Engine Test

Started by nihilyst, Fri 26/08/2016 03:00:14

Previous topic - Next topic

nihilyst

Hey folks,

it's been some time since I made my last game (almost 10 years, in fact), but I've never given up the thought of making one again. In the last few weeks, I've gathered some ideas, but I figured it would be best to start small. Very small. So I did. I powered up the newest version of AGS and in the last two days I got huge parts of the "engine" done. You see, I always wanted my adventure to be top-down style (a la Richard and Alice or Darth's classic A Friend Indeed (and maybe many more)) and fully keyboard-controlled. I thought I would take ages to even getting the walking done, but as of now, I have a huge chunk of important functions already working, and I would appreciate you guys taking a look at it, telling me if you like the controls and the style and the feel this is going for.

Download here (6 MB)

Use cursors to walk, e and f to interact, TAB for inventory.
Stuff like combining items or using items on the surroundings (there is no instance of this yet, so no need to try) should be self-explanatory. I hope. Some responses to wrong combinations don't exist yet.

All you can do is walk around (with randomized footsteps and shuffles), talk to your frozen mom, pick up the coat hanger from the wardrobe and the shirt from the floor, combine the two, and look at stuff.

The dialog controls are not working properly yet, i. e. you can finish the dialog using the number keys, but when a dialog option gets turned off, the remaining options don't renumber themselves. Thus, even though dialog option 1 and 3 remain, you have to type 2 to select 3, since it's the second item on the list. Don't know how to fix this yet, but I'm on a vacation for a few days and can't work on it anyways.

As the main character sprite I've ripped Chrono from Chrono Trigger for this demo. I suck at animation. When/if there ever will be a new game from me, I will need someone to help me with that :D

cheers and thanks in advance! :)
nihilyst

Mouth for war

Nice! I always enjoyed your graphics style :D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Darth Mandarb

I think it goes without saying that I'm a fan of this style but I'll say it anyway!

nihilyst

Thanks. I've gotten a hold of the dialog problem now.

Will update soon with new screenshots.

arj0n

Quote from: nihilyst on Fri 26/08/2016 03:00:14
if you like the controls and the style and the feel this is going for.
Yep, controls work fine. I've always liked the top down perspective style, or in your case, the faux-top down perspective style.
Really hope you're going to make a game out of this!

(ah yes, The Adventures of JP & Cosmo... still remember that one)

EDIT:
Probably not that important or already tackled, but:
Spoiler

(in room 1): RawDrawImage: Sprite 22 colour depth 15-bit not same as background depth 16-bit
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk