How to improve this interface?

Started by KyriakosCH, Mon 01/08/2016 12:58:08

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

It is a very simple approach (which i think is positive...). I likely will remove some of the options (walking--examine--use--think can be alternating with mouse click on the cursor instead). The other button is exiting to the save/load/quit menu.

You can also say what you think of the graphics arrangement. All text will be displayed on the window below, which blackens when there is text or dialogue.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Danvzare

It's really nice, but my first thought was that all of the icons were your inventory. Until I read the description and took a closer look.
Maybe you could better highlight the separate panels, to make it a bit more clearer where your action buttons and inventory separate.

I'm also not entirely sure what that first and fifth icon is supposed to be. The one that looks like a window and the one that looks like a woman.
If I had to take a guess, I suppose the window could be a main menu button. And considering your description, I think the woman is supposed to be the thinking icon. If I'm right, then maybe you should consider replacing the woman with a thought bubble.
As for the window though, if that is the main menu, I have no suggestions on how to improve it.

Other than all that though, it's really good.

KyriakosCH

I think i will keep just the magnifying lens in the inventory window, so that you can use it to examine other items there. The four actions can exist as different mouse pointers/triggered when you use that mouse pointer.
The 'think' action can be a bit better, i agree.

Also thinking of expanding the game environment to the full 640 x, and maybe expanding the icon window a bit as well. :)

(maybe change the texture for the walls too, given the alternating square pattern doesn't look that nice in this size of pic...

SinSin

This is coming along rather well Kyriakos ;-D

I'd maybe go with lightening up this UI, only slightly mind. Maybe use a dark green and not a black as the main colour for it, either that or at least have the Ui disappear when not used just to submerge the player into those dark rooms.
Currently working on a project!

KyriakosCH

Thank you both, although i changed the style again - hopefully to something better :/

It seems my own monitor is set in a more lit state, cause most people claim the images are darker than is workable.

-Do these look way too dark/ can you identify the forms/ is this looking natural re lighting?

SinSin

Yes, to me these seem really dark. I only see the lamps and a green strip at the base.
Currently working on a project!

KyriakosCH

That sounds terrible... Hm, here is the same with +10 lightness, +2 constrast added:

Better? Too lit?

Probably some setting between the two would work best.

selmiak

Isn't this supposed to be in the other, the style thread, rather than the interface thread. But yeah, render the background out in a lighter and brighter style and give it that darkness in an image manipulation software afterwards. Postproduction and stuff.

Cassiebsg

I think the trick is not to make the picture dark, but give the idea that it's dark. Remember that we can see fairly good in poorly lit rooms as our eyes will adjust to the low light in about 20 minutes. And unless you want the player to explore in the dark by moving his mouse and checking for hotspots, you should go for a decent amount of light.
I even thought that it could be fun, that if the player goes from a well lit room into a dark room, to start dark and gradually make the room lighter (to give the illusion of the eyes adjusting to the dark).

And I can't complain about the pictures being too dark any more, I changed monitor and in this one they look fine.

And like selmiak pointed out, you should have posted it on the other thread. I wanted to compare these new ones with the old ones. :-\
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

KyriakosCH

I took a different direction. I didn't want to use some degree of pixelation, but i think it might be both more practical and a bit more atmospheric. Tell me what you think (the interface location is visible, but you can just use the other thread if you prefer...)

In my view it is a lot more pleasant now...

Danvzare

Personally, I preferred it before. Now it just looks blurry.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 04/08/2016 11:23:42
Personally, I preferred it before. Now it just looks blurry.

No problem. Just send me 500 euros to fix :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk