Last days for win 10

Started by Slasher, Mon 25/07/2016 09:17:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

Quote from: Danvzare on Tue 26/07/2016 10:12:36
Funnily enough though, I've used the ribbon GUI, and I'd argue that it's actually easier to use than the good old-fashioned GUI. Yet here I am, refusing to upgrade. (laugh)
I find it lacking in keyboard shortcuts.

Jack

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 26/07/2016 10:40:11
I find it lacking in keyboard shortcuts.

It's stuff like this, microsoft.

Quote from: Danvzare on Tue 26/07/2016 10:12:36
I think almost everyone agrees that the Win10 UI is better than the Win8 UI.

This is the one good thing I've heard said about it many times. I'm sure that whatever microsoft have been trying to do in terms of UI make sense for a touch interface, but a desktop is so far beyond that in terms of capability.

Come to think of it, the only time microsoft really shined is when they dared to step out of apple's shadow, by making an OS that was more capable/open than apple's. Whether this was by intention or by accident is unclear. The fact that they weren't trying to sell hardware as well led to the ubiquity that their whole business is founded on. They dwarfed apple. But then jobs revolutionised the drool-compatible interface, and the smell of their profits drove M$ insane.

I never switched from 7. The only major feature I really need from anything after 7 is queued copying in explorer. But luckily this can be done with TeraCopy.

Darth Mandarb

Sounds like some people have had some pretty bad experiences.

Shame.

Like I said [twice], I was never nagged by it nor did it download without permission (on any of my systems), based on how I setup my Windows. I can't speak to why some computers behaved differently but I suspect it's a settings issue.

As far as it being "disguised" as a security update... well that surely wasn't the case with any of my systems. Not to sound antagonistic (really, just curious) but do you not read what you're agreeing to when installing security updates or do you just click on them? Or if you have "auto update" on for security updates well... then we're back to square one!

As I said I'm not a fanboy of M$. I'm just anti-bandwagons and I think 99% of the complaining about M$ lately has been exactly that.

Just my opinion.

m0ds

Thanks for the reminder slasher! I bought this refurbished Win 8 pc about 2 months ago, and it very much wanted me to download Windows 10. It downloaded it once and I allowed it to go ahead but it failed to install, so I gave up trying after that. In the last month, the pop up box reminder hasn't shown up so I guess I found a way to finally stop it (it was popping up at least once every 2 days).

It's taken me a month or two to get used to the way Win 8 works compared to XP, haha... I am interested in Windows 10, and I do want it... but keeping an eye on comments here and elsewhere, well... I guess Radiant's point rings true, for me right now Windows 10 only pull factor is "its new" because I'm finding Win 8 to be ok (and also new). So that isn't really enough... That said, I think when I want Windows 10... I'll just buy a refurbished PC with windows 10 on it. A lot easier. It'll be time for a new pc at that point I'm sure! And "new pc" is IMO a better point to accept some software may not work rather than now whilst I'm halfway thru using it and making projects on an already new machine and OS etc.

And with only 1 day left til the deadline... yeah I guess this is my decision now. Stick with Win 8 for now, it's not like Win 10 won't be available everywhere in a couple years and by that point we'll probably all be being asked for upgrade to win 11 (roll) I think win 8 has the potential to remain supported for 1-3 more years? thats fine with me. I used an unsupported XP for 1-2 years without any issue other than the hardware of the machine itself was a bit pants.

Cassiebsg

LOL Mods, I had a friend still using Win98 when we all were already in WinXP (and some were already in Win7). (laugh) Think he only updated when MS stopped supporting and releasing updates for it.

@Darth, no, I clearly said I selected all the ones marked as "security update", so no auto-update here. I hate auto-update software, so I always make sure they are set to warm me when a new update is available, but no permission to download or install it self. I always de-select the ones I don't want. If you mean "do you read all the extra info about each update", then the answer is no, I don't. I read that little info MS puts in the side. That doesn't actually inform more than "a security issue has been identified...blah blah blah" That is ALWAYS the same for every security update (making that text virtually useless). I normally go with "this is a patch for a backhole or something like that" and install it. MS could have chosen to put there "This will install Windows 10 on your system... blah blah blah". And this is not the first time I need to find a security update and remove it, cause it broke my PC (like not letting me play a legal copy of a game on CD!) And since this seems to have become the practice of MS, then I'll rather not install any updates, unless I know I need it.

And in case you don't know, they did not released only one "security update" to nag and install Win10, they put at least 2, once the news was out which of the KB####### updates is was... they just made a new one, and ppl were again "arh" it's back!"! I know of at least 2, but not sure if there are more (since I stopped updating my win7 at that point).
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

m0ds

Hehe. As someone else said, if it ain't broke...

Just to add there were total sly tactics in getting Win 10 onto people's machines, no 2 ways about it, fact - it was even headline news. First time I ever saw the popup I clicked the X in normal fashion, and an hour later my computer restarted saying it had downloaded windows 10 and was ready to install. X normally means close (and IGNORE). My only option after that was to "re-schedule" for the max of 14 days I think it was before this popup came back, I don't think the X even existed at that point but I may be mistaken. Anyway, the article above shows, they used backhanded methods.

Cassiebsg

Well... I just used my "restore to previous system point" thingy... has saved me of a lot of jams and unwanted "self installed" crap. ;)
If something looks fishy I just restore the system.

NickyNyce

Oh yeah, I did forget to mention that I never actually wanted to download windows 10. I remembering getting a pop up of some sort asking me to download it and I believe I X'd out. Seconds later it started downloading. Everything works fine now after I had my security certificate fixed, but maybe that's why I was so mad. I never did choose to download it, and then the security certificate error. If I remember correctly, it had something to do with my Kaspersky anti-virus. ???

Darth Mandarb

It's surprising to me how many of you had these bad experiences.

It's odd how some of you can have such events when I experienced nothing close to any of that.

Why was evil Microsoft targeting you over me?

Did you curse them on some forums somewhere?

Did you anger the M$ Gods?

Cassiebsg

Maybe you promptly moved to win10 as soon as you got it offered? ;)

Darth Mandarb

See that's the thing; I didn't!

My Surface Pro 3 came with Windows 8 (which I just never took a shining to). I had it for a few months before the update to 10 became available. I upgraded as soon as I could (to ditch 8). After my Surface was updated I used Windows 10 for a long time before updating the rest of my boxes. Wanted to make sure it was enough of an improvement from 7 (which I'm still a big fan of). In that time each machine had the "notification" in the sys-tray but never once did anything popup (nag) or download the update secretly (I monitor all incoming/outgoing bandwidth so I'd have been alerted if something that large was DLing!). When I made the decision to upgrade I had to DL the files and proceed from there. It was fast, easy and painless for all my systems (the laptop, as I mentioned previously, took over an hour to do the upgrade but it wasn't a big deal).

It really is weird to me to read all these horror stories.

I just don't get why it happened to some, and not to me.

I might write it off as coincidence if I was only updating 1 computer but I have several so it seems I just got lucky.

Maybe I should buy a lotto ticket...

AnasAbdin

...aaand I'm still using windows 7 and avoiding one update that my animation software won't work when installed.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Tue 26/07/2016 19:52:09
...aaand I'm still using windows 7 and avoiding one update that my animation software won't work when installed.
I was using Windows XP for 10 years, I wonder if I will use Windows 7 for same amount of time :).

Gurok

I was a holdout on Windows XP till I got > 2GB of RAM in 2013. I switched to Windows 8, then upgraded to 8.1, then 10. I don't understand the affection everybody has for Windows 7 AT ALL. For me, 90% of how I judge a Windows operating system is based on the Windows Explorer experience and Explorer in Windows 7 was terrible. The status bar was broken, the folder pane lost sync with the main view and those extra panels were useless. I don't know whose bright idea it was to replace the IE coolbars with static toolbars and that clunky command bar. I am assuming it was because the old toolbars used unsafe code, but the new implementation was LAZY. Windows 10's Explorer isn't as good as Windows XP's, but it's a lot better than Windows 7's.

I think it's weird that we accept regressions in Microsoft operating systems. I can remember a time when Microsoft strongly avoided introducing regressions with each subsequent version. Windows XP was the turning point -- a few regressions, but mostly feature-complete when compared with prior versions. Certainly prior to XP, they seemed to have a better policy for managing this (even across 9x/NT). Nowadays, it's just accepted that they'll make a few design mistakes we'll have to live with.

Anyway, Windows 10 is mostly alright. The start menu is back, and hot corners and the charms are gone, which is great. I think the charms almost warrant an amendment to Fitts' law -- edges aren't infinite in size if you have to wiggle the mouse around to get the damned thing to work.

One thing I can't abide in Windows 10 is the jump list menus that appear when you right-click on a taskbar entry. Why are jump lists more important than the window management (restore, minimise, maximise) that's hidden behind a shift right-click? I use 7+ Taskbar Tweaker to circumvent this. It has a variety of other tweaks that can be applied to the taskbar too. It makes Windows 10 just that much more usable for me.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Gurok on Wed 27/07/2016 01:46:13For me, 90% of how I judge a Windows operating system is based on the Windows Explorer experience and Explorer in Windows 7 was terrible.
I almost never use native explorer in Windows since I started to use Total Commander and FAR years ago, except when searching for an image in a big folder. Personal habit maybe.
Also, since Vista, explorer annoyed me by switching view type by (incorrectly) judging on folder contents.
As for sticking to it, for me that's lazy conservatism, nothing else.

tzachs

Darth, I think that maybe, even though you didn't upgrade straight away, you upgraded before Microsoft decided to get aggressive (I know I did). If you remember the dates you installed Win10, you can compare with the headlines on the backwards X.

Anyway, I installed Win10 on a relatively new laptop and had no issues. I still have Win7 in my workplace, our IT refused to upgrade even though I asked. I honestly don't see any difference in day-to-day between the two versions, the UI feels the same for me (except I have Cortana on Win10). The reason I wanted to upgrade my office machine is to get the tasks debug window in visual studio, which doesn't work in Win7 and makes it really hard for me to debug my running tasks.
Another small reason to upgrade, at least when the anniversary update will be released, they'll be adding settings for developers which groups some useful items (like showing file extensions and show the full path in the explorer's title bar by default), so woo-hoo for that!
Here's some info on that: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Windows10DeveloperMode.aspx, hopefully they'll enhance this with more options in the future.

Cassiebsg

Now Gurok, you complaining about stuff I barely ever use... like CW I also use Total Commander for ages! In fact, if I have to use someone else's computer to fix something, I'll often install it (ie copy the files), since Windows Explorer sucks and always has! Besides I like software I can just run from a usb stick... (roll) Still, there are stuff that were much better in XP. The one that annoys me is the Start Menu, that insists in hiding my programs list and doesn't like me organizing it in th order I want them (I remember doing that easy before).

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: tzachs on Wed 27/07/2016 04:49:15
Darth, I think that maybe, even though you didn't upgrade straight away, you upgraded before Microsoft decided to get aggressive

I don't remember the exact dates but the laptop (the old one that took longer than the others) was about 3 weeks ago and the one in my bedroom was last week end.

Danvzare

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Tue 26/07/2016 16:46:45
I just don't get why it happened to some, and not to me.
Well just so you know, you're not alone. I've not once seen that nag screen. Ever!
I don't even have the Windows 10 logo in the corner of my screen. I don't think I even have the option to install Windows 10. And I've never taken any precautions against it.
But unlike you though, I've heard about these underhanded tactics.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 27/07/2016 17:58:29But unlike you though, I've heard about these underhanded tactics.

I had heard about them (just hadn't experienced them).

I figured it was just more of the bandwagon hopping (and I still think a LOT of it is) that is so popular these days.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk