Space Residents

Started by Funkpanzer, Wed 31/08/2016 19:00:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Funkpanzer

*UPDATED November 15th 2018*

Space Residents puts you in the role of three characters travelling the known galaxy collecting data and artefacts from abandoned settlements and facilities, attempting to piece together the events that fractured human civilization as you complete missions for unseen AI employers.

As of now the character select system, item swapping, and shop systems are complete. I've also got near completed backgrounds for the shuttle and most of the main space station. Gameplay will be focused on exploration, simple puzzle mini-games, and keeping your crew alive. You'll have a main goal in each location but will (hopefully) be encouraged to take your time and explore.

This game is still very early in production. The story and primary questlines have been written but there is still a lot of art, coding, and music for me to do so please be patient. :)

• Story: 99% (roll)
  • Scripting: 10% (UI, main hub and shopkeepers working!)
  • Graphics: 10%
  • Sound: 5% (UI and inventory sounds are complete)
  • Music: 0%

If you're interested in the original OP and concept:
Spoiler

Research resident Garth Bolon and his team are sent to planet Barokk and tasked with retrieving a mysterious alien sample from a remote research facility. Upon arrival it's clear that something has gone awry and it's up to Garth and his team to save the day! Will these intrepid heroes make it out alive, and when they inevitably do, will they make a safe return to Orilum space station? When they make it back to the station will some item from their initial quest wreak havoc on their lives and all those they hold and cherish? At that point will they, through ingeniously combining seemingly unrelated items that they have acquired through their travels, find some way to save the day but through a cruel twist of fate reveal an underlying evil that threatens to destroy the cosmos!?

• State of the art 160x100 EGA graphics!
  • Gripping adventure spanning 3 floppies!
  • 3 new and exciting locales!
  • CD quality music and SFX!

I still haven't decided if I will be releasing Chapter I in three mini episodes or as one mid-sized story but at this point the first act is completed, FMV's and all!

• Story: 90%
  • Scripting: 33%
  • Graphics: 50%
  • Sound: 10%
  • Music: 15%
[close]

arj0n

This is SO my cup of tea!
Great job!

CaptainD

Looking forward to this one - all the best with development.

AnasAbdin

Quote from: arj0n on Wed 31/08/2016 20:04:46
This is SO my cup of tea!

This is SO my cup of everything!
I want this NOW

Cassiebsg

Oooohhh :-D
* Cassiebsg want

Good luck with this, looks greats! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Retro Wolf

I like how the first people to comment are the EGA and SciFi fanatics! Looks awesome!

Frodo

This looks fantastic!  :grin:

I *NEED* to play this!  :cheesy:

NickyNyce

Looks great! This is right up my universe. Looking forward to playing.

Funkpanzer

I was weary of posting this while working on so many other AGS projects going but I'm glad I did!

Here's a sketch that might get reused as "box art":

ThreeOhFour

This looks very good! A fun premise and wonderful graphics. I really look forward to playing this game, keep up the good work! :cheesy:

CaptainD

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Wed 31/08/2016 21:53:30
I like how the first people to comment are the EGA and SciFi fanatics!

The very best sort of people! :-D :P

Mandle

Retro pixel-art and futuristic sci-fi themes...I dunno...Has it ever worked before? (laugh)

I'm kidding of course...It looks great...

It's exactly my cup of Pangalactic Gargleblaster!

CrashPL

Count me in too! Gotta love that sexy 160x100 EGA graphics! :D Best of luck with the project!

selmiak

this is totally my blue cup of tasty pixel goodness with a catchy funny story! Keep us posted! 8-) :-D

SilverSpook

I'd buy this just for the fact that it comes on a floppy!  Besides the game looking pretty retrotacular!

Funkpanzer

Thanks guys!

selmiak was kind enough to lend a hand and try out the first act and made a lot of helpful notes and suggestions. I've made a lot of improvements and decided to reveal more of the story earlier and develop the characters more. So... this is now my third game that went from fun side-project to full on narrative that won't be done anytime soon! :kiss:

Here are a couple of new animations!

Cassiebsg

Looking good... :)
And know the feeling... (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Chicky

This looks really cool dude, that steam animation is on point ;-D

AnasAbdin

Animations are super smooth ;-D
This will take me at least 2 decades back 8-)

selmiak

This steam looks splendid, can't wait to try a newer version. Please answer my last pm ;) 8-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk