her a game with those "Shopkins"... (roll)(roll)(laugh)

"My uncle made me this cool game with Shopkins!" ...  ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Retro Wolf

I've heard good things about this one, similar to Pokemon in some ways. Rather than walking into tall grass to get the monsters they can be hiding anywhere, or you have to help them somehow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo-kai_Watch

Gurok

Okay, I have a fair idea of where to go with this now. Some good games suggested:

• Animal Crossing might be good to tide her over till Pokémon
  • I like the look of Yo-Kai watch
  • The responsible thing to do would be to get a Prof. Layton game for her and give her a solid grounding in pseudo-adventure games :D

I might also just forget the DS idea all together and get her some alternate present. She likes Lego, so that might work. I want to get her something big though.

Don't know if I can just say "I'll get you something special in November". This is an attempt at making up for missing 10 years of birthdays, and it's as much about remembering the day for my sister as it is for my niece. I don't want to look absent minded (even though I am).

Also, it's not that she likes Pokémon specifically, but that she likes collecting things.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Cassiebsg

Lego is a nice idea, just make sure you ask your sister what theme or themes she likes best and what sets she has (and which ones she's wishing for) Maybe there's this set she really been wishing, but her parents think it's too expensive or can't afford it. In that case you could get that one and say something like "I know I missed your previous 10 birthdays, and I'm sorry about that, but that's because I was saving to get you this!" ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stupot

Yokai Watch is massive with the kids here. I've also considered sending my neices and nephews some Yokai Watch merch from Japan, but I'm not sure how popular it is back home (if at all).

Snarky

As a general point, the "I know you like X, so I got you Y which is kind of like X" logic does not work with children. Kids are all about specific brands that they have their hearts set on, and adults saying "this is just as good" is the most bitter kind of disappointment.

I mean sure, she'll probably appreciate a Nintendo 3DS, and maybe she'll get into Pokemon, but if she likes Shopkins, I'd say get her some Shopkins! (In fact, there may be specific Shopkins she wants. Ask for a wish list!)

[delete}

[deleted]

Mandle

Quote from: Amélie on Sat 18/06/2016 16:12:24
On the other hand, getting not what you want can be also a valuable lesson....  :=

But if you try sometimes well you just might find: You get what you need.

Yitcomics

Wisdom word right there snarky,maybe you could get one shopkins that she really wanted just as a side,and also give her the 3ds or lego or whatever.That way she would be happy and still get to try out the new thing. 8-)

P.S: Be the responsible uncle and give her Professor Layton (laugh)

AnasAbdin

Today's hot topic: what is she getting you(laugh)

Gurok

Nothing! Though my sister (her mum) sent me a birthday text message.

Thanks all for the good advice.

Snarky, Pokémon wasn't an ersatz Shopkins. More like, she's kind of outgrowing Shopkins.

Cassie and I talked on IRC about the Lego thing. I'm probably going to get her some Minecraft Lego for now (as I've discovered she loves both of those things) and then regroup and work out what to get her for Christmas. Maybe a DS, I don't know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk