Feedback on game music

Started by LeisureSuitGary, Thu 01/09/2016 09:03:35

Previous topic - Next topic

LeisureSuitGary

Hey folks,

So I'm a guitar player and singer songwriter who got asked recently by a friend to write some music for his adventure game. It's a melancholic game about a boy lost in a forest. The game looks beautiful and spoke to me of mysteries and sadness.  It also brought to mind beautiful piano music which was problematic because I'm a guitar player and didn't have a keyboard.

Anyways, after a bit of searching for MIDI keyboards for sale I found a great weighted keyboard and bought Synthology Ivory, which is a great virtual piano.

I then set about teaching myself piano and wrote this short theme with a view to expanding it if he likes it. I wanted to get some feedback on it before I send it to my friend though. I want to make sure that it's high enough standard given that I'm not really a piano player (thanks MIDI). Here's the track:

In the Silent Quay

Thanks for any feedback.

Danvzare

That is some really great sounding music. :-D

I'm surprised that not only is that MIDI, but that you've only just recently learnt yourself to use a piano. Because that music is superb.

And it does sound very melancholic as well. I like it.

Slasher

Minor chords are melancholic (nod)

Being a guitar player defiantly helped with the notes (nod)

Mandle

Very beautiful piece and fits the mood you descibed very well...

One slight thing:

The note at 2:06 is quite heavy and jarring for me in an otherwise flowing piece...

Maybe that one note could be toned down slightly?

Problem

That's a beautiful piece! The composition is fine and it definitely captures the mood you were going for. The mix is a little muddy, and the bass notes feel a little "boomy" in places. It might help to tone down the lower mids (and maybe some of the bass) of the piano to clean things up and get a more balanced sound. A "solo" piano sound is a complex beast can be more difficult to mix then one would expect. I also got the impression that the piano is panned a little too much to the right.
But that's just the sound. The composition itself is good and it will work very well in an adventure game.

KyriakosCH

Very nice slow drift indeed! 8-)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk