The linux migration checklist

Started by Jack, Tue 26/07/2016 12:10:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

I've used windows all my computing life, and until recently, taking the wide road in that way led to more pros for me than cons. This is now changing. Theoretically we could go on using W7 and XP forever, but in reality it will at some point need to be replaced with something equal or better, which is not tied directly to the insanity of a few people with too much money.

The logical choice for this is Linux. In terms of openness, modifiability and security, Linux is as good as it gets. But server stability does not translate directly to desktop stability, and having most of the best and the brightest in the computing world using your OS does not translate directly to having a full suite of apps ready to replace something like windows.

So here are a few things which windows has spoiled me with and are currently impeding me from completely migrating to linux:

A singular coherent vision of OS design

While windows uses iterated releases where everything down to calculator is updated to the new design, Linux is assembled from many disparate applications and libraries that are changing all the time. Shuttleworth apparently recognised this and executed such a vision with Ubuntu, but unfortunately for desktop users it turned out to be the wrong vision, Ubuntu now being little more than another apple/android clone, lacking the abilities and customisation of windows. (Having said that I look forward to the day I can have true linux on my phone).

A rock-solid window manager

DWM showed its mettle in vista already but seems to be pretty perfected in W7. No matter how hard a game crashes, you can always CTRL-ALT-DEL and be returned to the windows desktop after terminating the offending app. This was not the case in XP and earlier, and it's not the case in Linux, where an application can still screw your desktop up enough that you need to reboot. WINE is one application that is pretty much guaranteed to do this on a regular basis.

A capable file manager

Pretty much every distro comes with nautilus or some variant thereof as their standard file manager. In this manager there is no way to see the expanded folder view for instance of a network drive and a local drive at the same time, as you can do with explorer. There is also no queued copying and no way to install queued copying, which again is the case in windows. Linux users will invariably suggest a replacement which has the two-pane interface of an FTP client. I will call that the old people interface.

The AGS editor

Requires no explanation. It's on my to-do list.

Also lacking and often sought is far greater driver support, and more apps to fill in the niches which has become windows' staple over the years. But this will only come with more users in my opinion. Certainly with apps like GIMP and Krita, they have the most critical bases covered.

My favourite windows replacement candidate at this point: Linux Mint.

As a user of windows, what is preventing you from fully switching to Linux?

jwalt

Quote from: Jack on Tue 26/07/2016 12:10:54

I still rely on a dial-up connection for most of what I do. I've never found a solution to the "WinModem" issue that worked for me.

CaesarCub

Paint Tool Sai
And some other specific painting software that would require me to have a Windows VM lying around on Linux, because Wine has no real support for Wacom tablets.

Danvzare

Quote from: Jack on Tue 26/07/2016 12:10:54
My computer still works. That is pretty much the only reason. It isn't broken, so I'm not going to fix it. But as soon as it breaks, then I'll be fixing it with Linux.
I've done a lot of research into Linux, and I can definitely see myself using it in the future.
But for now, Windows 7 is still supported, and my computer is running just fine.
Give it time though... give it time.

Also, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one looking towards Linux Mint. :D
Which version of Linux Mint are you interested in? I'm personally looking towards MATE, due to its high compatibility, especially with WINE.

Cassiebsg

Basically, laziness to learn a new system.
I know Linux has come a long way since it first started and thus has gotten more user friendly, yet am still way to lazy to change. If/when Win7 stops serving my purposes, I'll either look into a newer Windows version or Linux (assuming I can get my programs to run in Linux). For now, I'll conform to the "norm" and continue my trip of laziness... (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Jack

Quote from: Danvzare on Tue 26/07/2016 15:38:05
Which version of Linux Mint are you interested in? I'm personally looking towards MATE, due to its high compatibility, especially with WINE.

I have 16 installed on two machines. I really like the "mega" version which comes with a bunch of software and codecs, but nautilus always makes me feel like I have one hand tied behind my back. I have 17 too, not sure if I've used it before.

Before that I really liked Zorin, which was made to be more windows-like. I don't know whether it was when I upgraded to Zorin 7 from 6, or because I had tried Mint, but I quickly fell out of love with Zorin.

Oh yes, and if anyone wants to get to know Linux without being tied to it, messing about with Raspberry Pis is the best way. It certainly taught me a lot, just by doing things I needed done. I use a Pi2 as an always-on network storage device and torrent box. They're awesome.

Babar

I used linux primarily for years until I recently got a new laptop. The new laptop had higher and more complicated specs than my old system, and so surprisingly, while my old system ran all the games (that could run on it) fine, the new one, although it should theoretically be able to run more, cannot. I gave it one or two attempts to configure the graphics drivers and such, but they were unsuccessful, and I got frustrated, so I abandoned it.
Now it's still there as a dual boot, but I don't very often use it :(

Also, I use xubuntu, because I too got very annoyed with the way Gnome Unity was going. Xfce has worked great for me so far.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Crimson Wizard

I have to admit I feel half-blind (or whatever appropriate analogue is there) whenever using GUI frontends on Linux... things are more or less okay while I stay at terminal. Which is probably ironic, considering I am a Windows person.
I am not a big fan of fancy desktop graphics (that's why I have Aero disabled and "classic" theme set in Windows), but I have a weakness for good fonts, and many of the Linux fonts I've seen so far made me cringe and want to turn my face away (that may be font rendering though, not fonts themselves). Also, linux-y GUI in general... I even cannot always rationally explain it, but it feels so awkward and just really irritates me.

Other than that, I simply do not have the good reason to consider moving anywhere. I am very comfortable with Windows 7. I could probably make myself comfortable with Linux too if I applied proper effort. So far learning how to build programs and write basic scripts under linux was enough for me.

Babar

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 26/07/2016 19:45:10Also, linux-y GUI in general... I even cannot always rationally explain it, but it feels so awkward and just really irritates me.
It's the GUIs in most FOSS stuff in general. Most of the time it gets me writhed up in a frothing rage at how horrible it is: stuff like GIMP, Blender3D, LMMS and so on.

I usually just figure that it is because unlike windows or MacOS (who have specific experienced people paid to design the UI, regardless of how good they are at their job), most of the contributors to FOSS stuff are coders and such whose mentality is "Oooh, this is a cool feature, let me add this! Ooh, another cool feature, let me code this in" and so on, with little mind to how the UI would work, and rarely having a well-tested or established UI vision.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

qptain Nemo

I've switched to only using Linux, couldn't be happier about it, hadn't been enjoying using my computer like that before that for a long time. Certainly can recommend that path to others.

Danvzare

You know, I bet everyone would be using Linux if it came pre-installed on all computers and laptops, instead of the latest version of Windows.
I think that was the only reason Windows 8 even managed to get a foothold.

Does anyone here even know why all pre-built computers always have Windows on them?
Wouldn't it be cheaper for all companies involved (except Microsoft) to ship with Linux?
It's not like the consumer has ever had a choice to begin with, and I doubt it would impede on profits if every store did it.

Jack

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 27/07/2016 18:06:31
Does anyone here even know why all pre-built computers always have Windows on them?
Wouldn't it be cheaper for all companies involved (except Microsoft) to ship with Linux?
It's not like the consumer has ever had a choice to begin with, and I doubt it would impede on profits if every store did it.

AFAIK it's a multi-year deal that the OEMs sign with microsoft, and compared to the store price I am sure they get a much better deal.

Some manufacturers have shipped with linux, if I recall correctly. I think it's mostly a case of users expecting their new PC to be compatible with all the software they are used to on their old PC.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk