RIP Gene Wilder

Started by Mandle, Tue 30/08/2016 01:59:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

One of the true greats is gone... :(

I grew up with Gene Wilder from watching "Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory" many times as a kid, and then getting into his work with Mel Brooks and with Richard Pryor as I got older.

He was also one of my mum's favorites and so his movies were some of the rare common ground where we could both watch and laugh at the same movies together in my teenage years.

It would be nice to think he is now somewhere in a world of pure imagination.

Mouth for war

I was actually thinking about him the other day. I was thinking if gene was still alive or not then this happens...i love blazing saddles. Awesome movie! Rip. Gene
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Danvzare

Gene Wilder's dead! 8-0
Such a shame. :~(

Although the only film I know him from, was "Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory", so I'm hardly a fan of his.
But still, I recognized the name.

CaptainD

Don't think there's ever been anyone quite like him.  I particularly loved his performances in Young Frankenstein and The Producers.  Goodbye Gene, you were a true great.

Slasher

"He said a dirty word" (laugh)

RIP Gene

Retro Wolf

I'm running out of childhood heroes!

Danvzare

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Thu 01/09/2016 21:08:05
Especially this year.

You know, it's years like this that makes me glad I'm not a celebrity.

Retro Wolf

Adeel

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 02/09/2016 12:15:21
Spoiler
Quote from: Retro Wolf on Thu 01/09/2016 21:08:05
Especially this year.
[close]
You know, it's years like this that makes me glad I'm not a celebrity.
Wow. You're so full of yourself.

Danvzare

Quote from: Adeel on Fri 02/09/2016 22:20:46
You have no idea just how true that is. (laugh)

Mandle

Adeel

Quote from: Danvzare on Sat 03/09/2016 10:55:30
Quote from: Adeel on Fri 02/09/2016 22:20:46
You have no idea just how true that is. (laugh)

Time to get over yourself.

Mandle

The most touching thing I've heard since he died was his reason for wanting to keep his illness a secret for the public:

According to family members: “He simply couldn't bear the idea of one less smile in the world.”

What an amazing and selfless outlook on life!

He was also incredibly honest in an interview when asked if he thought the public had expected him to mourn for Gilda Radner forever:

Anchor Aaron Brown asked Wilder if he thought that fans of his and Radner's relationship would want him “to forever mourn, not to be happy.”

“I think some people do,” Wilder said. “And I feel sorry for them, because, if you found happiness, real happiness, then it would be stupid to waste your life mourning.

“And if you asked Gilda, she'd say, don't be a jerk. You know, go out, have fun,” Wilder added. “Wake up and smell the coffee, you know. I wouldn't waste my life mourning. Would I want to erase the memories I have, the good memories? No, of course, not. But I wouldn't want to mourn for the rest of my life.”

I'm gonna go get some of his books and start reading them.

Retro Wolf

Last time I went to London I went to see the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory musical, the guy was technically a better singer than Gene but I remember thinking there's no beating Mr Wilder!

Mandle

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Mon 05/09/2016 18:35:30
Last time I went to London I went to see the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory musical, the guy was technically a better singer than Gene but I remember thinking there's no beating Mr Wilder!

I can totally see hear what you are saying:

Gene had the heart to back up his lack of professional singing ability...

I cannot hear the line "...a world of pure imagination..." in any other voice except his...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk