Adventure Game Studio: "Resolution not supported"

Started by Dualnames, Sun 21/08/2016 18:55:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

Having a problem with a person trying to play the game

http://steamcommunity.com/app/439310/discussions/0/361798516953837919/?tscn=1471801429

UNTIL I Have You is on AGS 3.3.5
Any suggestions?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

The best way to see what's going on it is to enable logging and check gfx initialization in logs.
To enable logging, either
1) put "log=1" under "[misc]" section in acsetup.cfg, or
2) run the game from command line with "--log" argument.

The log will be written to the C:/Users/<username>/Saved Games/.ags/ags.log

Interesting part starts with ""Initializing screen settings" message.

PS. I have a Steam account, but steam sais that my profile is not configured or something; when I solve that I could probably participate in this discussion directly?

E: I would also like to point out that your advice setting x4 filter may be wrong in that situation. Your game's height is 200, x4 is 800, and user's desktop is 1360x768, which means it probably won't work in fullscreen and certainly won't in windowed mode.

Dualnames

yeah, my bad, i just realized that after i suggested, but still 3x should work.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

Well, if it is one of the latest 3.3.* versions it should automatically try switching to ANY scaling available if the requested one failed. There were some exceptions in the past, but I thought they were all fixed now.

Unlike 3.4.0, 3.3.* still have restrictions in that it cannot use just any display mode or scaling, but it usually should find a mode it can run in.

Dualnames

Not sure if u saw but i gave him a different ags game to test and it sported the same issue, i also uploaded a different test game made with AGS 3.4 to see if the issue persists in the latest.

Crimson Wizard

James, I honestly do not know why adding log=1 worked for this player, because there is no obvious connection.
I think there was something else that caused the error or fixed the error; but I decided not to ask him try other things, because I do not want to make your players test the engine :).

Also, regarding save location, is the saved games path same on Win 10? I found the proper way to access your "Saved Games" folder is "%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games" - that should work in explorer on any Windows version starting from Vista.

Dualnames

He's running on intelhd and another graphic card, perhaps by restarting his pc, he got the actual graphic card to work, it happened to me once.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk