AGS Videos do not play

Started by Slasher, Sat 13/08/2016 08:57:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

Hi

for some reason ags embeded videos do not play and just show a black screen. This has recently began to happen.

You tube videos play ok.

I have Flash player version 22,0,0,209 installed with Chrome.

Any ideas?

cheers

AnasAbdin

I noticed this yesterday as well. I even opened IE to see if it's only a chrome issue since the videos worked fine on my android phone. I OPENED IE! :~(

Slasher

....And on Firefox...

I am not alone then?

cheers

Khris

It still works for me on Firefox (and correctly uses the HTML player) while Chrome seems to use the flash player, which is stuck on a black screen. IE also uses the flash player.

Slasher

Apparently

Chrome starts retiring Flash in favor of HTML5

Cassiebsg

My old version (no longer supported by youtube) is also showing me a black embed video, worse is following the "watch on youtube" clears the link and directs me to the main page instead of the video. :-\ Maybe I need to finally upgrade my firefox. :~( I really hate the new one.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Jack

Yes, the new firefox "toddler/tablet" layout sucks ass through a straw.

I keep hoping some day someone who actually knows how version numbers work will fork it an restore the original vision of firefox. Some of us still retain our opposable thumbs.

All thanks to blindly following the broken robots at google.

Cassiebsg

uhm? Who's talking about mobile version? ???

Problem

The videos still work for me on Firefox.

@Cassie: Completely off-topic, but I'm quite happy with this addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

Khris

Still off-topic, but what exactly is wrong with Firefox (48.0)? I have my standard menu in the upper left, below that my tabs and address bar. In the top right are the search bar and a few buttons I occasionally use, and that's it. How is this significantly different from earlier versions?

Snarky

I'm pretty sure this is on the wrong board, but I'm not sure where to move it.

What are you actually talking about? Videos embedded in posts on the AGS forums? But YouTube videos work? So what's an example of one that doesn't?

Quote from: Khris on Sat 13/08/2016 13:02:35
Still off-topic, but what exactly is wrong with Firefox (48.0)? I have my standard menu in the upper left, below that my tabs and address bar. In the top right are the search bar and a few buttons I occasionally use, and that's it. How is this significantly different from earlier versions?

Personally my big complaint is that they took away the option to run unsigned add-ons. There's an old key-control remapper that I've been using to make the controls more like classic Opera for almost ten years, and now it won't work. I'll have to switch to a fork.

Ponch

Cassiebsg

For me it's the buttons. For ages I couldn't even find the stop/refresh button... until my husband mentioned it was at the end of the url line. 8-0
I like that addon Problem posted though. (nod)

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 13/08/2016 14:17:50
What are you actually talking about? Videos embedded in posts on the AGS forums? But YouTube videos work? So what's an example of one that doesn't?

Well... the one you posted on the conspiracy thread for one. First time I saw a black embeded video, and then slasher posted this thread...

Snarky

But Slasher said YouTube videos play OK, and that is a YouTube video... ???

On this computer (MacBook Pro) it plays fine in Firefox, but in Chrome it shows a black box with a cut-off snippet of "YouTube" in the corner. It looks like the video player hasn't been scaled properly to the embed-region, so that the controls fall outside of the rendered region.

AGA

Can people please provide me with links to problem posts?

Cassiebsg

This is the only place I've notice this problem: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53210.msg636541131#msg636541131

And Snarky, if I go to youtube  and play a video they play fine too (there)... though to see yours I had to hit "quote" and then grab the link and copy/paste it to get to the page with the video.

Slasher

All the posts with videos

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=50444.0

there is obviously a problem somewhere..

Cassiebsg

Yup, right, that one also shows black. :~(

AGA

It seems embed only works for Flash videos (in pesky Chrome at least).  If you use the html tag, and include the full embed code given by YouTube (including the iframe code) it will work: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53210.msg636541131#msg636541131.  AnasAbdin's post will have to wait, it's broken for a whole other reason as well.

Slasher

Thanks for letting us know AGA

cheers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk