GNRBLEX - Steam release [RELEASED]

Started by WHAM, Wed 31/08/2016 08:57:46

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

Do you have what it takes to save the Gnrblexian mind-maggot from total extinction?

Game is now released! Check out the new forum thread at:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=57359.0
TRAILER IS NOW UP, CHECK THE STORE PAGE!
GRNBLEX is finally up on steam, with a release date planned for 26th of July 2019!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1060560/GNRBLEX/

This is the question you will be tasked with answering in GNRBLEX!

The game was originally developed and released for the MAGS competition back in July, and due to it getting such a warm welcome I have decided to retool the game to give it some new bells and whistles.

New features being developed:

> Improved visual quality: enhanced backgrounds, new animations, improved GUI elements [COMPLETED]
> An actual options menu: sound sliders, improved save/load functionality [COMPLETED]
> A full new soundtrack [90%]
> New sound effects and general sound quality improvement [COMPLETED]
> New puzzles: some puzzles had to be cut out due to the MAGS time constraint, but these are being re-added to the game [COMPLETED]
> Improved intro visuals [COMPLETED]
> New outro cinematics [COMPLETED]
> Full voice acting [COMPLETED]

(Below: comparisons between the old and new background visuals)

Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Cassiebsg

Looks great. :)
Let me know when beta is ready. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Two Tales

I'm in the middle of playing the MAGS version now (and liking it!). I'm pleased there will be a more polished version.

ThreeOhFour

I've been meaning to play this one, but the announcement of this version makes me want to wait for the shinier version! Good luck getting this thing tightened up!

WHAM

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 31/08/2016 20:24:54Let me know when beta is ready. ;)

Will do!

Quote from: Two Tales on Thu 01/09/2016 16:15:05I'm in the middle of playing the MAGS version now (and liking it!). I'm pleased there will be a more polished version.

Happy to hear you are liking the game so far. I hope to have enough new content in the final version to make a second playthrough worthwhile!

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Thu 01/09/2016 18:08:22I've been meaning to play this one, but the announcement of this version makes me want to wait for the shinier version! Good luck getting this thing tightened up!

Waiting is a valid strategy as well. The core of the game will stay the same even with the new added content and personally I always prefer to go into games blind so they can surprise me. :)
I only hope I can make it worth the wait.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

WHAM

Progress update:

> All rooms now have a foreground layer with some minor detail and/or shading effects to give the game a more atmospheric feel
> I now have an artist working on a whole new batch of music for the game, with the aim being to replace all of the royalty-free Kevin MacLeod -music with original pieces.
> So far I've had 15 people auditioning for voice acting roles, and I think I have very good matches for most of the roles. More auditions are still accepted, though.
> 1 new puzzle has been added to the game with a few more still remaining to be added.
> 6 new GUI's have been added to the game as well to serve as basis for interactions and new puzzles.
> Game now has a proper options menu which will allow players to adjust volume levels and some minor visual aspects such as lights flickering in certain rooms.
> All old GUI's are going through an overhaul to make them easier to use. Some players reported issues with closing GUI's with esc and righ-click, so now all GUI's come with an actual "close" button. The right-click script was also fixed so that it should now work no matter what you are hovering over.
> Several old GUI's are also getting a visual upgrade to make them more in line with the rest of the visuals (I'm looking at you, chair control panel with your flat gray background!)
> GUI's opening and closing are now animated, making the game look just that little bit more polished than before.
> Added a proper tutorial for the game to help first-time players get oriented

With all the new puzzles and voice acting, I'd expect the game to get pushed from a "short game" to a medium-length game that'll take an hour or two to complete on your first run.

That's all for now, more info coming up as the project evolves!

-WHAM

WHAM

Progress update:

> One new minor puzzle added towards the very end of the game
> Scripting overhaul to how the game ending sequences are triggered is complete and less prone to glitching out
> Voice actor auditions are completed and I have four voice actors assigned to the project
> Metric fuckton of bugs and issues fixed with another 20 or so minor issues and visual fixes still on my "to do" list

I moved to a new apartment late last month and that whole affair took a lot more time than I expected it to take, so the project has suffered a few weeks worth of delays.
Work continues, however, and I hope to have the game out to testers by end of the year.

WHAM

The game is now feature complete, although it is still missing voice acting, cutscene artwork and new music.

If you would be interested in testing the game in it's current state, please let me know via PM!

-WHAM

WHAM

Bumping up to post a status update:

The game remains feature complete, but is missing additional cutscene art and music, as well as the final round of playtesting once I have the release candidate in my hands.
I have, however, top people working on resolving both of those two issues. Top people, I tell you! Assure you, even!

The game also now has full voice acting, with four talented actors having recorded their lines for the project. Gnrblex will be the first game I've produced where I won't be doing my own voice acting, which I consider a bit of a milestone for my projects here. :-D

What I'm saying is: project is NOT dead! In fact I am trying really hard to finalize everything and release this thing before the end of 2017, though due to issues beyond my control this may not be possible.
If you'd like to test this game prior to release, more testers are always welcome. Drop me a PM if you're interested!

Cassiebsg

Ohoo... Looking forward to test this one with voice. (nod)
Keep up the hard work!

Darth Mandarb

Glad to know it's still going strong!

Please check the image links (in the first post) they aren't showing up for me! (I checked them manually and got 404s)
Thanks! Looking great!

WHAM

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Mon 23/10/2017 16:22:50
Please check the image links (in the first post) they aren't showing up for me! (I checked them manually and got 404s)

Thanks for pointing that out! Dropbox dropped (Ha! A pun!) support for direct links a while back, so most of my stuff stopped working there. Moved the images over and re-linked.

WHAM

Merry Christmas to all!

See, even the Gnrblexian mind maggot is wearing a festive little Santa hat to celebrate!

This one's a bit of a progress (or lack thereof) update and also a personal update this time around.

Cutscene art: The artist I had been working with on plans for cutscene art has, due to more pressing engagements, had to back down from the project. As such I will be looking out for a potential new (paid) artist, with a backup option of using my own pixel art in lieu of the finer slideshow art envisioned for the cutscenes in order to ensure project completion.

Music: The artist working on the music is having major issues as well and it is looking like they will not be able to provide a full soundtrack for the game. A new musician is already in the works of taking over and, if necessary, may be up to overhauling all the music in the game so that, thanks to a single artist, the musical style can be more of a complete whole.

Personal: For my own part, a lot about this project has been set back and downed in priority due to some fairly major health issues. I have been on sick leave from work for the past 7 weeks now (I think) and will remain out of action until the end of January. Between late November and early December I had to spend 3 weeks in the hospital and had some fairly major surgery, of which I am currently recovering at home. Stress, lack of sleep and other health related issues have me basically unable to get anything done right now, and I fear this state may well go on for weeks from now. Hopefully no longer than that, though.

At this time I would slate Gnrblex Redux as potentially release-worthy during late Q1 of 2018, or at the latest, end of Q2 2018.

Will we manage it, or is it all just wistful thinking? Only one way to find out!

Be well, you fine AGS forum folk, and I hope to have this, and maybe some other projects, out next year for you all to enjoy!

- Tomi "WHAM" Kähkönen

Cassiebsg

Stupot

[delete}

All the best to you, Tomi! Been always looking forward to when WHAM posted something here. And merry christmas to you, Gnrblexian mind maggots!

WHAM

Time to remind people that this project is still very much alive.
After some major difficulties during 2017 and 2018, with my personal health and 3rd parties working on the project, I am finally able to push and, and am seeing progress!
A new artist has begun working with me on the project to deliver an original soundtrack, and work is progressing smoothly once more.

I've been optimistic before and failed to deliver, but right now I am once more hopeful that GNRBLEX - Redux might see a summer 2019 release date!

WHAM

GNRBLEX is finally up on steam, with a release date planned for 26th of July 2019!

morganw

I was wondering why I couldn't find it...
Quote from: WHAM on Tue 09/04/2019 18:49:49
GRNBLEX is finally up on steam, with a release date planned for 26th of July 2019!
I worry the game name is going to be prone to these typos.

WHAM

Yeah, the name itself was originally an in-joke about being a word that was impossible to pronounce correctly, so it's not very marketable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk