I am going to resign, this time for real

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sun 11/09/2016 18:20:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicky

Best of luck for your next project CW, I second all that has been said, you've given a great deal to the community and should be proud of what you have accomplished.

If you decide to give AGS as a whole a bit of a break that's perfectly understandable, but please do pop into the forums from time to time and say hi :smiley:

Retro Wolf

Good luck mate! Though I want to see an AGS game out of you at some point! ;)

Danvzare

Like Andail said, stick around the forums and talk. Because we'll miss you if you don't.

As for the engine. Just screw it. You worked on it for years on end and you did a good job on it. You may not think you did a good job, but everyone else clearly does.
And in my opinion, that's all that matters.
Now stop being masochistic and find something enjoyable to do! :-D

Crimson Wizard

To elaborate, I am still releasing 3.4.0 (hopefully on this week BTW). And probably be around fixing bugs in it for some time, because it won't be nice to leave the version with some crashes in it.

CrashPL

Hey man, I completely understand you. If you can't find any joy or motivation in something you invest your free time on, it's not worth to just drag it any longer and force yourself to do stuff. You already did an amazing job at taking care of the AGS code, implementing new things and bugfixes, as well as being close to the community and listening to the engine users. And the fact that you still wish to release 3.4.0 and fix any issues that may pop up is mostly admirable.

Thank you for working, supporting and taking care of such amazing and easy to use engine, as you did a perfect job at it. If you wish to take a break - please do so! You really deserved it. :) But be sure to give us a visit from time to time!

xil

One of the most important things I think we all have to learn at some point in life is that it's not always a bad thing to look out for number one.

You have given so much to this community / AGS as an engine in general and that's a huge achievement and one that I (and many others as you can see) are very, very grateful for.

But take some time to look out for number one, go do something that _you_ want to do, or go do nothing at all, sometimes that's just as good :)
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

m0ds

If you need to step away from it for a bit, step away. If you need to walk away from it entirely, walk away. Not many people take on projects that have an unclear end goal. You, and many of us, gave an end goal a second thought about 4 years ago. Since then it's pretty much just drifted, and you've done a tremendous job on that drift... a lot of people speak highly of your work on the engine. I use 3.3.0 and the most complicated function aFart.Play(), so not sure if I'm using CW tech personally, but what you've put in, what CJ walked away from, 4-5 years ago, hasn't gone un-noticed! But a project should be fulfilling. If this isn't fulfilling then don't feel guilty about that, accepting it (as you have done) is a commendable thing to do. Point being, you've done more than any of us could ask for in the first place, it's a-ok to take some moments for yourself, and even better that you can share openly that it's a period where you need to cool off. A lot of people will just burnout and disappear without explanatiCHRIS JONES. Nice one CW! ps. AGS 4, ftw. As discussed but pushed aside into the drift, 2012.

ThreeOhFour

Thanks for all the time you've put into AGS and the valuable additions you've made to the engine. Sorry to hear that you feel some regret and frustration because of it, all big projects leave me with some regrets, but again, your work has been very useful. Maybe you don't feel like you've done it the right way, or the best way, or that you wasted time, but many of the additions that you've implemented have been what's helped us to keep using the engine. Very appreciated mate! :smiley:

Dave Gilbert

Just wanted to add to the praise. You work on the engine has been instrumental in keeping this engine viable. I was on the verge of giving up on it entirely before you released an version that removed a large number of my frustrations with it! :) Though we might not say it enough, we are VERY grateful for everything you've done and you more than deserve a break - permanent or no. Either way, I hope you stick around the forums. Best of luck with whatever you do!

straydogstrut

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 11/09/2016 18:20:24
Somehow it happened that I never was able to complete any project in my life... like at all... I kept quitting all the time.

Don't sell yourself short: You've made a massive contribution here. You need to look after yourself and definitely take some "me" time if you're not enjoying it any more. Try something else - express yourself in some other way - to generate some renewed energy. Be kind to yourself.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Tue 13/09/2016 22:40:50I was on the verge of giving up on it entirely before you released an version that removed a large number of my frustrations with it!
I think I already mentioned this few times, but sadly the part of the issue was lack of feedback and public consensus on what should be fixed top priority. I did a lot of things of low importance, simply because I was actively asked for them; and spent a lot of time trying experimental things, because I did not know what is best to do exactly (some of them were not even released eventually).

Sometimes it felt like race against time, while not having clear definition on what I have to do.

CaesarCub

I know I'm new to the forums (well, I have lurked around for years, but never posted).
And I agree with everyone else, you have kept AGS code alive and added features to it which we all are very thankful for.

You should most definitely relax and do stuff you enjoy now.

LameNick

Hi CW, I'd like to thank you for all your hard work.
Implementing custom resolutions might not seem worth mentioning to you but you made it happen and for me and maybe for some others as well lack of that feature could quite possibly be a deal breaker.
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Adeel

Man up and do resign for real this time, CW! Good luck!

MiteWiseacreLives!

Thank You Crimson.  (nod)
For the record, you should definitely put "Took AGS Engine to Version 3.4" on your resume.

BunnyDeFluff

Hi Crimson Wizard. I am a total stranger to this AGS engine and the community. I am a simple selfish person. If this engine has nothing that I wanted I will just go somewhere else to find some other engines. This engine, like all the other open source engines, is a thankless job(at least not in the form of money). The fact that you even feel the need to tell people that you are going to quit, made you a far better person than me. So as a selfish and incompetent person that has nothing to give(at the moment) and everything to take, I am going to shamelessly ask you to stay, just because I think I will need you to continue developing this engine for me. And I think a lot of other selfish and incompetent people need you too. I am sorry if I hurt anyone's feeling by saying this.

RickJ

@Bunny +

Danvzare

Quote from: BunnyDeFluff on Sat 01/10/2016 03:52:40
Hi Crimson Wizard. I am a total stranger to this AGS engine and the community. I am a simple selfish person. If this engine has nothing that I wanted I will just go somewhere else to find some other engines. This engine, like all the other open source engines, is a thankless job(at least not in the form of money). The fact that you even feel the need to tell people that you are going to quit, made you a far better person than me. So as a selfish and incompetent person that has nothing to give(at the moment) and everything to take, I am going to shamelessly ask you to stay, just because I think I will need you to continue developing this engine for me. And I think a lot of other selfish and incompetent people need you too. I am sorry if I hurt anyone's feeling by saying this.
You've got honesty, I'll give you that.
Maybe a little too blunt, but still, you're honest.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk