Kingdom Intro - Concept Artwork

Started by tigris, Mon 29/08/2016 19:36:33

Previous topic - Next topic

tigris

I've had this image lying around for a while in my old art folder. I don't know what game it will be implemented in. But, I think, it's a promising artwork that I might use as part of an intro scene for an adventure game. It looks like a distant, abandoned kingdom in the middle of nowhere.

Painted in Photoshop. Completely original, from imagination. No references, aside from brief glances at castles and mountains, were used.

Member of AGS Discord channel: https://discord.gg/XHHjZCe

Andail

Hello, tigris. If you read the rules in the GiP forum, you'll probably realize that this post doesn't really cut it.

I put it here in the CL instead. This means that you might receive feedback on it. If you don't want this, say so and I'll remove the thread altoghether.

tigris

Thanks for letting me know, I may have made a mistake in choosing the right section.

I will be more mindful in the future. CL it is.
Member of AGS Discord channel: https://discord.gg/XHHjZCe

Andail

Ok, it seems that you're not against receiving c&c on this piece then, so here goes:

Right now it looks a bit odd because you have many styles clashing. Parts of this picture looks like rather crude 3D, some objects are partly fuzzy, partly sharp. The large size isn't really justified, considering the low definition, but also the composition - the lower center area is extremely empty.

There are also way too many artefacts, probably coming from the high compression; remember that even jpg can be saved practically losslessly if you just choose best quality.

The general composition mostly works, although I'd definitely crop the lower fifth of the picture; that would reduce lots of unnecessary space, and it would also lower the horizon (which is currently dead center) making it more harmonic to look at.

Lighting largely works - the sun hitting the tower sides and the remote mountains is rather good.

If you want to, I could whip up a little paint-over to illustrate some of my points.

Crimson Wizard

I would honestly question the lack of gates :). That makes the wall defenses look silly, because anyone can enter through the open passage.

Unless it is implied that they got destroyed, since you mentioned that the kingdom is abandoned, but in that case there probably should be rubble around.

Mouth for war

There's something about this that makes me think about "Another world" not sure why...maybe the colors. I agree though that it looks quite inconsistent. Choose one style and stick with that. There is potential for sure but it needs some fixin' :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Blondbraid

I like it, the color-scheme is beautiful and the horizon with mountains look lovely,
but as others have mentioned before, it looks inconsistent and I personally think some areas would benefit from a little more detail and texture.
I also have a little trouble making out the white square structure in the middle, I can't tell what it's supposed to be.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk