MAGS October "Genre Shift" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Fri 30/09/2016 23:37:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Voting has finished and the results are as follows:

• cheKKen by cat and Raeff - 4 votes
• Sonic and Friends in: Club House by Slasher - 6 votes

Well done Slasher. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for December.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Sonic and friends in: Club House by Slasher

cheKKen
by Cat and Raeff

Click on the game title to download.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: Genre Shift
This month's guidelines were set by Crystal Shard.

Have you noticed how big companies take an existing concept and use it everywhere? For example, there's Pac-Man the Boardgame. Super Mario has starred in anything from racing games to party games to a full-fledged RPG. World of Warcraft is a MMORPG that started as a strategy game and now has everything from a trading card game to collectible figurines to a movie. But why should big companies have all the fun? We can do that too!
The goal for this month is to take an existing game (of any age) and remake or demake it in a different genre. For example, you could take a first-person shooter like Doom and remake it as a point-and-click adventure... or you could take Monkey Island and remake it as a platform game! It's fine to make it a parody or change the names, as long as you make clear which game you were inspired by. No further restrictions.

Ending:  October 31st

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Mandle

WOW! Such a cool theme! I will be too busy in October to participate, but I'm sure looking forward to seeing what people come up with for this round!

Stupot

Yeah, my mind is racing with all the possibilities. I was thinking of a Mario Kart prequel in P'n'C form where he has to find the parts to actually build his Kart. Feel free to nab that idea, anyone. It's not like I can copyright it, anyway.

Slasher

Hi,

Inspired by 90's platform Sonic the hedgehog (and friends).

if I get enough free time my idea would be: "Sonic and friends: Club-House"... A number of famous 90's platform characters will join Sonic and will work as a team.

This game will come away from being just a 'platform' game and become a full point and click ags adventure game.

Each player will have their own personal skills. Incorporating Inter-changeable main player.

Solve problems and complete tasks as they try to complete their 'Club-House' opening.

Who will be your favorite character? (laugh)

Update:
Sonic and friends obtain the lease to a house that they plan to turn into their 'Club-House'.

They find that the house is in more than a need of a few repairs as a man calls to repossess the house...(laugh)

Further Update: All the characters will naturally be my own work based on the originals.

luisdementia

The theme is really cool, and I also have some ideas. Idk if I'll have enough time to participate, though...

CaesarCub

I love this idea, and my mind keeps making up stuff like a Loom Arkanoid, I'll see if I have the time to whip out something.

Quote from: slasher on Sat 01/10/2016 09:20:59
Inspired by 90's platform Sonic the hedgehog (and friends).

Hahaha, this reminds me of a friend that tried to convince me to make an AGI Sonic game, because he loved the idea of having Sonic move super slow around the screens, this is as far as I went:

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/zOx4Zfb.jpg[/imgzoom]

I'm sure I must have the walk cycle saved somewhere :P

Radiant

DBoyWheeler

Yeah, I'm (kind of) in the middle of my own game... but I could so see for instance...

Mega Man X, Zero, and Axl in a Quest for Glory style game--except with a futuristic feel, natch.

Or, Quest for Glory done in a Zelda-style game.

Or Space Quest as a Mega Man clone, even?  (At the very least, Space Quest done in the style of Commander Keen)

Amayirot Akago

>ROLL AROUND AT SPEED OF SOUND_

"I don't understand 'roll'"

I actually had an idea to make a DOOM game AGS using the original sprites which didn't quite take off. Dunno if I'll be able to put anything together but I wish everyone the best of luck, this seems like a fun theme :D
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Slasher

"Sonic and friends: Club-House"

Original remakes:

DarkWater

Quote from: Amayirot Akago on Sat 01/10/2016 15:30:48
I actually had an idea to make a DOOM game AGS using the original sprites which didn't quite take off. Dunno if I'll be able to put anything together but I wish everyone the best of luck, this seems like a fun theme :D

A couple years back I was thinking about doing something similar with DOOM sprites/textures, but an RPG version. Question is, would that be an option here? Usually one can't use pre-existing assets with MAGS, or does this month's theme throw that restriction out the window? In the guidelines above it does say “No further restrictions.”

Blondbraid

Quote from: slasher on Sat 01/10/2016 18:35:53

I recognize Sonic, Tails and Luigi well enough, but who's the one in orange? :)

VampireWombat

Amayirot Akago

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sun 02/10/2016 20:12:50
Quote from: slasher on Sat 01/10/2016 18:35:53

I recognize Sonic, Tails and Luigi well enough, but who's the one in orange? :)
That's Alex Kidd, Sega's original mascot who had a few games before being supplanted by Sonic.

Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

VampireWombat

I beg forgiveness from any Castlevania fans.

[imgzoom]http://i65.tinypic.com/11tsdw7.jpg[/imgzoom]

Slasher

Early gip screenshot

Mandle

Quote from: DarkWater on Sun 02/10/2016 18:31:38
Usually one can't use pre-existing assets with MAGS, or does this month's theme throw that restriction out the window?

Can we get an official ruling on this from either the theme chooser or Stupot?

This might be a major factor in people deciding if they are in or not...

I would bend in favour of allowing ripped graphics and other assets from games to be 100% acceptable:

Or else we would be asking everyone to recreate the assets from at least 2 games that dozens of devs worked on for months or years, and to get that done within a month as well as building a game out of it...

So...what's the ruling?

Slasher

Good point Ross,

I myself ripped the characters (to copy) for my game but I made my own versions by redrawing them...I mean, sonic without sonic..preposterous (laugh)

Mind you, to just rip and use.. Possibly...

Stupot

I'm inclined to stick to the official rules. Granted, we're ripping off other people's IPs already, but it's better to have some fun making new genre-shifted versions of them with a personal touch.

Slasher

GIP video teaser

[embed=700,450]http://youtu.be/j3CfQ9Dk6bA[/embed]

Cassiebsg

Damn... and think all I did in the same time was one idle view for my game. :-[
You shame us all! (nod) Looking good, keep it up!
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Dog Rat

I really doubt that I'll actually do this, but the theme made me wonder: can I pull out a graphic adventure out of one of the most popular but also hated games of the last years? So I started drawing and this is what I got so far.

Spoiler

[close]

If you're lucky enough to not know these characters, they're from Candy Crush Saga.

Stupot

Hey gang. It's quiet in here. Any news or progress? (wtf)

Slasher

Let Sonic answer that Stupot (laugh)

[embed=700,450]http://youtu.be/_MliGbo1arI[/embed]

VampireWombat

Quote from: Stupot+ on Mon 10/10/2016 06:57:13
Hey gang. It's quiet in here. Any news or progress? (wtf)
I still haven't finished any backgrounds or even figured out how to even make the game actually work. So... no. Not much progress at all. But I do hope to get 1 or 2 backgrounds finished today.

cat

Raeff and I are working on something. Progress is slow but steady, let's see if it works out in the end.

Slasher

VampireWombat:
We've over two weeks to go... put in extra time and finish it...

cat:
slow but steady is good, but do put a spurt on before time runs out...

Hope to see both your games (nod)

Good luck to all (nod)

Meanwhile 'Sonic and friends' is on schedule to be ready by the closing day..

VampireWombat

Quote from: slasher on Thu 13/10/2016 10:25:10
VampireWombat:
We've over two weeks to go... put in extra time and finish it...
Luckily I got ideas last night on how to do some of it. So I plan to at least do some rough sketch backgrounds and setup some rooms today.

Slasher

Sonic is now at the testing stage...

VampireWombat
QuoteLuckily I got ideas last night on how to do some of it. So I plan to at least do some rough sketch backgrounds and setup some rooms today.
Good luck and I hope you are able to give us a game (nod)

Slasher

New Video (not quite sure what happened near the end)

[embed=700,450]http://youtu.be/ASH3QxT0D78[/embed]

Slasher

Blimey...this place is quiet (laugh)

Mind you, I expect tons of great stuff will be coming this way very soon (nod)

I'v shown you mine now show me yours (laugh)

Nose to the grindstones guys...

VampireWombat

I still I have 2 weekends to work. Since I'm not struggling with my own art style like I was in the past and I should already have the knowledge for doing the majority of the stuff for the game, it shouldn't be a problem.
I did finally get around to setting up the base GUI yesterday, but I need to make it look nicer. And none of my backgrounds are finished, so all I have that I could show are images of Simon...

Slasher

QuoteVampireWombat: so all I have that I could show are images of Simon.
Just have a large image of Simon and make a game to see if you can pick his pockets without him noticing (nod)

VampireWombat

Quote from: slasher on Sat 22/10/2016 10:20:05
Just have a large image of Simon and make a game to see if you can pick his pockets without him noticing (nod)
That sounds like a joke, but I'm not completely sure. If it's not a joke, then I have absolutely no idea how to do coding for such a thing.
But I am about to work on graphics for awhile. So I should have something to show by the end of the day.

Miez

Quote from: cat on Tue 11/10/2016 08:51:30
Raeff and I are working on something. Progress is slow but steady, let's see if it works out in the end.

Cool! Looking forward to that :D

Mandle

Quote from: cat on Tue 11/10/2016 08:51:30

As long as it's a genre shift between the FPS/simulation/VR genre of "Eruption" and the point-and-click genre of "Toffee Trouble in Creamville" then I'm excited!!!

Slasher

Hi

My entry for this months MAG..........

Sonic and friends in: "Club-House".

Inspired by 90's platform game Sonic the hedgehog (and friends).

This game comes away from being a 'platform' game and becomes a Point n Click ags adventure game.

A number of famous 90's platform characters will join Sonic and will work as a team including: Tails, Alex Kidd and Luigi.

Incorporates Inter-changeable main player. Interact (hand) with any player to make them take the lead.

Each player has their own personal skills and inventory.

Carry out house repairs and complete tasks.

Story:

Sonic is left the lease to a house by his uncle Colonic who is recently deceased, in his Will.

Sonic and his friends plan to turn the house into their 'Club-House' for secret meetings and party's.

The house needs a few repairs doing before their club house opening night.

* Watch out for the fiendish Eggman who has a surprise for them all!

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2101/

Slasher

Where is everybody hiding 8-0

"Come out of the closets you boys and girls" (laugh)

VampireWombat

I'm still slowly working on mine. It's going to end up being more condensed than I'd have liked, but I'm going to do what I can the remaining days.

Twirlly

I've been working on something in my free time since day one, but the graphics alone take me forever since my artistry is lacking at best. It consists of me manipulating basic shapes to look somewhat like things I want. Plus I over reached as usual with too many rooms :(, but still hoping I can pull it together for a finished playable game.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

cat

Raeff and I present you our MAGS October entry

cheKKen

What if chess wasn't a game of clever minds but of quick fingers?
Find out in this two-player fighting game in the spirit of classic arcade games.

[imgzoom]http://www.clowdergames.com/games/cheKKen/screenshot.png[/imgzoom]

Download cheKKen here

Player 1 shall use the A and D keys to move left and right. Use W for blocking
and S for attacking.

Player 2 shall use the J and L keys to move left and right. Use I for blocking
and K for attacking.

Beware that this is just a demo we might or might not expand...

Amayirot Akago

I am totally in love with this concept :D And the title.

VampireWombat

With less than 2 hours to go, I honestly don't know if I'll be able to finish in time. It's borderline.

Stupot

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

cheKKen
by Cat and Raeff

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR VOTE
Send the title of your favourite game under the subject MAGS OCTOBER

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: November 15th

@VampireWombat - I haven't got the time to offer an official extention. Needed to get this done now. But if you can finish your entry today I'll be able to quickly add it to the voting. Good luck :-)

Mandle

OMG cheKKen!!!

DOWNLOADING NOW!!!

What a cool idea, you two! Luv yas!

EDIT: Just played the game and it was amazing in its retro arcade feel. I know it's a demo and obviously you would need all the chess pieces and quite a few more fighting moves to make it into something people would want to come back to and play again and again. An AI opponent campaign would also be nice: in itself a huge challenge, and the final Boss is the king obviously...

But I do see the potential of this idea to really take off and become a popular game outside of the AGS community...

And I used to LOVE playing Battlechess back on my old c64, even though I suck at chess. So, with your game, even people who can't play chess for the life of them can still claim to have won a game.

Don't forget a special announcement for beating the king: "CHECKMATE!" in an awesome FPS announcer's voice like "MULTIKILL!"

Slasher

QuotecheKKen by Cat and Raeff
Whilst the game is cute in itself and it is quite fun to knock the hell out of each other, and I know its a kind of demo but it's all over in a flash and the scripting really was not over hard. I would say it should have had at least 8 levels with variants as it is it's a one-roomed wonder that ends not long after it begins which is a shame.

None-the-less: Not a bad bit of chess thumping (laugh)

Not quite cigar time :~(

raeff

Quote from: slasher on Tue 01/11/2016 12:22:53
Whilst the game is cute in itself and it is quite fun to knock the hell out of each other, and I know its a kind of demo but it's all over in a flash and the scripting really was not over hard.

Hey guys, please bear with me... This was my first attempt at coding a game with AGS. And it was my first attempt at coding a fighting game. There is still a kick-style lower attack on the to-do-list, which I couldn't finish in time. And there are even more vague ideas floating around... So, depending on spare time and a proper mood we might flesh out the game a little more. No firm promises though :grin:

Kind regards, Raeff.

Stupot

I just tried it. I enjoyed bashing the bishop very much.

Slasher

Quoteraeff: Hey guys, please bear with me... This was my first attempt at coding a game with AGS. And it was my first attempt at coding a fighting game
If this is the case then you did well with your first game in such a short space of time (nod)

Riaise

Another fun game from Slasher! I really like the use of different characters in this one, and the puzzles were very good. Great work! :D

cheKKen by Cat and Raeff

This game has a lot of potential, and works really well as a demo. The concept is great, and the graphics and animations are lovely. A full game would be fantastic!

Slasher

I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of entrants this month. I hope it picks up next month (nod)

Stupot

Quote from: slasher on Sun 06/11/2016 08:06:40
I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of entrants this month. I hope it picks up next month (nod)

Yeah. There are many factors at play. But I've come to think that more conceptual topics (like shifting genres) tend to get a lot of early buzz but little in the way of participation.

Twirlly

I will say I loved the topic and really did intend to submit an entry that I was working diligently on, but did not complete in time. I was somewhat hoping for a small extension like VampireWombat, but can't be upset since everyone has the same deadline. Which isn't a big deal except that I'm sure most of us like more entries to play and vote for. I will post my game to the completed games thread sometime soon (as there is no rush now) for whomever to play.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Stupot

Sorry Twirly. I missed that you were also working on something. Of course what I said to VW would have applied to you too. That's totally my fault. I hope to see the game soon. It will get special mentions :-)

Everyone. 5 more days of voting. It's pretty close but we could do with a few more voters, if you have time :-)

cat

Just finished Sonic and I must say, it's a nice little game! I enjoyed that each character had his own special abilities and how they had to work as a team. I also enjoyed the puzzle about walking on the roof.
I just wish that it was a little more polished, for example when
Spoiler
using the toolbox on the tap there was just a generic response. I'd have expected some information that there is no appropriate tool inside and was a bit confused why I can't do it.
[close]
Also, Luigi walks to some weird locations after interacting with any of the kitchen cupboards.

Slasher

Cat:
QuoteI just wish that it was a little more polished,
If I were not working on two other games i would have done a bit more but as it is I never really got the time.

Thanks for your comments ;)

cat

Stupot

Voting has finished and the results are as follows:

drumrrooolllll...

• cheKKen by cat and Raeff - 4 votes
• Sonic and Friends in: Club House by Slasher - 6 votes

Well done Slasher. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for December.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

cat

Congrats Slasher, it was a fun game!
Thanks to the people who voted for cheKKen!

Cassiebsg

Congrats to both! You both winners just by the fact you released a game for MAGS! (nod)

Oh no! We seem to have lost 2 voters this time around! :~(
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Slasher

Hi,

Whilst it was nice to win this months MAG the number of entrants was dismal to say the least.

Thank god for cat's and Raeff 'cheKKen' entry which was a bit different and quite fun ;)

Come on you game makers: Take time out for the next MAG and give us your 'September song' (nod)

We're still waiting for the Crimson flash to make an appearance (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk