Mechanical Puzzle Designer for the Knobbly Crook

Started by Bavolis, Sun 11/09/2016 18:56:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Bavolis

Project:
The Knobbly Crook

Details:
Enter the surreal, disturbing, and ridiculous world of the Knobbly Crook. O'Sirus the Snip is a simple paper farmer driven to epic adventure by a spooky face with a spookier voice. He will ultimately seek to become a Knobbcrookian royal guardâ€"a Guffaloon. Stories of their heroic battles against the fearsome Bogold empire echo throughout the Crook. Unfortunately, they're not currently recruiting simple paper farmers. He's going to have to use every dirty trick in his book to cheat his way to the top and that means YOU will need to understand the key elements of the Knobbly Crook - Rock, Paper, and Scissors. Creatures of stone crush the metallic Knobbcrookians. The Knobbcrookians herd and farm paper animals. Fearsome stone giants fear tiny paper animals.

Steam review link of Chapter I with "very positive" overall score: http://store.steampowered.com/app/378300/
The Blog of the Knobbly Crook: http://knobblycrook.com

Positions Available:
While I have all of the narrative side covered, but I'm weak on the more advanced scripting side of things. I'd like to add at *least* 1 mechanical (not story related) puzzle to the game to change up the gameplay. Ideally it would be a new twist on a traditional one (I've seen a lot of dial/slide puzzles, etc). A rock, paper, scissors theme would be amazing, but not required. Note that the game rock, paper, scissors itself is not what I'm looking for because it's not a puzzle to solve, it's random chance.

The puzzle would go in the unfinished area at the top of this screenshot:

Ideally, you, 100% confident you can pull it off, would give me a pitch or a demo with placeholder art and we'd discuss how we can work it in. I'd eventually create all the art assets to replace the placeholders and incorporate it into the world. Getting it into the game itself would involve either you explaining to a very code-slow person how to get it set up with copy/pastes or finding a way to just let you work in the game code itself, but ideally you would put together a little self-contained demo of how it works.

Compensation:
Since the game is free, I'm mostly offering you exposure. The small donations I receive on Patreon per month are used to pay for domain costs and my monthly Coca-Cola fuel supply. I do have a lot of people playing the first chapter on Steam and I think a "full game" is going to increase those numbers exponentially. You'd get full credit for the design in the game credits and I'd be happy to make the puzzle-giving/explaining NPC a character of your design, as long as they fit within the Knobbly Crook world.

Deadline:
The game is due by the end of 2015. Well... crap. Ok, so I decided that instead of doing Chapter II, I'd do Chapters II and III together, mix them with the previously released Chapter I, and polish everything. So, this is for the full release. It will still all be completely free for everyone and on Steam. My new goal is "Winter," so there are several months still to work on this. Most of the background work is already done, so I'll be moving on to the actual game progression work very soon. 

Notes:

- Interested parties can reply to this thread or contact me via PM. If I get more than one person interested with multiple promising ideas, I will definitely look at adding more than one mechanical puzzle to the game.
- The game runs at 1024x768. I'm not sure if that has a lot of impact on your puzzle design, but worth mentioning.
- If you are interested, I'd encourage you to download Chapter I and play through - it only takes a couple of hours, but you will quickly understand the whimsical style.
- You gain an industry friend who will likely pester you for more help in future games.

AnasAbdin

I want to offer help but I'm kind of not getting the full image of what's needed  ???
Do you want someone to come up with a complete puzzle and code it as well? If that's so I can throw an idea or two and you can always get code assistance from the Beginners' and advanced Technical Questions forums  ;)

Bavolis

I'm already extremely late on delivering this game, so I was looking for somebody who could tackle both design and programming of it. The good news - I found one by sending twitter people to this thread! In fact, now you'll be able to challenge various people around the Knobbly Crook to rock, paper, scissors, and it turns into a little battle. You'll be able to read "tells" on the enemy to know what they are going to pick next. I should have a preview ready soon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk