Common Sense

Started by Baron, Fri 05/08/2016 17:23:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

Fact: People have dirty mouths.  Not just talking smack, but bacteria wise.

Fact: Dogs have cleaner mouths than people, somewhat counter intuitively since they eat poop and garbage they find lying around.

Common Sense: People who kiss their dogs on the mouth have cleaner mouths than average.

Who else has had an aha moment like this?

Darth Mandarb

There's this societal expectation that a person must wash their hands after using the bathroom.

I wash my hands before (and after) using the bathroom.

The keyboard I'm touching all day is a disgusting cesspool of dirt, oils, dead skin, hair and bacteria (DISCLAIMER: I clean ALL my keyboards weekly).

Your hands are most likely dirtier before you use the bathroom than they are after as you transferred some of the filth to your willy in the process.

Common Sense? Wash up before and after hittin' the head!

Jack

I see how often my dog kisses his hotdog, so no.

Being totally bacteria free is not good either, but I draw the line at dog juice.

Mandle

Fact: People have been wandering the streets and driving on them while staring at their phones ever since smart phones came out.

Fact: Pokemon GO makes you look around at your real-world environment as part of the gameplay.

Common Sense: Pokemon GO has raised the level of safety of people using their phones in public, not lowered it. (It's just that people walking out in front of traffic while playing Candy Crush is not news-worthy anymore.)

(Disclaimer: I do not play Pokemon GO. Actually I don't even have a smart phone.)

Baron

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Fri 05/08/2016 18:36:41
Your hands are most likely dirtier before you use the bathroom than they are after as you transferred some of the filth to your willy in the process.

OMG I've been smearing filth on my willy six times a day all my life! :shocked:

Danvzare

Fact: People write text messages.
Fact: People write in forums.
Fact: People write emails.
Fact: People only started doing these things since the 90's, back when they were first invented.
Fact: The more you do something, the better you get at doing it.

Common Sense: People write more nowadays than they ever did before, and therefore everyone is a better writer than anyone ever was before the 90's.

Cassiebsg

I think your reasoning is flawed there...

fact: People wrote letters before text messages, forums, emails, before computers.
fact: Letters do not have spell-check.
fact: Emotions and "internet" abbreviations were not used in letters.

Common Sense: People could actually write a letter without the need for their software to correct their spelling, thus everyone that wrote letters were a better writer than modern day man.

Prediction: People will forget how to spell and write in the future, because computers and smart gadgets will do that for them.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 06/08/2016 09:36:09
Common Sense: People could actually write a letter without the need for their software to correct their spelling, thus everyone that wrote letters were a better writer than modern day man.

+1 to this!

Cassie wins hands down!

I never turn on my spell checker when writing anything as I want to rely on my brain...And when in doubt I go to google...And having to do that extra bit of work makes me want to learn the correct spelling so I won't have to do it again...

(Still kinda lazy though as people had to actually crack a dictionary before, but I think going to google is the modern equiv...erm...hang on a moment while I open a tab...ah...there it is: equivalent...vowels are a bitch for me...)

Stupot

Fact: Aussies are into rearing sheep
Fact: The lord is my shepherd.
Common sense: my rear hurts and I'm still praying. Baa.

Snarky

Real talk: Better speller ≠ better writer

Mandle

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 06/08/2016 13:36:35
Real talk: Better speller ≠ better writer

Very true: I hear that Mark Twain was always in trouble from his editor for his horrible spelling which was why he proved to him that "GHOTI" spells "FISH" according to the spelling rules of the English language...

Cassiebsg

Yes, I meant write as in writing properly, not as a good writer. Too different things. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

fact: People wrote letters before text messages, forums, emails, before computers.
They wrote what? Two letters a month?
People write a whole lot more nowadays. And let's not forget all of the awful fanfiction people write now as well.

As for spelling, yeah, no one can spell these days. I'd like to argue with that, but considering no one seems to know the obvious difference between "your" and "you're", two words which are even pronounced differently. Well, in short, your prediction about people not being able to spell in the future is probably right.

Snarky

Quote from: Danvzare on Sun 07/08/2016 11:25:40
They wrote what? Two letters a month?

It varied greatly, of course, but I don't think it was at all uncommon among the well-educated and well-off to write several letters a day, and spend a couple of hours in letter-writing and reading. They used to have multiple mail deliveries each day, and if you sent a (local) letter in the morning you might receive a reply that afternoon.

People write a whole lot more nowadays.

Probably not. Rather, a lot more people write frequently nowadays.

As for spelling, yeah, no one can spell these days. I'd like to argue with that, but considering no one seems to know the obvious difference between "your" and "you're", two words which are even pronounced differently. Well, in short, your prediction about people not being able to spell in the future is probably right.

People have always confused "your" and "you're". It's nothing new. Whether or not there's any difference in pronunciation at all depends on your dialect and the context: for many (most?) people there is not. These vowels are very unstable in English, and vary significantly across dialects and generations (I think in this case mainly affected by the lot-cloth split and the cot-caught merger).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk