laptop resolution problem

Started by Slasher, Tue 19/07/2016 18:40:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

Hi

does any ags later than 3.2.1 cater for resolutions as my laptop makes rooms look very small?

laptop res from  800 to 1366

running game d3d 640 x 480

also i can't run in preview mode..

any ideas?

cheers

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: slasher on Tue 19/07/2016 18:40:59
does any ags later than 3.2.1 cater for resolutions as my laptop makes rooms look very small?

AGS 3.3.2 - 3.3.5 have more options to run the game, and 3.4.0 has a universal solution for that.

BTW you can go into this forum section and read description for new versions to see what changes they had:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?board=28.0

Slasher

Hi

I downloaded ags 3.4

to get a full screen i set game resolution to 1280 x 800 and monitor display to 1280 X 768 and the game takes up much of the screen when running.. I want to know why it has to be set so high and how will it affect how others view the game.

i'm so use to the standard desktop squarish monitor.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: slasher on Thu 21/07/2016 06:39:53
to get a full screen i set game resolution to 1280 x 800 and monitor display to 1280 X 768 and the game takes up much of the screen when running.. I want to know why it has to be set so high and how will it affect how others view the game.

I am not certain I understand the question correctly, and I also fear there may be a misunderstanding. So I would like to explain something first.

There are two kinds of resolutions:

1) Native game resolution - to put this simply, it is the size of your rooms. This resolution is set up in the game project when you work with AGS Editor.

2) Display mode - this is the size your game is displayed on your screen. It can be larger than your game resolution (or smaller, but that is less usual). You - and players - setup display mode in game setup program when they are about to run the game.

When game is run, its native resolution is scaled up to match display mode using one of the graphic filters. This is like "zooming in".

So, you can keep your original game resolution (640 x 480 for example), but tell setup to run the game as large as possible on your screen.

Remember that only you can change native game resolution, because it is part of game design. But any player can change display mode.

Slasher

QuoteWhen game is run, its native resolution is scaled up to match display mode using one of the graphic filters. This is like "zooming in".
What about when the setup to use filters refuses to run and shows warning to use something another filter or change d3d/dd ?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: slasher on Thu 21/07/2016 13:13:26
QuoteWhen game is run, its native resolution is scaled up to match display mode using one of the graphic filters. This is like "zooming in".
What about when the setup to use filters refuses to run and shows warning to use something another filter or change d3d/dd ?
This happens when display mode is not supported on your system (or filter not supported for your game).
Which settings did you use and what error was displayed?

Depending on version of AGS you are using there may be more or less alternate settings that could work for you.

Slasher

Hi Crimson,

noticed the setup scaling: stretch to fit screen.

desktop res: 1280 x 768

game res:  640 x 480

filter: nearest neighbor

game now fills all the monitor screen (nod)

I can even preview game without error warnings...

Would this work with imports from say 3.2.1?

PS
I also notice that SetVoiceMode is obsolete..what is is replaced with?

i'm obviously going to need to do a bit of reading up on 3.4

cheers

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: slasher on Thu 21/07/2016 13:53:45
Would this work with imports from say 3.2.1?

If you mean a game imported from 3.2.1, then of course, there will be no difference after you load and save project in 3.4.0. (Just keep backup of your old project in case something goes wrong)

Also, I recommend using "stretch to fit screen (preserve aspect ratio)" setting if your game looks "deformed" on screen.

Slasher

Many thanks Crimson (nod)

you probably missed my PS:

from 3.2.1 to 3.4 setup does not show stretch to fit option.

How stable is 3.4 to begin building games with?

i'm obviously going to need to do a bit of reading up on 3.4

cheers

Slasher

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: slasher on Thu 21/07/2016 14:02:37
How stable is 3.4 to begin building game with?
I think it is pretty stable, people were making games with it all along. I plan to make final release in the beginning of August (unless someone finds a terrible bug, but so far it did not happen).

Quote from: slasher on Thu 21/07/2016 14:02:37

SetVoiceMode was obsoleted since 3.3.0 and replaced with Speech.VoiceMode.
I suggest reading "Upgrading to 3.3.0" and "Upgrading to 3.4.0" topics in the manual.

Also, in latest 3.4.0 (beta2) there is a switch that can easily get it back. This switch is called "Script compatibility level" (located in the "Backwards compatibility" section). If you set this switch to "3.2.1", you will be able to use all functions that were present in 3.2.1.

Slasher

hi

I've upgraded to 3.4.0.9 and all works perfect. I  have no resolution problems. It will take a while to get fully
used to it.

Job well done ;)

Happy days (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk