Lamplight City

Started by Grundislav, Mon 26/09/2016 00:43:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Grundislav

The Gateway to Vespuccia, the City of Air and Light, Lamplight City—the thriving port city of New Bretagne is a beacon of progress and industrial advancement in the New World. Yet beneath the promises of a shining 19th-century future, the city rests upon foundations of poverty, class struggle, and crime.

For police detective turned private investigator Miles Fordham, Lamplight City's shadowy corners are just part of the territory. But with his former partner constantly speaking to him from beyond the grave, his grip on sanity is slowly loosening. Can Miles find justice for his clients and track down his partner's killer before his entire world comes apart?

Lamplight City is a detective adventure set in an alternate steampunk-ish "Victorian" past.

Features:
- Five cases to solve, each with multiple potential suspects, false leads, and lasting consequences.
- Single click interface and no inventory (gather clues in your casebook)
- An entire fictional city with four boroughs to explore, each with their own unique flavor.
- A whopping 640x400 resolution!
- Heavily inspired by the works of Edgar Allan Poe and Charles Dickens.

Estimated Release: 2018

Brought to you by:

Screenshots

Navigate the filth and squalor of Cholmondeley, AKA "The Chum."

Investigate the homes of the fabulously wealthy residents of Lyon.

Explore the borough of Gascogne, inspired by New Orleans's French Quarter.

Search for clues in Worcester, the working class part of town.

Interrogate suspects and witnesses in a closeup view.

The dead hold just as many secrets as the living.

The residents of Lamplight City make their voices heard.

Steam Store page

Mark Benis, the game's composer, has released a preview album of music from the game's prologue. You can pay what you want now, and receive the full album free when it and the game are released next year!

Track Listing:
1. Lamplight City
2. Partners for Life
3. The Slums of Cholmondeley
4. The Stakeout

Check it out on Mark's Bandcamp page!

AndyfromVA

Awesome looking!  Can't wait!

Jack

So Poe Dickens finally gets a name. ;)

Sounds mighty interesting, and gorgeous backgrounds too.

Mandle

I knew just from the name that I was going to fall instantly in love with the game, and the screenies have confirmed it! Can't wait and best of luck!

DBoyWheeler

Dang!  I bet this'd be great on Steam too!

Nixxon

This looks sick!

If that air ship is animated in the first screen.. yum.

UI sounds intriguing.

Bavolis

AnasAbdin

Love the look of the screenshots  (nod) I see a lot in common to my favorite game Gabriel Knight too! Best of luck with this  :)

CrashPL

Absolutely love the first screenshot - everything about it is perfect. The atmosphere, the colour palette, the air-ship-blimp-thing in the background... awesome! Can't wait to try this one out. :D

Amayirot Akago

From Shardlight to Lamplight, eh? ;) Looking forward to this.
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Gribbler

Looks very intriguing. It has Gabriel Knight vibe written all over it. Hope it doesn't get too Blackwell-ish (friend's ghost).

Andail

Looks great, Francisco!
I've shared this to all my Twitter friends already!

Blondbraid

The backgrounds and portraits look simply marvelous, I look forward to seeing more of this game!

luisdementia

This is awesome. I can't wait to play this.

Snarky

Beautiful graphics and an intriguing premise. Looking forward to it!

Stupot

Looks beautiful. Nice one Grundy. All the best.

Igor Hardy

Looks absolutely giraffous! :)

Hobo

Am I the only one who's slightly bothered by the visual inconsistency? You've got beautiful (640x400) painted backgrounds mixed with low color pixel art characters from the other dimension resolution.

While both components are well crafted, they don't really seem to mix for me. It just feels somewhat jarring when an 8x8 pixel doorknob uses way more colors and looks more detailed than the character standing next to it. I understand the possible reasons behind it, but I'd say that instead of looking incredibly fantastic, the game only looks adequately enjoyable like this :)

Loving everything else about it though! The setting is very promising and I'm hoping that having no inventory will be a refreshing experience. Have a fun time making the game!

m0ds

Nice looking and intriguing, best of luck dude!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk