Last days for win 10

Started by Slasher, Mon 25/07/2016 09:17:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

Hi

as the closing date to update free to windows 10 looms (27th) i am still in two minds.

I do not want to have things messed up.

Well, shall I or shall I not? Is it worth it? Has is helped or hindered you?

I'd like to know.

cheers

Cassiebsg

Oh, I hadn't realised that it was an hostage situation. 8-0 ... "upgrade now for free or else!" (roll)

Have no plans to upgrade at this time, free or not, I don' care.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

The message never popped up for me, or in the corner of my taskbar, or anything really.
Which is odd, but satisfying. It's nice not to have all the hassle that everyone else has apprently been having.
By the way, I'm using Windows 7. I still don't know why it never popped up.

As for whether or not you should upgrade, that all comes down to the age old question. Is it broke? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :-D

AGA

Windows 10 is great if you have a newer PC.  Don't try to run it on a machine more than a few years old, or you'll just end up with added slowness...

NickyNyce

I ended up with a problem when I did it. Our security certificate gave us a problem and my wife and I could not pay bills or purchase anything online. I had to call for assistance and have someone take over my computer to fix the issue. After an hour or two, it was fixed, but I wasn't happy. I'm not a fan of the changes. I'm not very computer savvy, so many of the changes I didn't like were cosmetic, or menu changes and stuff like that. I actually wish I never did it.

Darth Mandarb

I really cannot understand all the bitching that's going on (not in this thread, in the "wild") about Windows10.

I have some news, might be a hard pill to swallow but... if Windows downloaded without your permission or was nagging you to upgrade that's 'cause your settings allowed it.

It's not Microsoft being intrusive.

Set up your computer/permissions properly and there are none of these reported issues. Instead of whining, complaining, and accusing Microsoft of being "evil" how about you learn to use your computer? I know I know... it's never your fault. Always somebody else!!1!

On top of all that it's 100% FREE.

I am quite fond of Windows10.

I have upgraded 5 of 6 computers in my house (two laptops, two desktops and my Surface Pro3).

Not a single one of them downloaded without my permission.

Not a single one of them nagged me to upgrade (just a single notification to let me know the upgrade was available).

Not a single one tricked me into anything.

Quote from: AGA on Mon 25/07/2016 11:32:48Windows 10 is great if you have a newer PC.  Don't try to run it on a machine more than a few years old, or you'll just end up with added slowness...
I have a 6 year old laptop. Aside from taking a tad longer to install (took over an hour) it runs really good! I will admit though it's only used to power the HTPC in my family room so I haven't really put it through its paces to test.

The only other "problem" I had was when the upgrades were first available I wanted to update my Surface (was never a fan of Win8) and it took them over 3 days to make the update available! Quite the opposite of what everybody is bitching about!

My thoughts/prediction?

I think people just love to bitch about stuff and M$ has always been a favorite target. I'm FAR from a M$ fanboy but I think they are making great moves lately (the Surface line is amazing, blows anything [cr]Apple has out of the water), Windows10 is great, the Hololense (aside from having a ridiculous price tag for the developer's kit) is a game-changer that all others will be playing catch-up on. I think it's rather amazing they are giving Windows 10 away for free. I'm predicting that the very people bitching about the free Win10 upgrade will refuse to update and then, when it's no longer free, they'll start bitching about having to pay to upgrade.

I will giggle when it happens.

dbuske

Win 10 is the last upgrade before MS goes to a monthly fee to use MS operating systems.
I suggest looking for alternate Operating systems, or pay through the nose.
Can you say Linux.
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

Jack

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Mon 25/07/2016 13:04:14I'm FAR from a M$ fanboy but I think they are making great moves lately (the Surface line is amazing, blows anything [cr]Apple has out of the water), Windows10 is great, the Hololense (aside from having a ridiculous price tag for the developer's kit) is a game-changer that all others will be playing catch-up on.

In the last few years M$ have earned the evil image they were always accused of, and they have made some of the worst decisions in the company's history. Though everything I've heard about surface is indeed good, most people who know more than the surface details have had their opinions of microsoft changed for the worse.

France orders Microsoft to stop collecting excessive user data

Windows 10 adoption is slowing, despite Microsoft's best efforts

Microsoft's heavy-handed Windows 10 tactics may be its undoing

Danvzare

Quote from: dbuske on Mon 25/07/2016 13:32:28
Win 10 is the last upgrade before MS goes to a monthly fee to use MS operating systems.
Can you say Linux.
That's the first time I've heard that. Are you sure that's true? Surely you're missing something?
If you aren't, then why isn't the whole internet aflame over that? :-\

Of course if Microsoft did do that (which is possible considering it seems to be a standard business practice nowadays, what with Adobe having done that exact same thing), I would just move to Linux... or stick with Windows 7.

AGA

Subscriptions will be for corporate users only, not home.

Scavenger

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Mon 25/07/2016 13:04:14

I have some news, might be a hard pill to swallow but... if Windows downloaded without your permission or was nagging you to upgrade that's 'cause your settings allowed it.

I've had no end of problems with stopping the upgrade, to the point of having to set the registry myself three times in three different ways as Microsoft changed the settings to make windows 10 be downloaded. Which it did, taking up 4gb each time and redownloading itself every time. And it tried to upgrade in the middle of a stream.

I don't know what fantasy operating system you're using, but my experience was windows 10 kept changing the rules in order to be installed.

And if Microsoft were so generous and nice, they'd offer the free upgrade when the user is ready, not effectively in the beta period where nothing works and old software won't run.

Oh, and they wouldnt clutter up the ui with advertising.

Radiant

Quote from: slasher on Mon 25/07/2016 09:17:19Well, shall I or shall I not? Is it worth it? Has is helped or hindered you?

Well the main question is, are you in any way dissatisfied with your current operating system? Because if the only reason to switch is that "it's new", then you don't really have a reason to switch.

Speaking for myself, I'm still avoiding the ribbon GUI as much as possible, which means not upgrading my Word and Excel. And since the older Word and Excel I have already do everything I need, I have no reason to upgrade.

If you have concerns about security, the straightforward response is to update your security software, not your entire OS.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Scavenger on Mon 25/07/2016 16:27:04I've had no end of problems with stopping the upgrade, to the point of having to set the registry myself three times in three different ways as Microsoft changed the settings to make windows 10 be downloaded. Which it did, taking up 4gb each time and redownloading itself every time. And it tried to upgrade in the middle of a stream.

I don't know what fantasy operating system you're using, but my experience was windows 10 kept changing the rules in order to be installed.

Well like I said, I had zero issues/problems with it. It never nagged, downloaded, etc. anything until I told it to because of how I configured Windows.

Not sure what the difference would be with your machine, but I had no problems. Worked as it should.

Quote from: Scavenger on Mon 25/07/2016 16:27:04And if Microsoft were so generous and nice, they'd offer the free upgrade when the user is ready, not effectively in the beta period where nothing works and old software won't run.
Yeah, how dare they offer something for free?!!? :P

Quote from: Scavenger on Mon 25/07/2016 16:27:04Oh, and they wouldnt clutter up the ui with advertising.
Not sure about this... I have ZERO advertising and I find the new UI to be far superior to Win8's UI.

To each their own. If you don't like it, don't upgrade I guess!

Quote from: dbuske on Mon 25/07/2016 13:32:28Win 10 is the last upgrade before MS goes to a monthly fee to use MS operating systems.
Can you say Linux.

Like AGA stated, as far as I know, it's an option for corporations (not required). I actually think it's a decent idea (for corporations) and, depending on the new pricing model, could work out to be cheaper for companies than the current model. Time will tell!

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 25/07/2016 16:36:23Well the main question is, are you in any way dissatisfied with your current operating system? Because if the only reason to switch is that "it's new", then you don't really have a reason to switch.
This was the main reason I updated my Win8 machine (was never really happy with Win8). Once I started using 10 I updated all my other boxes with it. (Except one Win7 box which is a cracked version and I didn't want to risk updating it though I've been told it'll work just fine, there's no real need as I don't really use the box that much anyway).

nihilyst

I upgraded last year from Windows 7. It takes around 12 GB less disc space than 7, which I liked because of my small SSD on which it runs. The upgrade took about 3 hours total (including downloading), and then it just ran. And it still does. I've never had any problems with it, and I like the new GUI. I fucked up one time by accidentally installing some malware shit that I couldn't get rid of, and so I had to format my SSD and re-install Win 10 with a USB image, and it ran fine again. No problems with the authentication either.

Peder 🚀

I tried, at least twice, but it always failed so I just gave up.. I ended up clearing my Win drive clean anyway in the end so..

Radiant

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Mon 25/07/2016 17:52:18
This was the main reason I updated my Win8 machine (was never really happy with Win8).
This is precisely why I never migrated to Win8, and of course this makes me hesitant to migrate to any other windows version.

SinSin

I've never had any issues either. (wtf)
Currently working on a project!

Cassiebsg

Darth, you do now that the upgrade is disguised as "important security update", right? Instead of being in the optional downloads, with a clear tag "Get Win10" or something. The only nags I got was when I decided to update my work computer with only "security updates" and all of a sudden a screen was poping up on the corner telling me to upgrade to Win10, and closing it just made it return a little later. I then deleted that update, and again short after Windows sent a new "security update" that was just a new pop-up to "download win10" And before I knew it a "install" button was also present! 8-0 . 8-0 If that's not being pushing and intrusive I don't know what is. I do not run automatic upgrades on my computers, I selectively select those I want. But if I can't trust that "security upgrade" means security upgrade and not an installer for Win10... then... I stop installing them. :-\
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Radiant

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 25/07/2016 23:07:22
Darth, you do now that the upgrade is disguised as "important security update", right? Instead of being in the optional downloads, with a clear tag "Get Win10" or something. The only nags I got was when I decided to update my work computer with only "security updates" and all of a sudden a screen was poping up on the corner telling me to upgrade to Win10, and closing it just made it return a little later. I then deleted that update, and again short after Windows sent a new "security update" that was just a new pop-up to "download win10" And before I knew it a "install" button was also present! 8-0 . 8-0 If that's not being pushing and intrusive I don't know what is. I do not run automatic upgrades on my computers, I selectively select those I want. But if I can't trust that "security upgrade" means security upgrade and not an installer for Win10... then... I stop installing them. :-\

Oh, it's worse. On computers with a slightly different set up, it would hog up your internet connection for gigabytes as it would automatically download W10, then finally asking if you wanted to install it. Yes, even if you're on slow wifi or have a monthly bandwidth limit.

Danvzare

Quote from: Scavenger on Mon 25/07/2016 16:27:04
I've had no end of problems with stopping the upgrade, to the point of having to set the registry myself three times in three different ways as Microsoft changed the settings to make windows 10 be downloaded. Which it did, taking up 4gb each time and redownloading itself every time. And it tried to upgrade in the middle of a stream.
And here I am, with a computer that's never once had a single nag about it. And I know it's unusual, because I've had another computer that's been set up exactly the same as this one, that did get the nag. Although that computer is now dead (for completely unrelated reasons) but I'm still left baffled. Why wasn't this computer affected? Ah well, I'm not complaining, just curious.

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 25/07/2016 16:36:23
Speaking for myself, I'm still avoiding the ribbon GUI as much as possible, which means not upgrading my Word and Excel. And since the older Word and Excel I have already do everything I need, I have no reason to upgrade.
Heh, same here. I'm still using Microsoft Office 2003, and boy, the incompatibilities I've encountered. Still, it still works.
Funnily enough though, I've used the ribbon GUI, and I'd argue that it's actually easier to use than the good old-fashioned GUI. Yet here I am, refusing to upgrade. (laugh)

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Mon 25/07/2016 17:52:18
I find the new UI to be far superior to Win8's UI.
I think almost everyone agrees that the Win10 UI is better than the Win8 UI.
It's more of a question of whether the Win10 UI is better than the Win7 UI.
Just like how it was the question of whether the Win7 UI was better than the WinXP UI. The verdict on that one though, is that they're exactly the same, but you need to modify a few easy to find settings on Win7 to get it to the WinXP standard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk