Strange DETECTIVE

Started by strangeDetective, Mon 12/09/2016 17:53:33

Previous topic - Next topic

strangeDetective

Strange DETECTIVE

Hi All! I'm new here on the forums, but have been lurking in the background for awhile trying to learn the ins and outs of AGS. After a couple of months of trying to learn the scripting language and designing some artwork I began putting together my first graphic adventure game, which is based on an old "Call of Cthulhu" RPG campaign I used to run back in the late 80's. The game isn't actually an RPG, I'm just adapting my favorite game scenario for the story. I was a little intimidated by AGS at first but this forums been a great help to learn the system, and designing a graphic adventure has always been one of my dream projects. The game will transpire over the course of 4 days, as I have all of the artwork and about 75% of the scripting finished for Day 1, I figured it was a good time to post here. Most of the animations and sprites I'm working with are still place-holders, but as soon as I get them finished I hope to be able to show some of the game play in videos and a small demo. :)

The Plot:
A noir horror-suspense graphic adventure set in the world of H.P. Lovecraft. You're a Private Eye hired to investigate the depraved history and strange events surrounding a derelict mansion in the countryside.

Some screenshots:

City of Arkham, Massachusetts 1930's (in game).

Detective's Office (in game).

Development Progress:

Game Resolution: 1280x800
Story: 75%
Scripting: 15%
Graphics: 25%
Sound/Music: 25%

Expected completion date: Summer 2017

Cassiebsg

This is looking gorgeous! (nod) :-D

What's the game resolution btw? Can~t figure out if these are real game size or blown up screens.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

strangeDetective

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 12/09/2016 18:01:30
This is looking gorgeous! (nod) :-D

What's the game resolution btw? Can~t figure out if these are real game size or blown up screens.

Hi, thanks! I'm designing the game for 1024x768, the in game shots at the top are directly out of the running game.

xBRANEx

Wow! This seems like a great game in the making.

KyriakosCH

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

AndyfromVA

Anything Lovecraft is enough for me.  I'm in.

Blondbraid

Who doesn't love Lovecraft? :)

Mandle

Oh hell yeah!!!

I MUST play this game before I go insane!!! (Or possibly play this game and then go insane?)

Either way! Please continue what already looks like great work, and don't be shy to ask for help from the community with any issues, playtesting, etc!

Best of luck!

strangeDetective

Thanks for all the comments, it's very encouraging! Before I get too far along, I'm currently trying to decide whether to adapt the game's color palette to "technicolor". I'm not going for the usual desaturated gritty/grunge film noir look--I'm kind of liking the old Hollywood technicolor look, like Roman Polanski's "Chinatown". Has a dark edge to it and it's like being in an old movie as in the screenshot here.

Squall_Leonheart

Very good job!
It reminds me Al Capone's movie! A Gangster style!
I'm so curious to ask you a little question:  does it appear as a false 3D panorama in the game? Or is it a very 3D?
However, it's very interesting to see a project with personal resources. Well done!
Good luck!

strangeDetective

Thanks, much appreciated! The game's in 2D I wouldn't even attempt to try to do something in 3D, that's way beyond my skills.

AnasAbdin

Looks very interesting 8-0
I really love the textures and the resolution of the graphics. I open both the images in two tabs to compare the "technicolor" with the original. Honestly I liked the original more but it's all up to you. You can open a thread in the Critic's Lounge at this early stage of production before you'd need to reload all the sprites and backgrounds.
Good luck with the production. I will be honored to play this game (nod)

Two Tales

Great looking eye candy. Good luck with development.

Mandle

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Thu 15/09/2016 09:41:30
I open both the images in two tabs to compare the "technicolor" with the original. Honestly I liked the original more

Same...The original has a moodier feel: The "technicolour" one is just too bright and colourful for me for a Lovecraft mood...

Quintaros

I like the revised colour scheme.  To me it feels more like a sepia-toned photograph that gives it a vintage feel rather than being bright and cheerful.  I don't the Lovecraft story to say whether or not that is appropriate.  But watch-out for requesting this kind of feedback before Darth Mandarb says this belongs in the critic lounge.

strangeDetective

I appreciate all the comments but yeah a little further down the road maybe I'll post some more examples in the Critique's Lounge, it's hard to judge by just seeing one screenshot. It's taking me about a day to script each room, by a few weeks I should have something like a small demo to get some additional feedback on.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Quintaros on Thu 15/09/2016 22:59:59But watch-out for requesting this kind of feedback before Darth Mandarb says this belongs in the critic lounge.

This is okay.

Opinions on which style people prefer is acceptable GiP material.

Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age? (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Fri 16/09/2016 12:43:17
Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age? (laugh)

Number is just an age...

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 16/09/2016 14:38:29
Number is just an age...

Mandle's right.  As the old saying goes: "You're only as old as you feel."

Anyway, nice game here... almost like a spiritual successor to the X Days series.  Almost.

strangeDetective

Been delayed a bit the last few weeks finishing up another project, but work on the demo is underway again. The prologue will be somewhat irreverent and humorous (I hope) like many Graphic Adventures, but by the end of Day 1 there will be no doubt that you're in Lovecraft country.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk