BANANA RACER [MAGS]

Started by arj0n, Thu 25/08/2016 20:54:13

Previous topic - Next topic

arj0n

BANANA RACER v1.5
A MAGS entry by arj0n

About This Game:
In this little retro arcade game you play as 3 monkeys, racing a banana boat against no one.
Try to avoid passing boats and rafts and catch bananas to increase health.
Try not to let the life-counter decrease to zero, or the monkeys will die a gruesome death!

Controls:
Arrow-keys for movement, ESC for in-game menu (this is a keyboard-only game)

CREDITS:
arj0n: Author
Adeel: Tester
Tabata: Tester

Version History:
v1.5: fixed a crash and added a basic score system.
v1.4: fixed collision detection was broken.
v1.3: fixed collision that was detecting by the visible sprites in stead of by the non-visible specific marker sprites.
v1.2: fixed some GUI-labels that where trying to use a non-existing font and correct some object id's used for collision detection.
v1.1: cleaned up some stuff like unused views, unused fonts, etc.

Hobo

The game crashes at start for me. Might just be my laptop, but might also be something to look into. I'll test it later on my desktop.

Here's the error:
Spoiler
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/ItKu87J.png[/imgzoom]
[close]

arj0n

Thank you for reporting this, Hobo.

Quote from: Hobo on Sat 27/08/2016 13:15:05
The game crashes at start for me. Might just be my laptop, but might also be something to look into..

Nope, it was not your laptop causing this. ;)
For v1.1 I cleaned up some unused stuff, including some fonts.
After that, some GUI-labels where trying using a non-existing font and some object id's used for collision detection were set wrong...

*slaps forehead*

Fixed, v1.2 is up now.

Cassiebsg

Winsetup throws also an error:
---------------------------
Error
Error: unable to launch 'BananaRacer (AGS v3.3.4).exe'. Make sure that the file is in the same directory as this Setup program.
OK   

EDIT:

And running the game is crashing:
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x004D5015 ; program pointer is +379, ACI version 3.3.4.2, gtags (3,0)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.

in "room2.asc", line 31

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.

An error file CrashInfo.dmp has been created. You may be asked to upload this file when reporting this problem on the AGS Forums. (code 0)
OK   
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

arj0n

Thanx for reporting, Cassiebsg.

Yes, my bad, I changed the game dir name.
*slaps forehead. again*

Fixed, v1.2 is re-upped now.

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 27/08/2016 15:17:42
And running the game is crashing:
That was v1.1. That crash shouldn't occur anymore in v1.2...

Cassiebsg

Thanks seems to be working now. (nod)

Will need to try it later, as there's no sound control to down level the music.

arj0n

Thanx.

Yes, for now you only can mute/unmuted the music (hit 'm' key)

Mandle

Loving the animations and retro feel of the game...

Not so much loving the gameplay mechanics: I cannot play for more than about 20 seconds no matter how hard I try...

I understand the three-level-zones, but I can't manage to track the zones that I'm not supposed to go into because all the sprites are so hugely long...

I love the banana drops from the gyrocopter, but I can almost never manage to get one because I hit a boat...

Awesome game, very fun, but needs a little more balance to be an actual playable experience I think...

EDIT:

And, just to say it before anyone else does:

"Look behind you: A three-monkeyed boat!!!"

arj0n

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 27/08/2016 16:20:55
Awesome game, very fun, but needs a little more balance to be an actual playable experience I think...
Thank you, Mandle.
And yes your right, the mechanics need some intensive fine-tuning
The problem was I choose to go for quick decisions made because of a deadline.
After all I had time enough to do a better game, but I didn't wanna take the risk
not to be able to finish the game 'properly' within time on forehand by keeping
improving it taking the risk of creating time-consuming bugs...
And somehow that always happen to me.
So toke the safe way. Apologies for the that.

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 27/08/2016 16:20:55
And, just to say it before anyone else does:
"Look behind you: A three-monkeyed boat!!!"
I was so waiting for who was going to say that line... ;)

Jack

The graphics look great and the controls are quick.

The biggest problem with the mechanics is the collision, which seem to come from the sprites. Using collision from bars at the waterline as wide as the ships' lengths, and as high as their beams, corrected for perspective, should be relatively simple and make a great improvement.

EDIT: Any chance of Johnny Castaway making a cameo?

arj0n

Quote from: Jack on Sun 28/08/2016 11:08:21
The biggest problem with the mechanics is the collision, which seem to come from the sprites.
The collision of each object (boats/raft) actually comes from a 'marker' sprite, which is a hidden sprite that sticks at the base of the visiual sprite and is less high as the visual sprite.

EDIT:
I looked into this and it turned out the collision was detecting the sprites, not the marker sprites. aaaaarrggg.
Another stupid mistake.

FIXED, v1.3 is up.

Quote from: Jack on Sun 28/08/2016 11:08:21
EDIT: Any chance of Johnny Castaway making a cameo?
Nope, he's busy dating the mermaid... ;)

Matti

First I was going to comment that it's now a much nicer experience, but too easy. Then I realized that now you don't get hit by boats at all :-D

Cassiebsg

Guess I'll wait for 1.4 then. :)

arj0n

Quote from: Matti on Sun 28/08/2016 13:41:18
Then I realized that now you don't get hit by boats at all :-D
Yeh, it's a bit too easy having no challenge at all ;)

Collision was completely broken. Fixed.

v1.4 is up.

ThreeOhFour

This is fun, responsive to control and cute to play! I wonder how hard it'd be to add goals/an endgame mechanic to it, because in this format I could basically just sit here and play forever, collecting bananas to make up for the very rare life I lost. Maybe "Travel a certain distance to get to the island" or maybe a way of speeding things up as the player plays, to make it more and more difficult, with a high score in time at the end. I think this would add something cool to the experience.

Anyway, nice work, it plays super well! :cheesy:

nihilyst

I agree with ThreeOhFour. The game looks nice and feels satisfying, but I would appreciate it to have a goal like a finish line. Also, when I pressed Esc to see if there is a menu, the game crashed with this message:
Spoiler
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x004D5015 ; program pointer is +379, ACI version 3.3.4.2, gtags (1,4)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.
[close]

Slasher

Hi

Based on an earlier version (I intend to play revised version soon).

Whilst this game is very straightforward and uses simple mechanics (which are not always as easy to implement as it seems), I found it rather charming and had a giggle or two.. I thought monkeys could not swim (laugh). I loved the graphic style.

arj0n made this game fairly quickly (I think he wants to beat me for game making time (laugh)) and i think he has done ok.. Imagine if he took his time, but then that is what monthly mags is all about.

I will update my views when i have played the latest version...

arj0n

Thanx nihilist, seems I missed a little bug while fixing some yesterday... Fixed now.

Thanx ThreeOhFour & Slasher.
The game didn't came with a score system because I wanted to finish it within given time, and therefor left some ideas out.
But now there's a little and basic score system added. Hope this make the game a little more challenge-able :)

v1.5 is up now

selmiak

I joined the fun from 1.5 and got to say this is a fun game. Especially when you consider it was done only in a month.

Matsui

I was eating foam banana sweets while playing this. I think I had the ultimate experience with the game.

Fun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk