Dynamics in a game (or in a dream)

Started by KyriakosCH, Thu 01/09/2016 17:22:33

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

To parallel our 'reality'/life with a 'game' is nothing new; it has been around at least since the 6th century BC. Yet the notion of a 'game' would seem to contain the notion of something 'not in the game', for example as a small child one plays a tabletop, and is accepting to be restricted by the game rules there, but they are conscious that the setting of that game will be replaced later on by the overall setting of their 'reality'. If one parallels actual 'reality' with a game, what would be the non-game area there?

This is a small theme in some of my works, but given i am working on a computer game it has lately gotten more of the focus thrown on it. In the computer game part of the issue is where exactly you are. You may be in a dream - but that is not certain; in fact there are other explanations according to which you are regularly conscious and just weird things are happening.

How could one identify if they are in a game -- or alternatively, in a dream -- if such a sense is (for whatever reason) not readily available to them?

Of course, in some settings, it may well be infinitely more soothing to believe you are in a dream. Cause if not, well... you are in a far worse situation ;)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Danvzare

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Thu 01/09/2016 17:22:33
How could one identify if they are in a game -- or alternatively, in a dream -- if such a sense is (for whatever reason) not readily available to them?
Easy, jump off a high ledge. If you land unharmed or see a game over screen, you're in a game. If you wake up, you were in a dream. And if you break your legs, you're not dreaming or in a game.
There's only a very small handful of games that I know of that you can break your legs in. And falling always wakes you up. So there you go. :-D

Jokes asides, I like this... uh... thing. What should I call it? Philosophy? Setting?
Whatever it is, I like it. (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk