Novels / Novellas based on adventure games (indie or not)

Started by CaptainD, Fri 18/11/2016 21:20:39

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Has anyone ever written a novel/la of their pointandclick?  Or had one written?  Or ever seen one?

I ask because I'm writing one now for one of my own games, and it occurred to me that I don't remember ever seeing such a thing - but years ago I remember often getting a novella with a computer game, for instance Starglider 2 and Elite 2: Frontier both had books with them (though in the case of Frontier it was several short stories rather than one novella).  I seem to remember other games doing similar, but can't remember specific examples.

Cassiebsg

GK had a comic, not sure if that's what you meant though. (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Amayirot Akago

GK also had 2 official novelizations by Jane Jensen herself, but they're pretty rare.

I actually remember a friend of my brother's once wrote a book report on Monkey Island :=

There's also things like the King's Quest Companion that gives a walkthrough for the game written like a novel, if you wanna count that.
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Stupot

Are the GK novelisations that rare? I've got the Sins of the Fathers book at home (by which I mean my mum's house). Hope she hasn't chucked it.

CaptainD

I was thinking more of specifically a novel / novella based on a game, but graphic novels etc are cool too :)

SilverSpook

I am planning to do a graphic novelization (possibly a straight novella) of Neofeud once the game is out, or possibly earlier.

There appears to be a good amount of interest from people who don't necessarily play adventure games (or video games generally) who would be interested in the story, and they've already paid like multiple times the price of the game through Patreon so I feel obliged to pay them back/forward. :)

Danvzare

I once made a comic based on the first game I ever thought of making on AGS. And then I eventually made a game that served as a prequel to that comic.
It was all really REALLY bad though.
But it's serving quite well as inspiration for a reboot. :-D

As for novelizations (or similar things) of existing popular Adventure games. One kind of comes to mind, although it's an Action Adventure game, so I guess it doesn't count.
The one I'm thinking of is Red Guard, it came with a comic that served as a prequel. :-D

Snarky

Stupot

I just remembered I got this out of a Japanese library a couple of years ago.

Of course, I was unable to read most of it and got barely a few pages into it. Oh well...

CaptainD

Aw I bet that would be a great story!  Loved "The Dig", to me still one of the most atmospheric AGs I've ever played.

On a similar subject I've done a guest post for an online acquaintance called "Turning short stories into computer games, and back again":
https://kevintipplescorner.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/guest-post-dave-seaman-on-turning-short.html

AnasAbdin

Some of you probably already know that I'm creating short comics explaining the backgrounds of Tardigrades' characters.

Relevant, I started anas-tronaut as a blog with my daily thoughts and sketches a few months before I learned about AGS :)

CaptainD

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Tue 29/11/2016 09:06:04
Some of you probably already know that I'm creating short comics explaining the backgrounds of Tardigrades' characters.

Relevant, I started anas-tronaut as a blog with my daily thoughts and sketches a few months before I learned about AGS :)

Danvzare

Woah, there's a book based on The Dig! 8-0
You know, seeing that makes me wish there were books based on all of the classic LucasArts Adventure games. I'd probably read most of them. :-D
Hmm, the same probably goes with the Sierra adventure games as well.

Snarky

Well, there's a comic adaptation of Fate of Atlantis, a TV show based on Maniac Mansion, and Ron Gilbert wrote up one of the design documents for Monkey Island as a short story...

CaptainD

On a similar note, do you miss the days of getting physical goodies with a game?  I particularly remember the newspaper that came with Zak McKracken, and the various "clues" that came packaged with "Murders in Venice"?  I mean it's not like I even buy physical copies of games anymore but they were nice things to have.  Oh and the map that came with Pirates! along with the manual including the "Memoirs of Captain Sydney".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk