AGS 3.4.0

Started by Crimson Wizard, Thu 15/09/2016 21:10:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

If you game is 1280x720, then it should be listed as "Game resolution". What about games with lower resolutions, do they have this resolution listed normally?

Quote from: Ali on Mon 10/10/2016 16:03:02
I can create a 1280x720 game, and set it to run at 'game resolution'. This runs 1280x720 successfully, however when I run setup again, it defaults back to 'desktop resolution'.
This might be a bug in setup program, it cannot restore the option to saved value (or does not save it properly, idk yet). That happens to me too, even if setup mentions this resolution as supported otherwise.

Ali

If I set the game's actual size to 320x200, then 1280x720 is not listed. As you say, it only seems to appear as 'Game resolution' when the game is 1280x720.

dbuske

Do we still need to turn off object based scripting?
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: dbuske on Thu 20/10/2016 20:09:46
Do we still need to turn off object based scripting?
That depends on what scripting commands you want to use in your game. If you want to continue using old commands, like MoveCharacter instead of Character.Walk, or SetVoiceMode instead of Speech.VoiceMode, then you should turn "enforce object-based scripting" off.

Neo_One

Looks good. However my current develop proyect run in 3.35 version and i'm afraid new version break something. I think it shouldn't happen, i tried alpha version to compile a Linux version and go well (changing Processclick to Room.Processclick).
So i don't know if change to the new version.

Edit. Forget give my thanks for the new version to all develop team.
Edit 2. Alpha version the Linux game version can't play videos. It's fixed?

edmundito

Found a documentation mistake for Character and Object LightLevel while implementing new Tweens. Here's an example for the Character doc, but the Object is also the same:

SetLightLevel (character)
void Character.SetLightLevel(int light_level)

Sets individual light level for this character.
The light level is from -100 to 100.

In 8-bit games you cannot use positive light level for brightening effect, but you may still use negative values to produce darkening effect.

To disable character lighting and tinting effects, call SetLightLevel with parameter light_level 0.

NOTE: Setting a light level will disable any RGB tint set for the character.

NOTE: Character's individual light level OVERRIDES both ambient light level and local region light level.

Example:

cEgo.LightLevel = 100;

This will give character EGO maximal individual brightness.
Compatibility: Supported by AGS 3.4.0 and later versions.

Note that the example implies that the usage is:
Code: ags
cEgo.LightLevel = 100;

But in reality, this will cause an error. The correct way of doing this is:
Code: ags
cEgo.SetLightLevel(100);

I am also surprised that:
1. There is no way to get the light level for character or object, but you can for region.
2. The API for character and object light level do not match region (which is region[ x ].LightLevel = y; and int regionLightLevel = region[ x ].LightLevel;)
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Edmundito on Sat 22/10/2016 19:47:11
1. There is no way to get the light level for character or object, but you can for region.
2. The API for character and object light level do not match region (which is region[ x ].LightLevel = y; and int regionLightLevel = region[ x ].LightLevel;)

I am sorry, this might have dropped from my mind.
I created issues in bug tracker; these properties should be very easy to add.

I wish someone could create general checklist for the missing properties that has to be added.

Crimson Wizard

By the way, I was testing this stuff out and noticed that there is another mistake in the manual (not engine):

To disable character lighting and tinting effects, call SetLightLevel with parameter light_level 0.

In fact, setting character's (and object's) light level to 0 will enforce individual light level 0, which would override region and ambient light levels, similar to how calling Tint() with saturation 0 still overrides region and ambient tints.
The only real way to disable character's individual lighting is to call RemoveTint().

This makes me wonder if changing SetLightLevel into LightLevel property will be a good decision. Because character's LightLevel = 0 will not be the same as "light level disabled".
We would need to add separate property LightLevelEnabled (similar to TintEnabled) to let user know whether character has individual light level set.

cat

Is there a known problem with AGS cutting audio files?

With our current project, we are using very short sound effects (~160ms) in ogg format. When played, nothing can be heard although the file works fine in the editor preview.
For testing purposes, we made a file that contains the short sound twice. When using it in AGS, it is now played but cut off.

My guess would be that AGS does not play sounds till the end. So with very short sounds nothing can be heard. Our current workaround is to add 200ms silence to the end of the sound. However, I think this is worth investigation (or at least adding a caveat in the manual because this is very hard to figure out).

Edit: I just realized that I already posted about this before but noone answered yet:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51050.msg636529615#msg636529615

Danvzare

I've encountered the problem myself. I figured out straight away that I needed to add some silence to the start and end.
Also, maybe it's just me (I've yet to test this theory), but it doesn't seem to cut off the sound when it's in WAV format.

I must admit though, the sound cutting off is a little bit annoying.

Crimson Wizard

@cat, I met some issues with OGG audio being cut before, but not exactly what you describe. I could maybe check what is going on under debugger if you send me the OGG file (or both short and log files).

xenogia

Out of curiosity I tried to build the demo game to Linux from within Windows and it doesn't copy any of the libraries or ags32 to ags64 to the compiled directory. Though it does copy the initial bash script and the directory structure. Odd

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: xenogia on Mon 31/10/2016 23:32:03
Out of curiosity I tried to build the demo game to Linux from within Windows and it doesn't copy any of the libraries or ags32 to ags64 to the compiled directory. Though it does copy the initial bash script and the directory structure.
Could you tell where is your game project located (user documents folder, disk C, another disk)? Might be permissions issue.

Crimson Wizard

So, regarding small OGGs not playing. Cat sent me couple of OGG files and upon investigation I can confirm that the sound library which AGS uses has this issue with OGG and MP3 files. This is related to how it handles audio streams: when it sends final sound partition to device, it cannot know when the sound actually stopped playing there, so it sets some arbitrary "counter" value and waits until counter ends, then tells device to stop. Apparently for very small sounds this counter is not enough to make any of it being actually heard. In the sake of experiment I rised this counter x3 times, and those clips started playing.

I do not feel confident enough to meddle with this right now. Besides I heard Nick Sonneveld is working on replacing audio libraries with OpenAL (which is more up-to-date).

Dave Gilbert

Hm. Interesting. I can confirm this has never happened to me. I use hundreds of short ogg sound effects per game and I have never added silence to the end. Maybe I have just been lucky?

cat

Thanks for the analysis, CW!
I understand that there wont be a fix. But maybe we should make a note in the documentation that very short audio files can cause problems and people should make them longer by adding silence to them?

@Dave Gilbert: Maybe your audio files are longer - it only seems to happen if they are less than, say, 300ms long.

Danvzare

It's nice to finally know what's causing the problem. Thankfully it's easy to work around.

Thanks CW. :-D

Khris

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 15/09/2016 21:10:25- Added support for dynamic array as return value of the struct's member
- Fixed Ctrl+Tab did not work for the first time when cycling through opened editor tabs.

This is so awesome, thanks a ton, CW! I can finally ditch 3.2.1 :-D

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Khris on Wed 23/11/2016 23:34:27
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 15/09/2016 21:10:25- Added support for dynamic array as return value of the struct's member
- Fixed Ctrl+Tab did not work for the first time when cycling through opened editor tabs.

This is so awesome, thanks a ton, CW! I can finally ditch 3.2.1 :-D
Those are other people work actually :) (like Gurok or monkey0506), although I forgot who did what exactly.

The version is usually a mix of many peoples work. I keep wondering if it may be a useful to add information about who did every change to the new version. Or maybe a list of people who worked on particular version? (I noticed some projects do that)

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 03/11/2016 20:15:02
So, regarding small OGGs not playing. Cat sent me couple of OGG files and upon investigation I can confirm that the sound library which AGS uses has this issue with OGG and MP3 files. This is related to how it handles audio streams: when it sends final sound partition to device, it cannot know when the sound actually stopped playing there, so it sets some arbitrary "counter" value and waits until counter ends, then tells device to stop. Apparently for very small sounds this counter is not enough to make any of it being actually heard. In the sake of experiment I rised this counter x3 times, and those clips started playing.

I do not feel confident enough to meddle with this right now. Besides I heard Nick Sonneveld is working on replacing audio libraries with OpenAL (which is more up-to-date).

Okay, I've been adding some voice files to my game today and the mp3 are all being cut off... :~( even the bigger files... I'll see about converting them to ogg and see if it improves.
But is the only solution to cutting sound files still to add silence to the end?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk